I want EVH to...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gas Hed, Apr 12, 2019.

1. wetordry

wetordry Member

Put a lid on that vh band and go do another group with some other players.
    Join someone else's thing....whatever.

He's s huge draw, but wears the albatross.
    But...its his choice.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  2. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i was thinking of adding "(at least not usually in a good way)" after that. like with KISS.

for myself, i'd say that hearing the Misfits/Samhain/Danzig was a "life changing experience", but i've seen the bad that can come from it. they opened me up to so much other music (early rock n' roll, Motown, punk rock, all that old stuff) and showed me that "pop" lyrics could be literary genius. for what they were doing, there was no equal. i don't think i've met any other Misfits fans who had the same "reaction". i see a lot of people stuck listening to some really bad music. cheap imitation "horror rock" bands (or even the "new" Misfits), looking to get their fix from that. buying every latest Danzig album or excited about the recent reunion, and not realizing/caring that the magic is just gone. there is no going back.

EVH has this same "stunting" effect on people.

3. atemporal

atemporal Member

...get a haircut and a proper job.

4. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Eddie was a offstage guest at the Black Sabbath the End tour. He seems to still get along with Tony Iommi but I doubt they see each other often. Plus Eddie may be thankful that Black Sabbath chose them to open for them which would have been their first big stadium tour. Eddie just doesn't seem to get along with people close to him that aren't direct family.

In terms of playing style, it almost seems like he left his heavy guitar dominant style that he had up until Fair Warning and slowly let it become less intense and to me it seemed like they were trying to get a more pop type sound - even adding keyboards. I was trying to play the cool riff to Mean Street a few days ago going from memory as I haven't heard the song in years. It's not really hard but I like how it can be powerful and heavy it is. I got most of it but I would need to hear it again to see if I was playing it right.

5. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

When they reunited with Dave, I didn't go because I thought seeing them would damage the memory of the fair Warning tour I saw. They could never do that kind of performance again. All the clips I seen were subdued in playing and no crazy energy like that early tour.

6. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

right on. i try to avoid a wake (even for my closest relatives) if at all possible, i'd rather not have the memory of them propped up in some casket.

7. sws1

sws1 Member

...buy the Harmony Central backup tapes, and then restore/re-open that monstrous 'teeth' thread. (I'm laughing just thinking about it.)

8. 59Vampire

59Vampire Member

.::contact the mods and lock down this thread!

9. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I definitely don't agree with this. If you think of the real cream of the crop of music and how they changed history: culturally and musically, the real innovators, trendsetters, cultural explosion type bands, Nirvana's peers are Elvis, Michael Jackson, the Beatles, and Madonna type artists. Nirvana killed an entire genre that came before it and started a new one after.

Van Halen was great for their time but they turned into a nostalgia act that is less relevant by the day.

10. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

really, i'd say that Van Halen had a similar effect. they really did change things when they hit and ended up creating their own culture. a complete dead-end sort of thing, but still.

11. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

You know I actually thought about editing my post to say this. Van Halen was a huge cultural band. It's just that their staying power faded quickly.

For the record, I am a huge Vh fan and don't care for Nirvana much.

I am as surprised as anyone.

My small sample size is the guitar club I run at my high school. In 17 years, this is the first year I ever had a kid ask, "can you show me how to play Eruption?"

The "older" bands kids seem to still like are Guns N Roses, Zeppelin, Green Day, and Nirvana.

bucketsofcake and Old Guy like this.
  12. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

What if your mom was like "you were much more interesting as a baby and I want you to eat pureed peas and use a diaper again."

People grow up. Let them.

13. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

14. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

… never tap, squeal harmonically, or dive bomb again. Instead, put out an album showing the other side of your playing including some clean funky stuff like Top Jimmy, Finish what you Started, and awesome chording work like Little Guitars and Summer Nights Intro - show us the rhythm and funk side of EVH. We've only seen 10%-20% of what this cat can do! Drop all the squealy deweedle-dee crap - you got way more in the tank than that!!

Sidmore likes this.
  15. Coach T.

Coach T. Member

...continue not giving a flying f*** what anybody else wishes he’d do/did/done. #itsonlyrocknroll

uab9253 and strike3 like this.
  16. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

Nothing funny about fat shaming, dude. Some people struggle with that their whole lives. Present company included. Lighten up? How about having some empathy? Oh, wait. This is TGP. Never mind.

Kuron likes this.
  17. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

The thing is, all he does is seem to complain about everyone and everything. Great, you want to stomp on your legacy and fade away? Fantastic! Just STFU about it already, LOL.

Kuron likes this.
  18. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

I'm confused.
    EVH didn't actually write songs, correct?
    He wrote riffs that others turned into songs, at least that's my understanding.
    In that case, he needs someone to work with.

19. InkStained

InkStained Member

... celebrate the fact that he's sober while hoping to god his fans never attain that state.

20. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

I get it. If a classic artist has new material out and genuinely seems like they're trying to push forward and still applying themselves, I'll check them out. If they're doing vaudeville approximation of the olden days reaching into the boomers' (me included) wallets before they croak , nah....

Old Guy likes this.