• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I want an SG but . . .

Sparky6string

There are two real designs for the SG- the early design has the neck sticking out further and therefore has more neck-dive in my experience. Gibson redesigned the guitar setting the neck a little deeper into the body. This type gives me very little trouble, especially with a leather strap with suede on the inside. Plus I have to say I like my SGs a little heavy so that they feel like my other guitars and that can help also, but heavy for an SG is still pretty light. Mine is a 2005 Ebony and it's fricken awesome with no real neck-dive. That decade made some great SGs and they aren't so pricey so check them out when you can.

eldorado2001

Playing a show constantly fighting neck dive...
Constantly fighting neck dive? Really? SGs are featherweight guitars.

SGs and neck dive seems like an exaggerated problem to me...I always keep my hand on the neck of the guitar when standing up or playing live anyway...
+1
I also have both hands on the guitar while I'm playing. I don't let the neck of any guitar swing about freely.

I don't get all the neck-dive trauma. I own 3 SGs, 2 of them are more neck-heavy. So what?
I don't notice neck weight once I'm playing.

joesatch

i have a love hate relationship with the SG. I think it's just designed wrong the strap button placement it should have been on the horn to alleviate any neck dive

I used to have an Epiphone SG which had horrible neck dive....I now play a Gibson, and it's absolutely perfectly balanced. Maybe it's an Epi vs Gibbo thing? Or maybe just luck of the draw?

Wolfe2973

Silver Supporting Member
2019 SG Jr original series.

Unless you’re waving your hands around I don’t see how they can “dive”. Also, a wide strap will keep it put.
Gotta disagree here on the Jr. I own a 2019. Fantastic instrument, build and tone wise. Without a leather strap it dives like Greg Louganis. The body is so light on the juniors, I find they all dive to some extent. With my leather strap, she's locked in though.
I have a 2004 Special Faded (my favorite guitar I've ever owned) and it doesn't dive. I also found the 2019 Standards don't dive. For all SG's I've played though, I need a strap that grips a little because even if they don't dive right away, once you start moving and rocking, the weight balance is so delicate that they will dive at some point.

ferrinbonn

Try the lightest one you can find. Even if it neck dives, you should be strong enough for it not to matter if the guitar is light enough.

Or, buy the absolute heaviest SG you can find and add a Bigsby on.
LOL, wut??? I really don't think OP's issue is that he needs to strength train to be able to support the neck.

GibSG

Gibson SG + stock light weight tuners (Gibson Deluxe or KLUSON Deluxe), or KLUSON Revolution tuners = NO neck dive.

My 2015 Gibson SG with KLUSON Revolution tuners, perfect SG, very well balanced.
I removed the Gibson GForce, too heavy for a Gibson SG.

SG Standard TBK 218.jpg

Epiphone G400 = neck dive for sure.

Last edited:
Constantly fighting neck dive? Really? SGs are featherweight guitars.

+1
I also have both hands on the guitar while I'm playing. I don't let the neck of any guitar swing about freely.

I don't get all the neck-dive trauma. I own 3 SGs, 2 of them are more neck-heavy. So what?
I don't notice neck weight once I'm playing.
That’s just you Kemo Sabe, the universe is a much more diverse place than you seem to realize.

You rock on with your bad self, but there are lots of us that don’t like neck dive. I hate it actually.

What’s next, are you going to try to “prove to me” that I should like the taste of boiled broccoli too ? <wink>

meterman

I had a similar problem with a Yamaha SGB500 and got rid of it, wish I hadn't b/c it was a cool guitar. This might be weird but what about just adding a bit of weight on the butt end somehow, maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 pound lead weight sewn into the bottom of the strap? I'll bet that would fix it. They're light enough to begin with that it wouldn't be too noticeable. Or get a strap with a grippy surface on the underside that won't slide as much.

OP - 3 words for you:

Broad. Suede. Strap

/thread
Buy a suede strap and wear the suede surface on the inside. That’s what I did with my SG. The strap sticks to your cloth and the guitar sits firm. It’s a comfortable solution that works without spending money on some silly solutions and tools.

I've got one of those wide leather suede levis strap on my SG 70s tribute. Works really well.
Super comfy strap, and solved the slight neck dive I had.

One word of warning.
Once one has tried one of those super comfy leather strap, it's a bit of a slippery slope.... I have pretty much bought one for each of my guitars now....

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
. . . I absolutely cannot tolerate neck dive.

I have an Epi SG G-400 with Gibson pickups that sounds pretty darn awesome. It's like either the worlds fattest telecaster or the most shimmery LP. It just screams rock and solos sound super punchy. I love the tone and the neck feel. The controls are perfect and the guitar plays like butter.

The problem is that I can't stand up when I play it due to neck dive. I've tried the "rough wide leather strap" solution and it just pulls my shirt around as the neck heads to the floor. I moved the strap button and that helped a little but the neck still heads down like a hooker during fleet week. I even melted a bunch of lead to put in the back of the control cavity to try to balance it out - this worked somewhat but it took quite a bit of weight to get it better. So much that the guitar was a pain to hold. Sigh . . . back to square one.

So I generally play this one sitting down. My playing style just doesn't get along with neck heavy guitars.

I want a real SG that I can play standing up. No one in Richmond really has racks of SGs around to try out to find ones that don't neck dive so I'll need to order online (ugh). I've heard that SGs tend to be neck diving beasts in general - in fact I've heard that the SG Modern is neck heavy on pretty much every single instance. I'm not sure if this is true though . . .

Can the collective mind here recommend SG models that most likely *don't* neck dive? Are there certain models or weight ranges that tend to avoid this issue? What is your experience with SGs?

They don't even need to be official SGs - copies and clones (legal ones!) are fine as well.

I know that I could just keep sending back guitars until I got the right one but that's a long and painful experience that I'd rather avoid if I could . . .
You have to just try actual examples with your preferred strap length and playing posture. I have four SG's, and the most prone to diving is the old style Jr, with a stop tailpiece and a single P-90. It's got less hardware on the body, and the body on those is thinner than most SG's. For me, neck dive isn't a problem on those guitars--they will tend to dive if I take both hands off the guitar, but...I don't do that when I'm playing. Also, slinging the guitar low and using a nylon strap will make the problem worse. If that's how you roll, best avoid the SG model.

RonKing34

I owned three SGs at one point, sold two and kept my favourite; a 2013 SGJ.

Neck dive doesn’t really bother me, but I don’t even remember any of my SGs having those issues, even the SGJ I kept with the fat 50’s maple neck doesn’t dive with a nylon strap.

I’m curious, where does your right arm rest when you play your guitar? On all three of my guitars, my arm was always firmly planted on the upper bout of the instrument, and that pretty much eliminates neck dive anyway. If your arm kind of “levitates” above the guitar, I could see there being potential for diving.

mac jones

I have about 10 SGs. The one with the worst neck dive is one I just bought for travel, an Epiphone SG Special VE. The body is so light it's all neck. The guitar weighs 5.5 lbs. It has a mahogany neck, and it seems like basswood or similar for the body, which is not going to be balanced (guessing about the body).

With SGs it's important (for me) to get very light tuners (with plastic buttons) if there's an issue. I generally use Sperzel Sound Lok. (5 oz a set). Regular Sperzels are like around 7.2 oz. You can get lighter, but it's risky, and tuners like those Gotoh stealth, get mixed reviews, and they are very expensive besides. Hipshot Classic are 6 oz, btw. But most of my Gibsons don't have problems with balance, and I just swap out the buttons for plastic. It's supprising how heavy those metal buttons are, and plastic button replacements are somewhat standard and cheap

So the point is, the heavier the body, it may be more balanced, but that's not a sure thing at all.

And yes, the wide suede strap will definitely fix neck dive. But as the poster said, they can dig into your shirt, and it's somewhat uncomfortable (for some people) in general, so I try other things as well. Maybe just a wide strap is the best solution

Last edited:

GTStandard

if you really want an sg, youd get one and not have one tiny issue hold you back. You dont really want an SG. YOU CANT HANDLE AN SG (apparently)

ive owned an sg for 15+ and never once experienced or gave a second thought to "neck dive." Its not that serious and before a few weeks ago, I didnt know it existed (for some people)

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
It seems like if you are willing to put new holes in your guitar that repositioning the strap buttons could solve your problem, especially since you like your current guitar and if you are planning on it to be a player and not a collector's item. It would decrease the resale value to put in new holes for repositioned strap buttons but if that is not an issue seems like the most likely fix for you. Repositioning both of them will probably get you there. In fact after reading this thread I am wanting to try some strap button repositioning on my guitar just to try out different balance.

Trending Topics