i want to buy this

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by feet, Jan 6, 2020.

1. feet

feet Supporting Member

what do you have your eye on? is it something feasible, or a bit of a stretch?

after much, much, much deliberation, i have decided what my next bass will be (probably).

[​IMG]

it p's, it j's, it does classic sounds, it has some modernity going for it and people seem enthralled with it. i like the current look and features more than the older ones, and the blue is sassy. it's more than i want to spend, but i kept talking myself up the ladder. "for a few bucks more you can have the active model", then "for a few bucks more, you can have the mij one", then "for a few bucks more, you can get the blue one". so i'm hoping a nice used one comes along. the nut is slightly wider than a j but not a p width, these are smaller, lighter, more ergonomic and possibly more playable than your average p/j, yamaha is super underrated and i just feel good about mij stuff. it's a little different, which i enjoy, and should cover a whole lot of bases.

runner up might be the mij ibanez talman bass, which isn't much different than this. maybe after tax time i'll get lucky with something. some used sunburst ones fall into the $1000-1100 range, so i hope that happens with a blue one, too.

2. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Those are nice basses for sure!
    Tip: P/Js don't J as well as they P. Every P/J I experience is really an enhanced P. You can nail P tones and mix in some J pickup to get the cool, scoopy tones. Of course, if you like to solo the bridge pickup, that's J-riffic!
    However, to get a convincing J emulation, get a push/pull pot to give the option of putting the P pickup in series or parallel. In series, it's a traditional P. In parallel, it's much closer to emulating J tones. I did this to my passive P/J and it's the go-to passive bass to take to gigs that require a lot of tones. It can nearly do it all!

Jon Moody and derekd like this.
  3. derekd

derekd Member

I have a Dingwall ABZ and Squier P I really like.

If I were to have a regular gig playing bass I might look into having MJT build a P or grab a 5 string by F Bass. I really like the looks and playability of their instruments.

[​IMG]

fretless and jdranger like this.
  4. feet

feet Supporting Member

that's the thing, though. i hate the solo bridge pickup on a j. i'm sometimes ok with it in a mix or used to sharpen the neck pickup, but as far as a p/j's go... well, i'm loathe to publicly state that i'm all about the p-ness, but it's safe to say i probably won't mix in a lot of j. but then again, i don't hate it nearly as much as i usually do when i hear the bb in clips, which is interesting to me. i'm also curious about their fancy aging process, and how it compares to the 40+ year old mij j it'll be joining. if it ever happens.

this one seems to be spec'ed out well so i'd let it ride for a bit before considering changes, which is extremely rare for me. i usually have pots and caps and pups picked out and ordered by the time a guitar arrives. and i'd want to learn both the bb and the p concept before i start tinkering. flats vs rounds and stringing above or thru would be my biggest questions to start with. aside from "what have i done?" and "who'll pay for this?".

well that looks all fancy and modern and metal (i assume). never seen one of those before. and i didn't know that mjt made basses, but why wouldn't they. that's interesting to think about, as i was always curious about their guitars.

derekd likes this.
  5. derekd

derekd Member

Not metal at all unless you want to play that way.

Here's Andrew Gouche, famous gospel player on one of Scott's Bass Lesson interviews. He's ripping up a 6-string F Bass.

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I'm most certainly not a soloed bridge J guy at all. Maybe once in a while I'll use that setting, within a loop, to make that part pop.
    However, as much as I love P basses, I love J's a little more and really do like the blended tones and it's why I will always prefer a P/J over a P. Talkbass is all about P basses. ;)

derekd likes this.
  7. wynsmth

wynsmth Supporting Member

Not an FBass. That's an MTD Andrew Gouche model.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Member

String type will be your first major decision after they bass arrives or comes home with you. Other than the pickups themselves that's where your biggest variation in basic tonality will come from.

It's best to have an idea of approximately where you want to be in the brightness spectrum. GHS has an excellent tool for visualizing this with their own line but it pretty much applies to other string manufacturers as well. There really aren't all that many of them.

[​IMG]

If the bass and bridge permit both thru body loading and top loading you may want to decide which you prefer before ordering strings or check with a string vendor for suggestions/advice before ordering.

I've used Fret Nation (previously bass strings online) for years. Jason is a pro bassist himself, very knowledgeable, and always willing to help. Plus his prices are as good as I've found anywhere.

Happy NBD.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  9. derekd

derekd Member

Really?

I sure thought it was. Thanks for the catch.

wynsmth likes this.
  10. feet

feet Supporting Member

part of the tragicomedy of me buying another bass is that i'm probably a j guy at heart and i got mine for like $200+, when that was still possible with 70s mij basses. this is mostly acedemic and funsies and forcing myself to try other things and cover bases i might even really need covered. i just need something to fawn over sometimes.

i could go for a few hofners too, now that i think about it :p

my first big thing would be rounds vs flats. i'm not really a string changer and i already have flats on my j, so maybe slightly mellowed rounds that i can brighten with a pick would be the way to go, for variety's sake. i've always been a just strings guy, but i never buy bass strings so it's largely moot.

no idea on top vs body loading. i'm a huge tension fan, but that's because i play a lot of acoustic and hollowbody guitars and i tune down a fair bit, so i always went with fatter strings with more tension. i don't think i've every played looser, spongier feeling bass strings. i assume that it comes top loaded, and if that's fine, i'll probably leave well enough alone.

no purchase yet. might not happen for a while, and if i'm smart, it'll never happen. luckily, i'm an idiot, so i'll keep poking around. they have a blue five string on reverb for under $1000 and it makes me very angry because i'm a four string guy. i even watched a bunch of five string videos trying to talk myself into it, but i can't.

11. wynsmth

wynsmth Supporting Member

They both build great basses!

derekd likes this.
  12. soulman969

soulman969 Member

The GHS Pressurewounds I may have mentioned before would fit that description nicely. They're also rollerwound nickel alloy strings so in addition to having a nice feel with less string noise they tend to last much longer than most roundwounds.

I've been playing them on my Jazz Basses for nearly 10 years and both of my G&Ls also have them. They're a very versatile string with a reasonable amount of stiffness. I like strings with some "fight" and they have it. Good selection of different gauges and lengths as well.

13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

If you don't like the sound of the single-coil bridge pickups you should NOT get a P/J bass, IMHO.
    What you might like is the sound of a split-coil bridge pickup:

[​IMG]

This^ is the Blacktop Jazz, made in Mexico by Fender, however they're no longer produced.
    If you find them pre-owned they're about $400 USD.

If you want something lighter & with a thinner neck, the old SR500 will do, also with split-coil pickups under the covers:

[​IMG]

14. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Love coincidences. Decided early this morning I “ needed “ a 5 string bass which is odd being I’m not a bassist :p

So I started researching Basses and decided I wanted a BBP35. Easy enough. I do a little research , reading spec’s and info on Yamahas website. Read a few reviews from a bass forum. Start researching used prices. I decide to do a simple google shopping search and BAM ! The BBP35 Pro pops up on Amazon in midi night blue at $ 1000.53. Again BAM , it’s being delivered on Saturday :)
    At least I really hope so. Went back to amazon and now it’s listed at like $ 1519. Double checked and my order still looks like it went thru @ a $1000.

fingers crossed

15. feet

feet Supporting Member

this is fantastic news for you and only you, and I've never wanted to toss you out a window more. :D I hope you find it suits your needs. I really tried to talk myself into a five string to save some cash, but I just can't do it.

Please report back once it arrives. I'd love to here some first hand accounts. All I've read has been significant praise thus far. And what an awesome deal, too. I might have been OK with the lower end version but if you can get the fancy one for $1000 ish, you kinda have to.

that blacktop jazz is both disconcerting and oddly intriguing. Wonder why that doesn't happen more?

Down and Out in NYC likes this.
  16. Down and Out in NYC

Roflmao- now that funny !!!

believe me , nothing would’ve made me happier sharing the news that you would’ve been able to scoop one up at that price as well. I would’ve DM’ed and quoted your post so you would’ve gotten a couple alerts.

I’ll post some pics and thoughts after it arrives. Hopes are high as the Japanese guitars I’ve had in this price range are excellent

17. RodneyDJones

RodneyDJones Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 3:24 PM
  18. jay42

jay42 Member

An FBass BN-5 is the best bass I've ever touched. ymmv

19. feet

feet Supporting Member

I'm excited for you and the coming updates. Though there is a small part of me that hopes it sucks so I don't buy one, too :p

these are delightful. Only seen one in person, and that was for a few songs at a u2 concert. I took notice, but I'm an epiphone guy. That said, silly question, but why not a guild starfire? Aren't they pretty similar? Since we're talking reissues, here, anyway.

RodneyDJones likes this.
  20. Down and Out in NYC

My initial impressions of the BBP35 are VERY GOOD.

It was delivered in a sealed Yamaha box that looked like it had never been opened. Being i picked it up new at the price I did I wondered if it might have been a return or something. That didn’t seem to be the case.

Fit and finish is solid. Just about as good as anything I’ve seen. The midnight blue finish looks almost black from certain angles and has a mirror like quality it.

One of the first things I noticed , or thought I noticed was hidden fret ends. I like this feature and was pleasantly surprised to see it here. I owned a lower end Yamaha electric for a brief period years ago. Think it was a AES620. It appeared to have hidden ends , and I guess technically it did but not in the sense I think when thinking hidden fret ends. I’m used to seeing hidden fret ends where the fret slots are not cut through the ends of the board , the tangs on the frets are nipped then pressed into place. On the AES the frets slots where cut all the way through , the tangs where nipped and then the ends were filled with something. I remembered this when checking out the BBP and upon further inspection i thought I could see seams at a few of the fret ends that look like they had been filled as well. Albeit much cleaner looking then on the AES. I’m not 100 % sure though because since plugging it in I’ve just been playing it.

Set up out of the box seemed pretty much spot on. The literature included in the case lists spec’s for action and it was delivered with exactly those spec’s. Not being a bass player I’m not sure if this is considered high , medium or low but it’s comfy. If I remember correctly the low B should be at 3.1 mm at the last fret and 2.7 mm at the G. Relief was good , I didn’t measure it but I did tighten it up truss rod just a tad. It seemed set at the higher end of the spectrum and I’m not a big fan of excessive relief preferring as little as possible. I did lower the action a hair as I’m a low action junky as well.

Compared to my buddies 5 string the set up on this bass is phenomenal. He’s always sounding out of tune , so I grabbed his bass to check out a couple weeks ago. The relief on it was set about 1/8th of an inch and the action at the last fret was like 9/16th’s or 14.2 mm. :-O typing that reminded me how well the nut on the BBP is cut and how the action at the nut seems perfect. I didn’t measure it on the BB but I did on my buds Schecter. The Schecter string height at the first fret when fretted starts the 3rd fret was like 4mm.

Very pleased with playability and the tones I’m achieving through either a Yamaha THX or the Helix rack. Been playing it for about 15 minutes each day before switching back to one of my guitars that now feel like ukuleles.

A musical acquaintance at work whose a multi instrumentalist , playing keys , drums , bass and guitar commented on the weight saying it was really nice adding the body seems a bit thinner than on his jazz bass. He also thought the unplugged sounds coming from it are great commenting on how free from buzz it is.

Don’t buy one
    You’ll hate it :)

fretless likes this.