I want a New Strat- Suhr, Vinetto, Tyler or Fender CS

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dewman, Feb 12, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Any thoughts?? Leaning toward vintage sounds but a meaty guitar with oompf with all pickup settings. Thinking of alder with rosewood board, dont know if I'll go Suhr or Lollar or Fralins, but likely close to one of those pups.

If you get Suhr with SS frets and no BFTS is it vintage enough??

2. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I'm not a huge fan of SS frets, but consider a big neck for big tone! Also Henderson noticed an increased low end due to locking Sperzels. It might be true, my Suhr modded CS has those, and low end to spare. YMMV

It might not be from Leo's era, but I really like BTFS. No experience with Lollars, but Fralins are good, my favorite lately are the FLs. Good luck!

3. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

Great Strat with oomph = a Grosh Retro Classic w/ Fralin Blues Specials in my book.

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Alder with a rosewood board is a good idea for what you are looking for. Make sure the maple of the neck is quartersawn---it gives your guitar more punch and authority. From Suhr, that is a $50 upcharge.

In my experience, the SS medium frets do not take away from vintage tone at all. I like my guitars to have the BFTS, but NOT intonated that way. If you go with a Suhr, they will do it that way for you. It stays in tune better than standard, but open strings in chords also ring true. The best of both worlds, IMO.

5. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

"Oompf" says Tyler to me.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Play a Grosh before you buy a Suhr.

7. KennethC

KennethC Member

Never tried a Vinetto, but I'd actually say Fender CS for vintage sounds, in that list. Suhrs and Tylers have always come across as leaning towards the modern strat sound, at least for those I've tried...they're generally a bit beefier and have more oomph than usual strats too. You can def still find a nice and relatively meaty vintage sounding CS or masterbuilt strat, but you must try it out to find that tone you want. If I wanted a more modern sound I'd order a Tyler online in a jiffy(I actually just have...), but for vintage sounds I'd hesitate to buy one till I try one.

8. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Silver Supporting Member

I'd definitely go with the Vinetto. Never thought I'd fall in love with another strat style other than the Grosh Retro Classic, but after recently playing a Vinetto my attitude has changed. I mention this in another thread on the Vinetto. Still love the Grosh RC but also want a Vinetto now. Have played the Suhr, Tyler and Fender CS but they didn't really connect with me.

9. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

That was my thought as well...

10. XKnight

XKnight Member

For vintage sounds I'd go with a used CS Fender NOS Time Machine, Closet Classic or Relic. The used market seems flooded with these right now and they are a great bargain. Problem is finding them in your area so you can play them first. If you order a new one to your specs from an authorized CS dealer, it will cost you and you still won't be able to play it before buying. I think the wait on a new CS order is about 6-8 months, so at that point you mine as well go for one of the small company luthiers.

If you frequently buy and sell guitars, you're best bet is any good used custom offering that is close to the specs you want. Let someone else take the depreciation hit up front.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Dewman...PM sent about a Chapin Stratahoula I may sell.

12. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Have both Suhr and Tyler......both great...but I like the Tyler for more vintage feel and that you have to "fight" it a little......Suhrs are great too but more modern feeling and a little easier to play. Just my opinion

13. Figher53

Figher53 Member

The Vinetto I played was far superior (to me) to any of the Suhrs, Tylers, or Fender CS's that I've played. Absolutely wonderful guitar.

14. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Not on your list, Dewey, but of the boutique strats I've played (no experience with D'Pergo or GVCG and that ilk), but Grosh have the most vintage vibe, to me. That said, my Tyler is my favorite guitar. It's my 'do everything' guitar ... a bit modern, yes, but it works for me.

Out of your list, I think I'd look for a good Fender CS. Fat Sound usually has a few.

16. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

As XKnight said take a look at a CS Time Series. I just got a '60 NOS that I'm totally impressed with, the pups have such a full tone. I have a Suhr that's a great guitar too, so you can't go wrong with either IMO.

[​IMG]

17. cholula69

cholula69 Supporting Member

Hi, relatively new to the forum and this thread caught my eye, being a lifetime single coil player.

Have you looked at Bill Callaham's guitars? He also makes some nice pickups in three different winds from Fralin.

I have three sets of Lollar's: Blondes, Tweeds, and he made a specially wound set for me buy increasing the core inductance by adding screws into the coil through the base plate on the pickup and staggering the magnets to match the fret board radius, if you ask him he can probably make you a set. I keep them wired up on a pick guard and swap out as needed.

Guitar wise from your list I would say Fender's new player strat offers a lot of bang for the buck and you can always swap out parts to upgrade if you like.

18. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

You should be looking at a new Chapin Stratahoula with the new doulbe secret probation switching system...Email Bill and find out.

19. micjonga

micjonga Member

I own a Suhr and love it but it's a SSH model for doing more modern styles. For pure vintage feel and vibe, a Grosh with fralins is hard to beat. I've sat down at Boutique Guitar Exchange in Atlanta and just get lost playing a Grosh. Excellent vintage vibe and feel to me anyway.....

My $0.02 worth.

20. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

To me the most vintage feeling of the big boutique Strat type builder's always have been Grosh. That said I'm very partial to my Tylers when it comes to Strats.