• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I want a pick that...

56_Special

...has the tone of a Fender Medium but that doesn't start to wear out in half a song. I love the tone, especially on the bass strings, of a brand new Fender medium. But the wear out so fast. The edge gets rough and it starts to get raspy. There are longer wearing picks, like V-Picks, agate picks, and Tortis picks and they sound cool too. But they tend to produce darker and fatter tones. Is there a long lasting alternative to Fender Mediums?

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Gold Supporting Member
Have you tried Dunlop Ultex? It is pretty durable, whether or not you'll find it tonally similiar is another thing.
The orange Tortex (.60) are pretty close to the feel of a Fender medium IMO, even though they are thinner the material is stiffer than celluloid. The yellow ones (.73) are much stiffer than a Fender medium even though they're about the same thickness.

Jemlite

Fender mediums don't last me half a song either... I found Ultex .73's are comparable in tone, grip better, and last at least a night of playing. The flex may be a touch heavier.

marsos52

if could be the strings you are using is killing your picks i blew thru several v-picks when i starting using dean markley signatures

i switched to another string and the v-picks had no problem. i have tried several other strings and even dean markleys in another model no problem

so it can be the strings

KBN

Have you tried Dunlop Ultex? It is pretty durable, whether or not you'll find it tonally similiar is another thing.
The orange Tortex (.60) are pretty close to the feel of a Fender medium IMO, even though they are thinner the material is stiffer than celluloid. The yellow ones (.73) are much stiffer than a Fender medium even though they're about the same thickness.
The colored picks are Tortex. The ultex are all kind of a tan color. Unless they changed them very recently...

Trending Topics