I WANT THIS TONE!!! Does anyone know Petrucci exact setup in this clip?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tylerfreak, Feb 23, 2012.

1. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

Yes, I have searched, and yes I have seen the end of the video where he goes over his gear, but...his live tone from his rig at the end of the video seems different than the tone here on ex. 16. I have never owned a Mesa (mostly Marshall as of now, thinking about jumping to a JMP-1? possibly a Voodoo modded one), but Sykes and this old Petrucci tone in this clip are exactly what I am after!

Need to know whether to get a Mesa Mark 3, 4, 5 or triaxis and what I need to put with it. Would prefer to be able to get that tubey, edgy and harmonical tone especially on bent lead notes; being able to get it at low volume like it seems Petrucci is getting in the vid would be a nice bonus...I have an Ultimate Attenuator, so that should help if it is a head. Any help would be great on the proper setup. Thanks guys!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Can't help you in the least, but my is that some nice tone!
    -
    Austin

3. 1967SG

1967SG Member

I used to have this DVD, but gave it to my nephew years ago. IRC it was his Triaxis into a Mesa 2:100 power amp, with a TC 2290 delay. Might be wrong, but that is what I remember that era being along with a Mesa MKIIc+.

4. axavm

axavm Member

Yeah this video was a while ago. I wish I could remember what was on the video exactly, but you are spot on with his gear back then (except it was a 2:90 power amp) I had the Triaxis/2:90 and boogie speakers and that same JPM model guitar. Still have the guitar. Some good tone for sure.

5. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

A Triaxis can cop tose tones...really?!!! So all I need is a stock Triaxis, 2:90, and a delay?

Maybe we can go a step further...if we can indeed confirm the Triaxis and 2:90...does anyone know his settings for the Triaxis or if he used a graphic/parametric eq or any other "enhancing" gear like Sonic Maximizers or anything?

Thanks a ton guys, Ill see what I can find out about the Triaxis, but I have never heard anyone pull those tones out of one, thats for sure.

6. axavm

axavm Member

Well, just to be clear I can't recall what he was using on this video in particular, but he was definitely using the Triaxis/2:90/2290 and the Mark2 back then. The triaxis was more versatile then was given credit for imho. As for this video...? Well, maybe look around some more, but it is quite possible that this is pretty close. Sorry, can't be more specific.

7. ungarn

ungarn Member

Master volume on a Mark V is FANTASTIC...not sure if such tones can be had at low volume with the other Mesa rigs he has used...TriAxis, Road King, MkII, MkIV,...

8. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

He goes through his rig later in the same DVD, explaining what he's playing through in some detail. 2x Triaxis plus a MkIIC+, with a PCM70 and a 2290.

9. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Thanks about the power amp, they probably don't make a 2/100.:bonk
    Side note - I have seen a lot bands just starting up back in the 70's and 80's and my chance to see DT went out the window when I had to work late one night. They were playing a small nite club in Chicago called The Avalon. My buds went and they recorded the video for Pull Me Under from Images and Words that nite. They played it twice to make sure they got the filming right I guess. Early in the show and maybe as an encore.

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

reminds me of vintage Lukather tone a bit.JP is a pretty great rock player!

11. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

yeah, Lukes tone is sick, but this Petrucci toner here is awesome!...check out some John Sykes for similar tones.

Bump for more info please!

12. reo73

reo73 Member

I don't think it has ever been specifically documented what amp he used for the instructional portion of that DVD but my best guess is a Triaxis or a IIC+. Petrucci has always used some variation of the Mark series amps whether it be a Triaxisa, a IIC+, a IV, or a V. He did use the Roadking for a few years too which was actually my favorite tone from him.

My suggestion to get that DVD tone on the cheap is pick-up a Mesa Studio Pre into a some Mesa Power Amp. The Studio Pre is a very close approximation to the IIC+ sound and is very much a Petrucci tone. A Mark III will get you in the ballpark too.

A JMP-1 will not get you there...I used to have one and it just doesn't have the Mesa Mark texture in it's sound.

BTW...I love Petrucci's more fusion-y sounding soloing.

13. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

That tone is cool, but its a dark sounding for my taste - sounds like he is using the neck pickup. It is a very tasty tone, though.

It also seems you can even hear his pick working on the strings, so maybe they had a room mic as well as the amp miked in a different room - not that it matters much but recorded tone on a DVD like this is always more than just the guitar & amp.

It sounds like he uses a really thick pick.

14. SG_Growler

SG_Growler Member

I don't know if anybody's mentioned it, but Petrucci just worked with TC Electronic and put out a new pedal. I believe it is called the Dream or the Dreamer. It's supposed to have USB-downloadable toneprint on it.
    Wouldn't be surprised if you can cop this tone.
    Downside is the pedal runs $250 and JUST came out so there aren't going to be a whole lot of killer deals on eBay.

15. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

16. Blix

Blix Member

Most likely a Triaxis in the Mark IIC+ mode, or an actual IIC+ as already mentioned.

But a lot of the "tubey, edgy and harmonical tone especially on bent lead notes" tone is the DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell he used in the neck position back then, a very cool neck pickup, almost single-coil-ish in it's response.

So you definitely want to check out that pickup if you want a similar tone! :)

17. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

I thought it was an Air Norton with a Steves Special?

Anyone think a Studio Pre can do this tone?

18. reo73

reo73 Member

YES. If you read my previous post my suggestion was to get the Studio Pre. I have one into an older Mesa 50/50 power amp and it is very much that tone. The right guitar/PUs play a part too but the Mesa amp is a must.

19. Blix

Blix Member

If the video is made after Awake it may be the Air Norton/Steve's Special combo yeah.

The Mesa Studio Preamp will get you close to that singing lead tone, but it will not do the tigh rhythm crunch tone.

20. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

One thing that has bugged me about Mesas and has kept be from ever buying one is that I feel they sound flubby in the bottom...maybe I didnt know how to eq it properly...I have learned that you are supposed keep the bass down and use the eq to boost your bass frequencies to remedy this I guess.

My question is which of these these Mesa amps all able to keep a tight bottom and still get that edgy bent note harmonical thing?