I Want A Strat. I Also Want a Shredder. Suhr?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by critter74, Feb 23, 2015.

1. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

So I have been wanting to get another nice MIA Strat. Deluxe or possibly the new LE Solid RW neck in Daphne Blue. However I also have been craving another Ibanez Pretlstige guitar. I sold the one I had years ago and until recently was OK with it. But I want another one.

I don't have the space (or justified expenses) for 2 more guitars (actually 3 more as I am in the market for a Semi-Hollow for a Jazz combo I might be playing in soon). The more I look into it, the more I'm starting to think a Suhr S type with H/S/S configuration might be the ticket. I've played one before and it was nice but not what I was looking for at the time. And I don't rember enough about it to say definitively it would work double duty for what I want.

So what says you: will a Suhr S Type scratch both those itches? I'm not looking at one of the baller higher end ones. Don't need bling or anything fancy. Just a nice Strat type guitar with a shredder-ish neck.

2. aaron1433

aaron1433 Member

I think the h-s-s config sounds like a good fit. A suhr would get you there, but so would many other guitars with that pickup layout. No doubt they make a great guitar but playing one will tell you more in 12 seconds than 12 hours of research on tgp. If trying before you buy isn't an option maybe at least see what the craigslist or local shops have that might be on that track.

That said, I have lucked into two grosh guitars that always feel like home after I play other fender style guitars briefly

I'm not that into locking trems but the newer joe satriani signatures look awesome and might be a great contender for what you're describing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I love the SSH setup for this very reason, and it works especially well on my Suhr.

4. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I love my Suhr classic antique with HSS. I've had plenty of 'superstrats' with that pickup configuration, but this particular one just pushes all the right buttons for me. Their necks are amazing.

5. critter74

Well sure, playing one will tell me more. But I'm more than likely not going to get a chance to play one before I decide. And not all H/S/S are built the same so it's tough to know if I will be able to get the Strat sound I want out of it (I've had plenty of guitars with the H/S/S config that sounded nothing Strat like. But I didn't swap the pickups either so that could have been a lot of it).

I'll more than likely be buying it "blind" but I know enough of what im looking for in neck dimensions to make a somewhat educated guess on if the specs will work for me. But as we know, perfect specs doesn't always equal perfect feel for the player in question.

6. cardinal

cardinal Member

HSS Ibanez guitars are hard to come by. If it were me, I'd buy a cheap H-S-H RG550. Suhrs are nice, but I personally don't prefer them to Ibanez and the cost difference is immense.

7. 8len8

8len8 Member

Wrong forum????

8. jrjones

jrjones Member

Music man reflex.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Haven't you heard of the amp called Strat?

10. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Hss is the ultimate in flexibility. Never played a Suhr but I think it would be a good choice for what you are after.

11. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

My Suhr Standard is a plain Jane, but plays awesome!

[​IMG]

12. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

Carvin....Awhile ago stumbled across a used carvin DC135...maple neck through, hardtail, hss, ebony, ss frets, hb coil tap, locking tuners though change out the tone cap to a 50's piw for a definite vintage vibe. ...love it and imo the neck is a shredder.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

14. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

15. critter74

First- yes wrong forum, sorry guys. Mods please move it if needed.

Second- That Lipe looks sweet. I am a sucker for that natural burnt almond look too. That would be my ideal finish.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will more than likely be looking to buy used. I might try to trade a 25th Anniversay PRS McCarthy P90 with solid Indian RW neck and Brazilian Fretboard. But I'm nit sure yet. I like the guitar a lot but not sure if it's me. If I'm going to have money tied up in something I need to be 100% about it. Other than the solid RW neck, not sure if I'm there yet with it. It is a very sweet guitar though.

Anyways thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming if you have 'em.

16. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Suhr's are great guitars, I'd love to have one. If you have the money I'd jump on it.

I wasn't in a position to buy one so I bought a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS QMT. They go used for $1200-1400.

Ebony board, locking tuners, maple top. Build quality is excellent...custom shop level.

[​IMG]

17. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

The Lipe Virtuoso is tough to beat, but you may want to look at GJ2 guitars. Either the Glendora or Shredder might fit the bill.

18. mac1215

mac1215 Member

this guy might have your answer:
    [​IMG]
    don't dismiss the obvious...

19. critter74

No. Can't and wont do scalloped frets. That's a definite no for me unfortunately.