I want an all tube combo under $800. Which is best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ChauncyPepper, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ChauncyPepper

ChauncyPepper Member

Ok guys. I'm looking to purchase my first all tube combo. I've been researching for awhile and really haven't settled on anything yet. I'm looking for something powerful enough to gig out with a full band. I'm going with a combo due to portability vs getting a half stack.

If you are familiar with Clutch, Black Label Society, and Sabbath, you'll know what I'm looking for tone wise.

I want something that I can invest in, use it a couple years, and it still hold it's value.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks guys!

2. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Need more details about band and venues you'll be playing.

3. art_z

art_z Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure how your are going to get closed back 4x12 metal sounds out of an open backed 1 or 2 speaker combo. Lord knows I've tried, and I dig alot of those bands as well, so i'd recommend at least a sealed 2x12 and a head. surely not as a portable, but will get you to those tones more accurately.

4. ChauncyPepper

ChauncyPepper Member

My ideal choice would be a Mesa Triple Rectifier but that's a bit out of my price range. So let me ask what reccommendations for an all tube head less than $1000 with plenty of volumn and tone?

5. ChauncyPepper

ChauncyPepper Member

Loud, distorted, and funky. Stoner groove rock! Venues that will be played are small bars to small clubs. I have a feeling that I'd be better off getting a head/cab.

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

under a grand the best tones will come from single channel amp IMO. the tones you mentioned are very thick & meaty vintage gain tones. assuming you don't really need cleans, i'd think you want a lower wattage single channel amp that you can crank to get up to those gain levels.

the first thing that came to my mind was the Orange Tiny Terror. it's simple and mean. i think they just came out with a combo version, but you might find that the head with a good 1x12 cab is even better. or 2x12 or 4x12 ;). lots of clips around to check out too.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Traynor YCS-50 is my favorite combo at any price. Just so happens it's less than $800.

8. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

Why not try a Peavey Windsor head and 4-12 cab....It's like a JCM 800 but on the cheap......I think you can get both for under 800.00

9. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

I'd look for a Traynor YBA-1 head, from the 70's (45W, approx. $450 used). An Avatar 2x12" special cab (approx. $300), they come loaded with Celestions, a V30 & G12H-30. The Celestions and Traynor amp which uses 2x EL34 power tubes will get you in the Marshall Zone. This is a point to point amp that is built like a tank. It is easily repairable and you'll get your money back if you want to sell it.

Then get yourself a good pedal and you will have a LOUD rig that can go from Blues to Rock and w/ the pedal .. to where you want it. It will last forever and work when you plug it in.

With an $800 budget, forget Boutique and forget anything NEW in a production amp as they will mostly be crap and will not last. I'm playing over 30 years and own a lot of equipment and I kept one YBA-1 as part of the dozen different amps I currently have.

Any way, that's my opinion, good luck !!

10. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

+1. The tiny terror was the first thing that came to mind for me, too! They have a new combo... checkout youtube for some videos from winter NAMM.
    Orange will also retain its value well.

11. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

used alessandro working dog CAN be found in that price range. probably my pick for ALL amps under twice that. . .

12. ChauncyPepper

ChauncyPepper Member

The Tiny Terror Head/cab would be something I'm interested in. I watched a few youtube videos and it sounds great! I've always loved the tone of Orange but thought I'd never be able to afford it. The Tiny Terror and 112 cab would put me a little over budget but hey, it's an Orange! And if for some reason I need more volumn, I'll mic it. I definately think I'll go with that. My only concern is the low wattage.

13. freaksho

freaksho Member

are you sure about that?

Tiny Terror: $550 (new)
    Avatar Vintage 1x12: $244 (new, shipped)

and if you went used you'd do even better.

low wattage will only be an issue if you want very loud perfect cleans. do you?

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 On that note you can pick up a V32 head and closed back 2x12 cabcab for around 500-600$ ! Need a bit of a boost to get there but a great sounding amp for very little. Bob

http://www.music123.com/Palomino-V212-Speaker-Cabinet-480990-i1172966.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Palomino-V32H-30W-Amp-Head-480988-i1172964.Music123

15. ChauncyPepper

ChauncyPepper Member

Well I looked at a brand new Tiny Terror and they were listed at $549 ($519 with free shipping was the lowest I found) and I was also looking at an Orange 112 cab at $349.

Do you have a link to an Avatar Vintage 1x12?

EDIT:.. If I can save some money in the amp department, I'll have more left over for a new axe :)

16. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'd look at a used Alessandro Working Dog, and maybe grab a pedal if you need "more" distortion.

GREAT value in a great-sounding, versatile, hand-built all tube amp that ISN'T a clone of someone else's design. ;)

18. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

19. 5E3

5E3 Member

Lots of good suggestions here. The OP mentions wanting good resale a couple of years later, so I would definitely buy used. Someone else will have already taken the hit on the instant depreciation from buying new.

:RoCkIn

20. Crikey

Crikey Member

There are a couple of combos that might work. I saw a MESA Stiletto combo with a closed-back cab that would probably give you the thump you'll want for stoner rock. The Peavey 5150 combo has 2x12 in a closed back cabinet, and I know that would do the job for you. I'm sure I've seen one for sale under $800 used, too. The 5150 combo is pretty heavy, though, and you might find a separate head and cab more portable.

A good compact closed-back 2x12 speaker cabinet rated for 150W handling with solid thump and not too bright is the Zinky 2x12. Those can be found for reasonable costs used and aren't too spendy new.

Good luck!

Crikey