I want a vibe pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dbstrat, Oct 10, 2006.

1. dbstrat

dbstrat Member

What are the key vibes to look at?

Deja?
    Megavibe?
    Mojovibe?

Thanks. :AOK

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Heres a short list:

Effectrode - Tube Vibe
    Prescription Electronics Vibe Unit
    Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe
    KR Mega vibe
    Fulltone Deja Vibe (Gold)
    Fulltone Mini-Deja Vibe (white)
    Fulltone Custom Shop Deja Vibe (unpainted-smallest of the bunch)
    Fulltone Deja 2
    Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe
    Sweet Sound Mofaux Vibe
    Lovepedal Magicboy
    Retroman Uber-Vibe
    Sweet Sound Ultra-Vibe
    Black Cat Vibe
    MJM Sixties Vibe
    etc
    etc.....

Then of course, there are tons of phasers that achieve vibe tones..

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

For the sound I love (Hendrix, Trower, SRV, Gilmour) I would say you covered what I think of as the main contenders.

For my purposes I put the Megavibe over the Deja-mini-vibe, but that can change possibly in a different rig. BUT...I have never tried (and since I live in Norway, can't even order) the Megavibe, and if all my stuff got stolen and had to be replaced, the first thing I'd do is buy myself a Megavibe. From clips and reviews it sounds incredible, and seemingly less finicky about where in the chain it has to be.

BUT...I can't figure out why so many people ask "what's the best X pedal" without bothering to mention WHAT SOUND they are looking for, what style they play, etc.

You aren't helping the many knowledgeable folk at TGP to help you!
    Maybe there are less different uses for vibes (anyone in Metal use one ever?) so it is less of a point though...

4. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I love my Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe. Killer price, too :dude

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The Lovepedal Magicboy Vibe is a great pedal. It's small and $150 is an amazing price for something made by Sean.

I have a Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe. It too gets a cool sound.

I depends on what you really want. My cousin has a Sweet Sound UltraVibe, and it is flat incredible. But it's HUGE! I like to give examples of what I'm experinced with. To be honest, for it's a toss up between the Magicboy and Micro.

Good luck on the search.

6. dbstrat

dbstrat Member

Yeah, not a bad point. I guess I'm looking for the Hendrix vibe sound. :AOK

7. dbstrat

dbstrat Member

Thanks for the tips, folks!

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

Yeah, I tend to think this is the way to go, and only about $80-$85 used. Killer bargain, authentic sound.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've had a Rotobive, Captain Coconut 2, Dunlop Uni-Vibe stereo chorus, mini Deja Vibe and Voodoo Labs Micro-vibe.

The two standouts were the CC2 and the Deja. The CC2 was an amazing pedal. Very lush and 3D. You could almost hear mechanical noise from spinning rotors it was so detailed, but the Deja Vibe is the winner to me. I've always been a big Trower fan and the Deja is that sound. Not close, not in the ball park, it is exactly, 100% spot on Bridge of Sighs. I've never heard the Mojo or the MJM Sixties, but I've heard they're good too, but after hearing the Deja, I couldn't imagine anything sounding more authentic. It's the one Trower uses today, and he's pretty much the king of the Univibe sound.

10. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I have this one, and I love it!

[​IMG]

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Then you really ought to check out KR Musical products
    http://www.krmusicalproducts.com/
    website and have a listen to the megavibe.

And I have NO idea why I am helping this guy....I'm miffed he won't bother selling to Norway, and takes a while to even answer inquiries on that point.

The Sweetsound Mojovibe has completely satsified me as far as vibes. I first had the Deja-mini vibe from fulltone, liked it, but it was too thin for how I set it. Later found out the "Vibrato" (as opposed to the chorus setting) setting was fantastic though...for Hendrixy things like "Hey Baby".
    But the Mojo does "Who Knows" and "Machine Gun" and "Bridge of Sighs"...just the right amount of Wump in there. Nice beautiful bass response. And Bob Sweet is a great guy who can answer any questions on it.

I only know of the Megavibe from the clips, and the raves from owners of it.

12. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

My micro-vibe sucks tone...at least I think it does. I want to sell it and get a lovepedal MAgicboy.

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

I had the Lovepedal and thought it was bright and sucked low end. I also had the Mofaux. There was really no good reason to sell that one except that I'm impulsive.

14. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

It's all in the way it sweeps, and the Megavibe has the Hendrix Woodstock sound PERIOD! I have the Megavibe/Microvibe None Led Version/Big Gold Dejavibe on the way to me the second time. And I've owned two different Mojo-Vibes. I've had them all, and my favorite is th MEGAVIBE, because of several reasons..

15. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

I use a Retosonic Chorus, which also has a "vibe" setting. 2 for 1 :)

16. jgyn

jgyn Member

I use a Sweetsound Ultravibe or a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe.

17. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I had a Mojo VIbe and it very accurately reproduced Univibe tones, but it was a lot of $$ for a sound that I used sparingly. I found I can get 90% of the way to "that" tone with my '70's Small Stone - and any decent 4-stage phaser will get you in the neighborhood. If you absolutely have to have the most accurate Univibe tone you can get the Mojo Vibe is a good direction to go in.

The Lovepedal vibe is also very cool (and cheap!) - not really a Univibe clone, more of a Univibe-like tone. I find the Lovepedal generally more useful than I did the Mojo Vibe, but that has a lot to do with the kind of music the bands I gig with play. A bonus to the Lovepedal is the internal trimpot which allows you to change the nature of the effect to taste.

Lots of posts praising the MoFaux Vibe - same price as the Lovepedal. I will have to try that one out sometime soon.

Finally, the Uber Vibe from Retroman looks cool - lots and lots of tweakablilty so I imagine it can do a lot more than just mimic a Univibe.

18. johnnySRZ

johnnySRZ Member

+1 on the Retro Chorus Snowdog. I love the vibe setting on this thing.

19. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

If you DIY i would reccomend john hollis' easy vibe. i just built one and like it alot. Its a 4 stage phaser with LED/LDRs instead of jfets, makes for a great vibe sound and its got a "chorus" switch that gives cool vibrato. i also moded it adding a 4p3t rotary switch to change between three sweep types, and i added a flashing LED that flashes the speed of the LFO and gets brighter or darker when you adjust the inensity- a very cool addition.

20. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I have a Swirly Mojovibe. It's perfect for Bridge of Sighs and Hendrix. I use my Cheap EVH Phase 90 more I think. I like it and it was real cheap. But if you want the Trower hendrix sound the mojo is great!