I want a Wah, which one???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by straightblues, Jan 13, 2006.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

I am a blues player but I do a little classic rock stuff. I play guitars a wide variaty of guitars (hollow body, simi-hollow, solid body, p90's, humbuckers, strats and teles.) I use a BF Fender Deluxe and a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia amps. I play fairly clean on the verge of breakup.

I want a Wah pedal to experiment with. What Wah do you recommend to this lower gain sort of stuff.

2. erksin

erksin Member

I think you should probably consider how you'll use it - 'wacka wacka' stuff, 'park' it at a certain point, etc. How much sweep do you want? Do you want a gainier wah to add some grit or do you want smoother tones?

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

I would say I want a smoother tone. I don't think I want to add much gain if any. I will be doing both the park it and the wah wah stuff.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Well, I happen to really like the Fulltone Clyde for those reasons - big sweep range for 'parking', and it's a smooth sounding wah IMO. I've had gainier wahs and found them to be unuseable for clean passages, the Clyde fixed that for me...

5. p.snail

p.snail Member

I really like the Budda Wah pedal. I love the tone of the Vox wahs, but I kept breaking the stupid thing.

6. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

Teese real McCoy. Good dude.

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Automagic Silver Machine 2.
    Numerous samples here:
    http://www.godlyke.com/msd/audio.asp

I dig mine a LOT. I liked my RMC2 just fine, but I just happen to dig this one that much more.

-Ben

8. eric-d

eric-d Member

Budda, if want to pay more, get a Fulltone Clyde or Teese Picture...

9. omensixaxe

omensixaxe Member

+1. Clyde deluxe, maybe? if you're into tweaking.

10. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I've had a Teese Picture Wah, RMC3, RMC3LE and a Supa Quack from Pro Analog. I recently got a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe and it's the best features of all those wahs rolled into one.

11. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

That reissue VOX Clyde McCoy is hard to beat.

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

My vote goes to the Vox Clyde reissue, it has true bypass, and has the best tone that I've heard in a while..

13. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

If you like tweeking, get the rmc3, very versatile. The fulltone clyde ain't bad either, but I always lean to the rmc for gigging.

14. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

I think you'd be happiest with either the Teese Picture Wah of the Fulltone Clyde.

Personally, I prefer the teese in front of a slightly broken up low gain amp. It doesn't overdrive or distort... just really smooth. It will not sound as good if you've got a buffered pedal in your chain.. but as long as everything is true bypass in your signal chain the picture wah will stay clean and not distort.

The Teese sounds incredible with strats and single coils... I absolutely love it with my Guild semi-hollow and p90s

The CLyde is a damn nice pedal too.. It's definately a contender... The fulltone housing is very comfortable to step on and the sweep is beautiful.

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have a Picture wah on the way !!

Just htought I'd mention, on their site they specifically say something about if you have both single and humbuckers, they recommend the "Whiz" or whatver it was.

Personally, I play both types of pickup, but because of the sound of the clips...I just HAD to have the picture. If it only sounds like that with my strat and tele...okay, I'll live with it, if it sounds even just decent with my ES-335 then I'll be in heaven. If it sounds downright BAD with my ES-335, I'll still be a happy camper if it sounds like I think it will wih the strat.

Other than that, I have the Weeping Demon WD-7 which is really interesting in that it has tons of features (it's a real high-tech wah) and lots of parameter adjustments, but not true bypass...and I still can't seem to dial in what I want, which is like the clips on the Teese RMC site.

That said, also have the Dunlop GCB-95 and it is okay, but not TB, has some rocky points on the pedal travel-pot. Can get some okay sounds, but it doesn't inspire me.

Actually others have complained about it, but one of the best so far was on a ME pedal, the Digitech RP-7 which also allowed some tweaking and I lucked into a good one.

16. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

After testing the Crybaby, Vox Clude McCoy, Budda Wah and Teese Picture Wah, I ended up with the Vox. Definately the squelchiest and classic sounding of the bunch. A really nicely designed wah.

17. Tone

Tone Member

When I was choosing a new wah I emailed Mr. Teese and he replied that the Picture Wah plays equally nice with both single coils and humbuckers.:D:JAM