I want EVH to...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gas Hed, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Simply an inaccurate statement.

donnievaz, D4V3?, speakerdad and 5 others like this.
  2. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

as should anyone else that's thinking about this realistically. besides EVH himself, "kids today" have so many other great examples of guitar players to look to for inspiration. they don't "need" to hear 'Eruption' to be inspired, and they're probably better off. looks like most of the guys who were inspired to play guitar by hearing 'Eruption' have been listening to the same bands every day for the past 30+ years. the few who "survived" it probably aren't the ones hoping EVH will come out with some new album/tour to amaze the world again.

Dr Bonkers likes this.
  3. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

Your so missing point, its MORE than eruption and YESSS there are many other great players (no doubt about it), However how any of THOSE players your thinking of would mention Eddie as a inspiration or even influence?? How many?? ............ Just like Elvis helped influence kids, then came Chuck Berry, then came Jimi, then came Clapton and Page and Ricthie Blackmore, etc, etc they all helped build and add to the foundation of guitar, Eddie Van Halen did the same thing

I cant help that you dont see that, sorry

4. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i'd agree with that. i do see what you're saying. i'm sure many of the bands that i love wouldn't have existed if not for the influence of EVH/VH, either directly or indirectly.

don't have time now, but will try to explain it more later.

5. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

One trick pony. A very good trick. But it don't work in the long run. Seems like his vitality and brilliance was a brief flare. Super influential but a blink in real time.

I Am Misery likes this.
  6. sah5150

sah5150 Gold Supporting Member

Geez dude, I'm sorry! I didn't realize you were in love with her...

Ferchrissakes, it was just a joke... lighten up...

Oh yeah, and you actually can get old without getting fat... in fact, I highly recommend it...

Steve

I Am Misery likes this.
  7. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

He’ll always be “The Man”.
    He never needs to play another note.

8. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

...stop emailing my wife

BlueRiff likes this.
  9. Horizontalmode

Horizontalmode Member

Give all M&M’s it’s fair share

Coach T. and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. Horizontalmode

Horizontalmode Member

Start a band with Pat Smear

donnievaz, Dr Bonkers and BlueRiff like this.
  11. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Yep, just a few years after Marcia Brady was. :)

Kuron likes this.
  12. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

Nope, love his EVH gear & the way it sounds.

Kuron likes this.
  13. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Hey man I'm way too tired to respond to all of this. Van Halen changed music & changed the way an instrument is played & they were a monster powerhouse of a band! No certainly not on the Zeppelin, Beatles, Queen etc level but they changed music. I would argue that Nirvana/Cobain didn't do as much as people think , to me they did nothing. The bands that are associated with them Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Foo Fighters are all just Rock n' Roll bands that wore flannel shirts & tuned down for a few years. Pearl Jam & the Foo's are the historical bands in that group.

I'm not talking about early 80's VH they were great until 1995 they hated each other but they crushed it on the Balance tour. It could be our age, where we're from (I'm 3rd generation Los Angeles) or this is just my opinion & I could be dead wrong.

That was Zeppelin's whole point 'we don't need to do this but there are generations of people that only heard the records & we wanted to show why we were what we were. We wanted to stand up & be counted' those are Page's exact words. Did they need to do that NO they didn't but they wanted to bring closure to everything on a positive note. If I was Eddie I would have enough pride to want to do the same thing & the only way to do that now is with Michael & Sammy = I won't say never but it's 99.9% not happening. Eddie is more than just the guitar player in VH & Page is WAY more than just the guitar player in Zeppelin. What page did for songwriting, production, tone & playing IMO he's the greatest there's ever been & to me that will never change.

I'm going to see the Circle next week so I'll hear some live VH & Zep tunes as close as close to the real thing as we're going to get.

14. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Yeah man Eat em' & Smile was a great record I'm not a big Roth guy I'm a huge Sammy guy before-during & after VH but I think I saw 3 or 4 of the shows on that tour. That album & tour is what made me have some respect for Roth those are the best songs Vai has ever come close to writing & it was obviously Dave so I can respect that. I agree he was fine up until that point but way downhill since & like I said they were embarrassed after the last show at the Hollywood Bowl.

They hated each other & mostly weren't talking but Balance is a great record! I saw 4 shows on that tour & they were on fire! Quick story - Alice in Chains opened one show at the fairgrounds in OC & Staley just stood at the mic & mumbled a little. It was sad to see but they came & took him off the stage. Sammy came out & said they would go on asap & make sure everyone gets their moneys worth. They played over 3 hours, I've seen VH probably 50 times & that show will always stand out they were a Rock n' Roll machine that night & on that whole tour but unfortunately that was the end.

strike3 and Kuron like this.
  15. Jollyb

Jollyb Silver Supporting Member

I didnt know that. I thought he was Marshall all the way through the 80s and then Peavy until he eventually created his signature

I actually preferred the Peavys over the current Fender signatures BTW......I think Ted Nugent still uses them also.

16. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I saw them in 1981 (summer between grade 8 and 9) during the Fair Warning tour and perhaps their peak in my opinion. The live show had amazing playing. The long solo section of the show saw Eddie running from one side of the stage to the other a number of times while doing some crazy inventive stuff. A strobe light was flashing during this part so you could never really see how he was playing some of it. I found their albums afterward started sounding commercial and Eddie was more subdued. I hated Jump. I lost interest to some degree after that. Nobody has released a full video concert from that tour. I do know some songs were shot on film but I dont know if they did the whole show. I know Eddie had to get hand surgery at one point due to damage from playing. Is he able to still play like that? Some of the solo stuff he did at that show is not on record (probably bootlegs but I dont know how much was improvised) His sound got very different too. Having been exposed to this short period of their catalog, I didn't hate the band later or anything I just slowly lost interest. So I didn't even get to 84.

strike3 likes this.
  17. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

accept my gratitude.

strike3 likes this.
  18. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

Really? How so?

19. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

... release new music that is less heavy than their last album.

20. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i'm sure that was awesome, i'd actually like to see that myself. i do like Van Halen quite a bit, for what they are.

i'd certainly agree with that... but i don't really think that anyone needs to hear anything else from him ever again. i don't think we're missing out on anything.

you've obviously never listened to Nirvana. they don't really have much in common with any of those other bands at all. i'd definitely say they're a band that someone "needs to hear" on a different level than Van Halen. even Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice In Chains for that matter. these bands make you think, make you feel. i'd put Van Halen in with something like Madonna (who i really appreciate quite a bit). they're a pop band, that's about it.

i was born in '76, but i caught the tail end of the DLR era and was "there" for the Hagar stuff (which i actually enjoy, for what it is). i understand what they are/were.

now that's something i wasn't expecting to hear. i would like to see them do that, it's obviously never going to work with DLR.

what Jimmy Page did with Led Zeppelin (as well as his earlier studio work) is something that i appreciate and love more and more every day, but he's done nothing worthwhile since then. The Firm? nope, sorry. we don't need a new Jimmy Page album, or a Led Zeppelin "reunion". EVH isn't going to save rock n' roll.

like i said, the days are long gone since 'Eruption' was the most exciting thing going on with guitar playing. kids today don't need to listen to the music of Van Halen if they want to hear some "impressive" guitar. these days their own 'Eruption' can come in any flavor they choose, they don't need to be stuck listening to hair metal for the rest of their lives waiting for the next EVH to come along.