1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I want an American Deluxe Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AbstractLunatic, Aug 22, 2005.

1. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Does anyone have a good reason NOT to get one?

I've never really played a Strat much until a few weeks ago when I grabbed a cheap copy. Well... after some hours and serious experimenting with the new guitar, I like it! I want something better than a $200 copy immediately. So... the American Deluxe Strat. I'm really liking them and think if you folks haven't found any glaring issue, that would be great.

2. dan-o-guitar

dan-o-guitar Member

I've been through three different types of Strats over the years, and ended up selling each of them over time. Each of the them was a great guitar, but not what I was looking for. Last week I ordered the American Deluxe Ash strat. I've been playing it for a few days now, and WOW.

I think I've found the Strat that is ideal for me. I love the one-piece Solid Ash body, and and the S1 switching is fun to play with--turned off you have the classic Stratocaster switchgear. Engaged, you have lots of hotter new combinations.

The fit and finish is really good and the locking tuners are a delight. Finally, the upgraded tremolo is the first Strat trem I've ever actually considered to be usable.

In my humble opinion, you just cannot go wrong with the Deluxe Strat. If you get a chance, try the Ash Deluxe--it plays so nicely.

3. corgiears

corgiears Member

I'm kind of a Strat freak... and I really like the American Deluxe Series. I share the concern about the long term durability of the S-1 system, but overall the feel of the Am Dlx guitars is really nice. The SCN pickups aren't for everyone, but if you are not a die hard vintage single coil sound freak, they are really quite good. The American Series is also very nice and more traditional, but it's hard to beat the Deluxe.

4. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I have played wonderful Fender Strats - but have never really bonded with one. I tried to love Fender guitars, I really did, but I ended up gravitating to Jacksons. Then again, I never played a style of music where only a Strat (3 SCs) would do. IMO, you need to try before you buy, and make sure the axe speaks to you.

Good Luck! ;)

5. MattB

MattB Member

I have an 05' American Deluxe and it sounds fantastic. I am not really a SC guy but I picked one up to have a SC guitar. I use it from some tunes that we play and recording. I also agree about the S-1 switching. I never use it really so mine probably wont have a problem but I think it would have been better if they had used a push/pull pot.

Great guitar all around and you can pick one up used for $800.00 easy.

-MattB

6. SLG

SLG Member

The MIA Deluxe Strats are great instruments. There are several variations of the Deluxe Strats depending upon the year of manufacture. The latest models have both alder and ash bodies available. The Deluxe Strats come with either SSS or HSS pickup configurations. A soft V-shaped neck is also available.

It's a toss up between the new samarian-cobalt pickups with the S1 swtiching and the Vintage Noiseless pickups used in the older Deluxe Strats. It's really a question of personal preference. The only way to know which is the right set is to try them for yourself.

IMO the best used buys are for the ash-bodied Deluxe Strats with the transparent finishes from 2000-2003. These guitars have the nice, comfortable neck with the rounded edges and vintage noiseless pickups. They show up on EBay for around $600~$700. That's less than the street price for a new MIA Standard Strat. A new Deluxe Strat is $1000+. Fender now charges an extra $100 for the ash body upgrade so $600~$700 is a good value for a used Deluxe Strat.

The only reason not to buy a NEW Deluxe Strat is the
    deppreciation should you decide to sell it. The used Deluxe Strats are an excellent value. A good used instrument will hold its value particularly as prices increase for new Strats.

7. Doug

Doug Member

Regarding depreciation, that really depends on what kind of deal you get on a new one. I was checking one out at GC, and they had it for around $1100. I called a local shop that I know to have a great reputation and unbeatable prices, and they were selling the same guitar for $899. This is the alder body, RW fretboard American Deluxe. If these are really going for $800 on ebay (I haven't checked), then I'd say they hold their value very well.

Now on to more important things, the guitar itself. I was comparing one to a new Eric Johnson strat at GC, and I actually preferred the Deluxe. I wish fender offered more neck options, though. The EJ has a nice big & comfortable neck that starts as a soft V and tapers to a big C. The standard C on the production models are a little too small for my tastes. The soft V on the Deluxes are a little more comfortable, but still not what I would choose. I liked the SCN pickups. They didn't seem to lose much luster compared to the EJ pickups. The vintage noisless, on the other hand, just don't have any of the sparkle that makes a strat sound like a strat, IMO. I probably would have bought a Deluxe if I only hadn't played the Suhr that the second shop had hanging on the wall. I thought, what the heck, I've never played one before. Let's see what the fuss is all about. I originally only played it for sh!ts and giggles, but it grabbed my by the throat and said "BUY ME"! :D Needless to say, I'm now the proud owner of a Suhr Classic.

Doug

8. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've owned a whole bunch of Strats. My favorite by far is a G&L legacy special. I had a 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Fender, and while it was no doubt an excellent Strat, the G&L is another notch or two better, both in sound and playability.

9. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Great! Thanks for the feedback.

10. Rama

Rama Member

One Caveat ...

The string spacing on American Standard and Deluxes is narrower than a traditional strat...I like it wider. Actually, my Custom Shop Player Strat uses the 2 point trem with vintage saddles giving a stable trem with the wide spacing...

All this is not an issue with most folks....just thought if you really dug the copy it might be partly because of the wider spacing it probably has.

11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Member

I picked up a used '98 MIA Deluxe Strat for a price I couldn't refuse. An overall outstanding guitar with a beautiful finish, top notch build quality, great sound and a dreamy neck. Custom shop quality at production pricing, IMO.