I want a Standard Reissue VOS SG, but I want the batwing pickguard...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rubbersoul, Jan 21, 2012.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I know, many don't like the large pickguard, but I love it. Has anybody ever had the larger pickguard installed on an SG that didn't originally come with it? I'd most likely get someone to do this...wouldn't want to literally start screwing around on the guitar.

2. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Won't fit, the neck set and pickup locations are slightly different and the batwing doesn't overlay the entire footprint of the small guard which follows the cutaway bevel.

3. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Ahh man...well, I guess that takes care of that. Thanks for the info though.

4. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Why not get the real deal like a '69/70 SG Standard? Not that far off price-wise

5. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Well, that's probably not a bad idea. I guess I ought to start looking some of those up. I just figured the prices of vintage SG's would be out of my price range...guess I shouldn't make assumptions before I look.

6. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

What is it about the regular USA SG Standard that doesn't gibe with you?

7. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Well, I assumed (probably shouldn't though) that the historic reissue SG's would be better than the USA's, like I've heard so often about the LP's.

8. HHB

HHB Member

I bought a 1997 SG. A few weeks ago. One of the best Gibson I've ever tried. Batwing all the way!

9. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

Folks either love or hate the batwing. I think the look is fine either way but I don't like how the batwing tilts the pickups at an angle relative the strings. Small guard SG's have angled pickup rings (like LPs) that make the pickups flush to the strings.

Not sure why this bugs me but feel it's kind of a fatal flaw.

For anyone in the know, would this angle effect the tone or response of the pickups?

10. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

Robby Krieger 50th anniversary SG is pretty awesome looking. and alot less than CS

11. guitaristanyc

guitaristanyc Senior Member

The Historics are sweet, but there are plenty of great USA Standards out there - there's not a massive difference in quality.