I want a new pedal to stack with my FuzzFace

knut

This is probably a worn out topic, but I couldn't find any threads about it.

Anyway, my amp is too clean for my FuzzFace to sound good (all fizzy and harsh. you know), so I have a Maxon OD9 (TS9) in front of it. I like the way it makes the FuzzFace sound, but I'm not sure I like way the Maxon sound anymore. It's too boxy.

So, I'm looking for a OD pedal to stack with my FuzzFace. Shoot!

analogsystem

You can also add a gain stage after the fuzz face to simulate the way the FF would sound into an amp that is already clipping or compressing a little. Something like the lovepedal Les Lius could work. I've had good luck with a Rat pedal set very clean in this application. There are no rules!

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
a dls after the FF works pretty good.

Probably any discrete overdrive pedal will work one way or another.

OotMagroot

Definitely put a MIAB type after the Fuzz Face. I put a Lumpy's Albion after mine. I set the Albion for lowish, medium gain and then boost it with my BOG Fuzz Face. On the FF I keep the volume up pretty high but put the Fuzz at 10 or 11 o'clock. So, it acts as more of a fuzzy boost.

stilwel

Silver Supporting Member
I've had really good luck with either an Xotic SL Drive, ZVex Distortron or TC Electronic MojoMojo after my Fuzz pedals. Turns my Hot Rod Deluxe clean channel into an edge-of-breakup Marshall thing and then the fuzz sits really nicely on top of that.

knut

Thanks, guys.

I really like the DLS and have been curious about the Les Lius, so I will consider those.

Have any of you tried with lower gain boost pedals like the Sex Drive, Rangemaster and clones?

knut

Try putting your TS9 after the Fuzz Face. I always run mine like this and it sounds great.

I do, but I think it came out wrong in the first post.

My signal chain is: guitar -> fuzz face -> tubescreamer -> amp.

It's the Maxons own sound I'm not too sure about, though.

Right now, a Vox AC30 while my Victoria Victorilux is being serviced.
I mean, it sounds fine. It's just that it sounds kind of sterile and boxy so it gets boring and uninspiring over time.
I love Tubescreamers, but I don't tink they are that great when it comes to emulate an overdriven amp. But they shine when used to push your amp into overdrive. Personally(!) I think Tubescreamers aren't that great with AC30s, but that's just my preference.

When using the screamer with my Fuzz Face (Analogman Sun Face) I generally turn the drive knob almost all the way down and crank the level knob. That way I get my Fender amp into overdrive and smooth out a lot of the fuzz' harshness when used with an otherwise clean amp.

knut

I love Tubescreamers, but I don't tink they are that great when it comes to emulate an overdriven amp. But they shine when used to push your amp into overdrive. Personally(!) I think Tubescreamers aren't that great with AC30s, but that's just my preference.

When using the screamer with my Fuzz Face (Analogman Sun Face) I generally turn the drive knob almost all the way down and crank the level knob. That way I get my Fender amp into overdrive and smooth out a lot of the fuzz' harshness when used with an otherwise clean amp.

Yeah, that's what I love about them too. But since my Victoria basically never break up and I'm using guitars with low output I have to depend on amp emulations.
But I haven't tried this setting in a while, so I'll give it one more shot.

Paul C Timmy stacks well but have no clue how they will work with a fuzz. This will add presence but also a little smoothness.

Voodoo Sparkle Drive may be a better TS clone since of its blend/mix knob adding the clean signal. This will add cut / mid-boost and presence if you want that. I'm not really a fan of TS pedals but my friend swears by the Sparkle Drive. I think a Pork Loin seems cool but never played one myself.

I second the Barber LTD. Or maybe try the Barber DD or Xotic BB Preamp. Any of these will add girth (mostly the former two) and smoothness (especially the BB Preamp).

Just depends what you want to accomplish. Unfortunately though, I never tried these with a fuzz pedal, just a dist or O.D.

knut

Paul C Timmy stacks well but have no clue how they will work with a fuzz. This will add presence but also a little smoothness.

Voodoo Sparkle Drive may be a better TS clone since of its blend/mix knob adding the clean signal. This will add cut / mid-boost and presence if you want that. I'm not really a fan of TS pedals but my friend swears by the Sparkle Drive. I think a Pork Loin seems cool but never played one myself.

I second the Barber LTD. Or maybe try the Barber DD or Xotic BB Preamp. Any of these will add girth (mostly the former two) and smoothness (especially the BB Preamp).

Just depends what you want to accomplish. Unfortunately though, I never tried these with a fuzz pedal, just a dist or O.D.

Thanks.

Based on Youtube videos, I'm not sure Timmy is my thing, but I will look into the Barder LTD.

jota

When I had a Fuzz Head, my favorite stacker was the boost side of the King of Tone after the Fuzz.
I miss the Fuzz Head...

Ivo

Giggity!

Truth is, I've liked almost everything I've stacked a FF into. Different flavors of awesome.

Trending Topics