I want a wah: must be vibey, weird, fat, chubby, sexy, etc

vanguard

I need a wah that really does a syrupy, gooey, sexy thing. I want it to do a cool cocked wah sound with my MKI tone bender. I want it to be a secret bullet to give me unique, nasty fuzz sounds. It should by loud, boosty, unruly, surprising, etc. guts must be sexy, full of silly mojo parts that make me smile. I love vintage-accurate stuff, but am not wedded to it.

I love builders that do funky, handmade stuff like: Jerms, Pigdog, Acid Fuzz, Basic Audio, etc. Who is to wah what those guys above are to fuzz?

Thanks!

utterhack

Jan14_LNU_BlackCatMonaWah_WEB.jpg

black-cat-mon-vintage-pcb.jpg

http://www.blackcatpedals.com/products/black-cat-mona-wah/

Digital Wrath

RMC3 can be a lot of things, just have a little time to dial your sound in. I've basically tinkered with mine twice, the second time I basically just fine-tuned my old setting. Great pedal.

I like my wah sounds not to be too intrusive, aka. it doesn't take total control of your tone and it keeps the trebles sweet and doesn't cut bass too much. Kind of like a great foot-controlled phaser/vibe is what I'm going for :)

tiskit86

Not boutiquey or handmade, but the 535Q has been a great solution for my own varying wah needs. It allows for a wide range of adjustability in all the major parameters: Sweep, Q, and Volume. You can make it do pretty much anything. Super flexible.

JSteed

I don't really need a wah, but I must say that this thread title suddenly made me interested in any replies you may receive. Keep em coming lads!

otherone

There is a Proanalog supaquack wah in emporium at great price. Do some research. This is what you want. I have one. Best wah around

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
Ive never played or heard of these until this thread but they look and sound cool.

FWIW My favorite is the CAE.

if you want an end all be all then either a castledine standard wah or a wah from chase tone. phil sayce and scott henderson swear by them. thats if you like vintage voicing. if you want modern then i cant really help you there. with wah...and any pedal for that matter you need to first decided if you want vintage or modern style. from there it should be easier to help.

DeaconBlues

I've got a Keeley modified Cry Baby "Mello Wah", which is similar to the Blk. Cat Modern Deluxe...or so it would seem. The Keeley uses two inductors which can be used independently, or together, via a three way toggle switch.

I've also had the Keeley Vox version of this same pedal. Both are very nice, versatile wahs. Just different flavors.

The Colorsound/D*A*M/Castledine Wow Fuzz is a pretty cool wah. Great alternative to the Vox and Cry Baby wah's out there as it's based off of the Macari/Colorsound wah. Very funky and it kills with fuzz...well..because it has a fuzz built in. Dave Main at D*A*M built the fuzz circuit and Stu Castledine at Castledine built the Wah circuit.

BluesHarp

I thought the build quality and feel of the wowfuzz treadle/pivot/frame was a little flimsy.. but it was a cool effect though.

if you want an end all be all then either a castledine standard wah or a wah from chase tone. phil sayce and scott henderson swear by them. thats if you like vintage voicing. if you want modern then i cant really help you there. with wah...and any pedal for that matter you need to first decided if you want vintage or modern style. from there it should be easier to help.

This.. LOVE my castledine for vintage quack flavor.

If you need super wacky then a Chicago Iron Parachute Wah is also worth a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxwcoZWvlm0

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
I'd recommend the Vertex NOS Axis Wah. It's beautiful and incredibly vocal / dynamic.

If you need something more intense and less vintage flavored, check out Wilson Effects' Rippah Q Wah.

turtleboy3

Castledine standard wah or chase tone wah if you are willing to pay a higher price
Rmc8 eqwahlyzer or rmc4 if you want a more affordable price but those are vintage sounding wahs.

Top Bottom