• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I want a PRS S2. Vela or Standard??

bluescube

I finally have enough cash to buy a PRS S2 Vela (or maybe a S2 Standard 22 / 24)

I really like the retro features and pickups. However, my G&L Fallout is already pretty similar in concept....and I really don't want to sell the Fallout or have a redundant guitar. Maybe a Standard 24 with humbuckers and trem would be a more reasonable PRS purchase? I've always wanted a PRS, I've had an SE before.

TTHX

I'd get the standard 22 or 24. You already have a fallout, it'd be redundant. I'd suggest playing both the 22 and 24 first. They feel different in terms of playability even just from the extra 2 frets from my experience. I ended up with a black satin standard 22. Very good good, super stable and stays in tune great with trem use.

Reactions: MGT

cinnamongrizzly

Silver Supporting Member
I really like the Vela (and Starla), personally. I'm not sure it's totally redundant vs the Fallout...the bridge pickup is filtertron-esque, and the neck pickup isn't quite as beefy as a P-90.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
Between the two... The Standard will give you a better all around guitar. The Vela has it's own vibe that's very cool but is not as versatile.

Carbohydrates

S2 standards are awesome, especially if you're leaning toward the HH arrangement. Just get some brass or steel saddles for it - they come with zinc which is eh.

hackenfort

Silver Supporting Member
Just my opinion but I'd be looking for a used PRS Std 24 over anything on the S2 line (only because most trades offers I get are people looking to get rid of their S2's)

One of my favorite PRS's in the Mira X - if you can find one, they are very affordable, play/sound great.

bluescube

Yeah, I upgraded my Tribute Fallout with USA brass bridge over zinc and Hipshot tuners. Pickups are great as-is being G&L USA spec.

I'll have to check local PRS inventory soon

bluescube

Just my opinion but I'd be looking for a used PRS Std 24 over anything on the S2 line (only because most trades offers I get are people looking to get rid of their S2's
One of my favorite PRS's in the Mira X - if you can find one, they are very affordable, play/sound great.

My budget is around $800 which gets a nice used S2 or new SE

Chicago Slim

I've owned 6 core models and 6 SE's. I bought my first S2, used, last month, and couldn't be happier. I would make my choice by bridge type. You can't go wrong with either. If you like to change pickups, I would go with the Standard.

jklotz

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Vela, which did not fill my needs, however, it was a very well built guitar. Fit and finish was outstanding.

My impression is you can't go wrong with any of the S2's.

Whitecat

Vela. Literally just today they announced a satin nitro edition too that the order books are open for for a short while. I'd have one of those and never look back. It's the best S2 model by several orders of magnitude.

bluescube

I'm afraid the Vela would make me sell my Fallout at a loss

It's seriously what I would want for my #1. My other guitar is a Tribute ASAT classic in matching orange stain.

I'm thinking that the Standard 22 or 24 would compliment my two hot rodded Tributes. A Vela would mean sell both.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom