I want to build a 32" scale F-style bass with Warmoth parts, any thoughts/recommendations?

voodoochili12

Silver Supporting Member
Hey folks, I've been playing guitar for 15 years and want to branch out into bass for home recording and some cover band gigs.

I really want maximum playability, so I'm leaning towards a 32" scale - which I surmise is a nice balance between a full traditional 34" and a very small 30" scale.

Is Warmoth a good company? Any insights/recommendations on what to do, or not to do in the ordering and build process?

Thanks

royd

Go for it! Their bodies and necks are very well made. You will end up with a bass that has whatever level of parts you choose and likely will have higher quality parts than you would have gotten for a similar price in a company built bass. It is a fun project (I've built three partscasters). You get exactly what you want.

now the downside... it will cost more than you expect and if you ever sell the bass, you'll lose money. Resale on parts built instruments is not good. Often, you make out better if you part it out and sell the parts separately. I'd expect this to be even more true with a short scale bass. Sometimes you end up with an amazing instrument and sometimes it doesn't quite add up to the sum of the parts (I've had both results).

I have some GAS to do exactly the same thing. I've looked over the in-stock pages and chosen bodies and necks and looked at hardware and pups , adding it all up, more than once...

For a less expensive route with a standard scale neck that still gives you an excellent instrument, check out the Carvin kits. Their bodies and necks are really well made. Pups and hardware are more mixed.

s2y

Warmoth's truss rod system seemed to be heavy a few years back. Not sure if that has been addressed in recent times.

I have all sorts of difference scale lengths for bass. I can't say that 32" makes a huge difference compared to my hands.

s2y

Thanks for the input - anyone else have any feedback about their short scale bass builds?

Short scale basses can sometimes lose a little too much top end to be the most versatile.

Are you more interested in shorter scale lengths to help with stretching? One thing about guitar is that the smaller necks are more forgiving of poor technique, from an ergonomics perspective. The size and effort it takes to play bass is a lot less forgiving, especially if you have smaller hands. Using Simandl fingering, ditching 1 finger per fret, proper bass height, and putting fretting hand the thumb behind the neck has the potential to fix a lot. I'm a short dude who used to play a lot of 35" scale 6 string basses.

voodoochili12

Silver Supporting Member
Are you more interested in shorter scale lengths to help with stretching?

Yes - exactly. I'm looking for playability, and I'm not a highly experienced bassist. I'm not a bass tone purist, so I figure I can live with the non-traditional aspects and tonal variance of a shorter scale as opposed to the trad 34".

My big decision is to go P or Jazz. Leaning toward a P for beefiness.

zenfreud

Silver Supporting Member
If you haven't played much bass and are interested in a 32" scale, I think Fender had some Japanese versions of the J & P, might be a good place to start. Will be cheaper than building a new parts bass and resale will be higher.
And don't rule out 30" scale basses (Mustang, etc), they're fun to play & can sound really fat.

Mighty Melvin

I am in the process of dialing in a Precision Bass with a 32" neck on it and I just love it to death. The power of a low E on a 34" Fender is a thrill but there's a lot of other notes that have to be played and there's not much lost there. The 32" is marvelous.

For some reason it's a real short step from a 34" to a 32" but a real big step from a 32" to a 30".

AdmiralB

I picked up one of the Pawn Shop reverse Jaguar basses recently - it's a 32". I like it, it's quite playable (although the neck is a lot wider than it needs to be, like they chopped off two frets' worth at the nut and stuck the headstock back on). I don't really notice it being any different than a 34" going back and forth.

I think 32" is just fine and you'll be quite happy.

s2y

Yes - exactly. I'm looking for playability, and I'm not a highly experienced bassist. I'm not a bass tone purist, so I figure I can live with the non-traditional aspects and tonal variance of a shorter scale as opposed to the trad 34".

My big decision is to go P or Jazz. Leaning toward a P for beefiness.

I guess my only caution is to avoid closing the door on certain options. It's hard to find good 32" scale 5 or 6 string basses. I wouldn't want someone to hand me a given standard bass and not be able to play it.

I'm far from a purist and would recommend the P/J pickup config. Something about standard J basses leaves me cold and I like the tones I'd be missing from a regular P bass.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom