I want a turntable... But which one?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by archtop, Apr 24, 2015.

1. archtop

archtop Member

I'm aware that perhaps a Thorens, or a Rega, or a Technics would be a recommended purchase. But what would be a worthy "under the radar" buy, for an older unit that could be made good with a little love, and not much cash?

2. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

I was in a similar situation. I had convinced myself that I wanted an old Dual, but practicality set in. I ended up with a U-Turn Audio Orbit Plus. The basic model starts at $180, it's built in the US, and comes with a warranty. It's tough to know what you're getting with a vintage table.

3. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

How much is not much cash?

4. 100JH

100JH Member

5. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Whatever you get, spend a bit of cash on it (you can get a really good table for $300-500), put a nice cartridge on it, and use it the rest of your life. It will end up being the centerpiece of every stereo you put together from now on.

Personally I like Regas, they have great tonearms. My lifelong turntable is a VPI MkIII with a Linn Basik arm, it has worked wonderfully and sounded great for over 25 years and I have no desire or seen any need to replace or upgrade it.

6. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

I just picked up an older Thorens TD 165 for $100... Its pretty nice but I spent a lot of time modding and another 300 on a new cart and wire.

Any old mid-fi direct drive (pioneer, sony, tech...) will sound pretty decent with a new cart and will save you some heartache if you don't like to tinker and tweak.

7. rsm

rsm Member

I still have my old Akai linear tracking turntable even though my LPs and 45s are long gone. Still works last time I checked, its been packed away.

Edit: Not mine, but this is the model:

[​IMG]

8. GSHARP

GSHARP Member

Don't obsess over it, just get one that works as it should, put a nice cart on it and play them records!!

I have never stopped listening to vinyls, most of my lps were bought used in various record shops... I'm 45 yrs old and I listen to vinyls more than ever.

Long live vinyl, dude!!!

9. Bill McDowell

Bill McDowell Gold Supporting Member

love my rega rp 1 - my old Denon turntable died after 28 years and replaced it with the rega. Night and day was the difference

10. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I ended up buying a DJ turntable. The Stanton T92. I use the digital output to my home theater, which seems strange I know. You can get them for around $250-$300. It has USB as well. It looks sharp, has pretty high torque and it should be easy to find carts for for some time.

11. stellablue

stellablue Member

Dual 1219 at my house.

12. archtop

archtop Member

Thanks all. So, I'm probably going to need to spend minimum $300 on a turntable whichever route I go. I'm building from scratch here. Is buying a late 70's amp/receiver a good idea? I've spent the evening on eBay looking at old silver Marantz, Yamaha and Pioneer. My dad had a Pioneer tuner with a big weighted tuning knob I used to love the feel of. Don't really need a tuner, though. But I sure like the look of those old things. There is an element of my childhood I'm trying to revive here, I admit. I will need some speakers, though. Don't have room for floor standing speakers. Suggestions welcome.

13. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Archtop, you need to go hang around audiokarma -- great vintage audio forum. You can find some really great gear for very low prices on craigslist, flea markets, etc...

Im using a late 60's Sansui receiver that I picked up for $30 and I love the phono preamp, also has a great retro look and the tuner is very accurate.

14. stellablue

stellablue Member

When I was a kid my dad bought a Pioneer SX-6000. I always loved the blue lights and the big heavy dial. I bought one off Ebay and had it gone over locally. It only has 35 watts per side, but that's plenty for my speakers. There are some vintage models that are more highly regarded than others. Should be some fun research. I am considering a Dynaco ST-70 as an upgrade to my Pioneer.

15. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

You can go used for under $100 and get a nice new cartridge for around $50-70. The sound comes from the cartridge which is the most important part.
    The turntable itself is just a spinning platter and has not much to do with sound so don't go too crazy. Just make sure the arm has weight adjustment and anti-skating.

16. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Remember, it's not just the turntable, but also the arm and cartridge.

I had an old Kenwood KD 600 turntable with a SME III arm and a Shure V15 Type V cartridge. Sold it for about $500, worth way more than that.

17. LPBlue

LPBlue Member

Love those old Kenwoods. I still have the KD500 that I bought new in78...

[​IMG]

The arm is from a KD550 and the cart is an Ortofon X5-MC moving coil.

I also have a Dual CS5000...

[​IMG]

It currently carries an Ortofon OM-30 but I have a few other choices...

[​IMG]

I have been long addicted;)

J.R.

18. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

19. TRTrex

TRTrex Member

Currently using a Pro-Ject Debut III, with their SpeedBox and Tube phone pre-amp.

[​IMG]

My first "real" piece of audio equipment was a Technique's turntable with a Technique's integrated amp -- with wood sides. Loved it.

20. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

I love mine.