• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

I want EVH to...

Gibson Dog

Silver Supporting Member
...be a man, lose the ego and go out and do one final farewell tour with only the lineup that gave you four #1 albums in a row.
Agree with you 100% but it's never going to happen. They were planning a tour last year with M Anthony & Roth with Eddies kid opening, they didn't even get through 2 rehearsals. It's a huge if but if they ever do anything again it's going to be with Roth & the kid. Sadly there are a lot of people that would pay for that junk. Those guys hate each other & obviously Roth was never a great singer but he serviced the music, he can't sing at all now it's embarrassing & they know it. Also his kid has been working on this "amazing, mind blowing album" for almost 5 years now.

Eddies going to die angry, bitter & without much of a legacy most kids have no idea who he is & what he is/was. When Zeppelin played the 02 show they said they wanted people generations later to understand why they were what they were & why they are revered & why they are considered the greatest by millions - me included. Eddie doesn't care he'd rather be angry.

Jollyb

Silver Supporting Member
Eddie.....WTF is Mitch Malloy!!!!?

Everytime I look up VH on YouTube this guy comes up....but I never heard of him anywhere.

Gas Hed

I loved his amber MM Into a Peavy yrs. Went from spray paint to drop dead Gorgeous and Van Hager stuff is Phat. Dont get me wrong VH 1 is sick........I just like the thicker tones.
I hear ya on the amber MM...I found GAS because of that guitar. But...F.U.C.K. was recorded with a SLO. Crazy - right?

I Am Misery

... most kids have no idea who he is & what he is/was.
he was the guitar player in Van Halen, what else do they need to know? should they even "need to"? EVH/VH weren't exactly a high point in music history, not in the "life changing experience" sort of way. they don't have enough substance to be one of those bands/artists that people should "know". they're no Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, or Pink Floyd. hell, they're not even on the same level as Cobain/Nirvana. what are they missing out on?

VH has always been one of the biggest names in the business, and still get plenty of airplay. EVH is not some "hidden gem" that nobody is aware of. nobody needed Hendrix to be alive to know who/what he was.

When Zeppelin played the 02 show they said they wanted people generations later to understand why they were what they were & why they are revered & why they are considered the greatest by millions - me included. Eddie doesn't care he'd rather be angry.
they hadn't done much of anything for 30+ years by that point, and it's not like they even needed to play that show to prove any of that.

this isn't the case with EVH/VH. he's been doing stuff here and there all along, nobody really cares either way. what's he going to do now that's going to change the way anyone thinks about him or Van Halen? what could he ever have done beyond what he already has? he'll always be "the guitar player in Van Halen". same with Jimmy Page. one could point to Carlos Santana as one of those players who was back in the spotlight years later with an album of guest collaborators, but i'd guess most people look at that point in his career as some sort of novelty. if somebody wants/needs to "know" Santana they're better off just watching his Woodstock performance than seeing him live these days.

"kids today" had a chance to see VH touring/recording in just the past few years. i don't think it helped his "legacy". it's over, not even Michael Anthony can save them at this point.

you guys are all picturing the early 80s version of EVH, the same as you're picturing the early version of Valerie Bertinelli. this same twisted thinking is a big issue with Misfits/Samhain/Danzig fans, but even they know better than to ask him for the phone number of that chick that was in the 'Mother' video. :D if i wanted someone to know who Glenn Danzig "is/was", i sure wouldn't suggest that they look to anything from the past 25 years or so.

Guitarfool

Supporting Member
he was the guitar player in Van Halen, what else do they need to know? should they even "need to"? EVH/VH weren't exactly a high point in music history, not in the "life changing experience" sort of way. they don't have enough substance to be one of those bands/artists that people should "know". they're no Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, or Pink Floyd. hell, they're not even on the same level as Cobain/Nirvana. what are they missing out on?

VH has always been one of the biggest names in the business, and still get plenty of airplay. EVH is not some "hidden gem" that nobody is aware of. nobody needed Hendrix to be alive to know who/what he was.

they hadn't done much of anything for 30+ years by that point, and it's not like they even needed to play that show. this isn't the case with EVH/VH. he's been doing stuff here and there all along, nobody really cares either way. what's he going to do now that's going to change the way anyone thinks about him or Van Halen? what could he ever have done beyond what he already has? he'll always be "the guitar player in Van Halen". same with Jimmy Page. one could point to Carlos Santana as one of those players who was back in the spotlight years later with an album of guest collaborators, but i'd guess most people look at that point in his career as some sort of novelty. if some one wants/needs to "know" Santana they're better off just watching his Woodstock performance than seeing him live these days.

"kids today" had a chance to see VH touring/recording in just the past few years. i don't think it helped his "legacy". it's over, not even Michael Anthony can save them at this point.

you guys are all picturing the early 80s version of EVH, the same as you're picturing the early version of Valerie Bertinelli. this same twisted thinking is a big issue with Misfits/Samhain/Danzig fans, but even they know better than to ask him for the phone number of that chick that was in the 'Mother' video. :D if i wanted someone to know who Glenn Danzig "is/was", i sure wouldn't suggest that they look to anything from the past 25 years or so.

You are glossing over the fact of what Eddie did for guitar

When people talk about listening to Eruption for the 1st time, they GLOWINGLY talk about it and i have heard some say it was life changing and they HAD to learn that and pickup the guitar, Ed actually helped inspire MANY kids and others to pickup the guitar.

That 1st album was a little before my time but i hear nothing but story after story about how that guitar and sound made people scratch their heads and countless others learn to play that way, and thus the 1980s and the guitar playing took a big notch upwards

Besides being a good player (and there are many others who are great players no doubt about it) but he had this ability to do something others didnt do as well....................... That was also writing a good catchy song in the context of his playing and innovative style, many other great players lack the ability to do this!!

:dude