I want to build a crazy tele!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teleking36, Jul 7, 2008.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Member

I've been mulling over an idea for a tele build in my head for the last year, and when the funds free up, I'd like to pursue it.

I really like the idea of having a chambered mahogany tele body, with a custom shaped aluminum top (a la Zemaitis/Helliver/Trussart), configured in the vein of the '72 Telecaster Deluxe and the following:

- Fender Style maple tele neck with a rosewood board
    - Gretsch Filtertron pickups
    - 3-way LP style switch
    - two volume and two tone controls

I absolutely love all three builders I mentioned above, but they are way out of my price range. The most affordable would probably be Helliver, but that's still around $3500 and up, and they don't do tele designs AFAIK. My main concern is the aluminum/metal design and engraving.

Is this a project I can start with Warmoth/USACG/Musikraft parts and have the aluminum front co-designed and built for me by someone else? I can surely get through the pickup wiring and hardware installation myself, and have the guitar set up by my tech.

Please tell me if this is just a pipe dream, or if it can be done for a reasonable amount. I'm looking to do the whole package for somewhere around $1500-1800.

2. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

3. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Yeah, I'm totally on board with doing the Filtertron pickups. I just think it would be bad ass if I could have a metalfront Tele Deluxe style guitar. I don't really need anything crazy fancy like the Zemaitis tops. I guess something like this would suit me more (Trussart Steeltop):

[​IMG]

I actually like it without engraving, but wouldn't be against a little bit of flair. I have some creative ideas for design templates as well.

4. dannyschmanny

dannyschmanny Member

funny to see this, i actually had a project tele (started as a mexi standard, replaced the neck and hardware and as much as i sometimes hate to admit it being that my other two main guitars are complete custom warmoths i love...this is my go to axe now)

specs are as follows...
    body: sunburst tele mexi neck (parchment pickgaurd)
    neck:warmoth vintage/modern tele neck (all maple with gloss aged finish and kluson style locking tuners)
    pickups: bridge is a tv jones magna'tron, neck is a 55 antiquity tele neck.
    (my tech set this up as a 4 way, but it also has a pull pot that pushes the mids so that makes it an 8 selection, plus it has a treble boost like shown in the tv jones video...so its really a 12 option)

as soon as i started using this guitar and an orange tiny terror live, every show i play i get atleast 1 or 2 people coming up saying how awesome my tone is.

generally play rock/pop these days, but i recently produced a heavier rock band and ended up playing on it as well so you can hear a sample of this tele at the link below. you can really hear the unique sound of the tv jones in some of the single note stuff i do later in the song. (im the guitar on the right)

www.myspace.com/maxwelladams

listen to the song "souls"

5. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Sounds great!

I'm really into Rich Robinson and all his gear. Since I can't afford the Zemaitis and Trussart guitars he employs, I figured I could try and build a guitar similar to what he's using without breaking the bank, and try to personalize it with a cool metalfront of my own. Teles are by far my favorite guitars, so I look at it as the ultimate platform for me. I'm in love with the way some of the Gretsch models sound, too, so changing it up with some Filtertrons would be fun!

6. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

Tele Sonic,, I used to own one... minus the steel top of course..

[​IMG]

7. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

I finished a tele yesterday with two filtertrons. It still needs a nut, but I'll try to get a photo posted soon. I used a set that Curt Novak made for me, and the above-mentioned TV Jones "Savalas" bridge.

There is a fellow named John Catto who shows up at the Reranch board occasionally who does some fantastic Zematis-style carved metal tops. Perhaps you could commision him? Here's some of his work:

http://www.mondocatto.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bigsbyplus.html

8. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Excellent! I'd love to see some pics.

And thank you very much for the info! I'm going to talk to John about pricing. I'd imagine he would want to work with me through the process so that it's done correctly. Thanks again.