I want to change the stock Pups in my EJ strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bloozeman1, Jan 26, 2015.

1. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Im wanting to change out the stock Pick ups in one of my EJ strats just to see if I can get a bigger fatter thicker tone. The stocks are ok but I feel theres something out there that will sound better but not sure what. Im considering Van Zandt vintage plus, and Ive come across D Allen and Lollars but cant decide which would be best for a Blues/Rock Tone in a strat. any ideas or suggestions? I do not play any metal or even hard rock, I am mostly blues/rock like hendrix, SRV, KWS, Mato Nanji etc...

2. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Look into Kinman. Best pickups I've ever used in my strats and I've used a LOT. I have them in my 88 MIJ Fender and they're absolutely incredible.

3. snarkle

snarkle Member

The Van Zandts might be a good fit for you. I have some really old Van Zandts in a guitar right now and they're somewhere between the stock EJ pickups and Texas Specials...more chime than the latter but hotter than the EJs. They've definitely got that Texas blues thing going on.

I've also got Don Mare's Formvar '50s in an EJ, and they're spectacular pickups, but very much in the glassy '50s mode, as the name suggests. I did have some issues with an intermittent short in the bridge pickup, but Don replaced that unit for the cost of shipping, and even made the replacement a little hotter at my request—even though I'd bought the pickups secondhand.

Might be worth having a chat with Don to see what he recommends...

4. Imola82

Imola82 Member

If you want fat tone, they are just that. I removed them from my first CS Strat and replaced with a Dimarzio Area 61' in the neck, JBE in the middle and SD Lil' 59' in the bridge.

Actually thinking of keeping the stock pup's in my other CS Strat, not Fat 50's though. If I replace them, not soon, Kinman Woodstock's.

I'm never gonna put the Fat 50's back in the first CS Strat, nor sell the axe, so if you want em' PM me.

5. rummy

rummy Member

Fralin Blues Specials. Perfect for fatter yet vintage Strat tone.

6. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Wow...lot of Kinman love going on! I recently picked up a marvelous Grosh Retro Classic with Kinman Woodstocks, and they are EXACTLY what I want to hear. Probably not for folks who are into extremely organic tones, but man, do they sound great!

7. kenneth

kenneth Member

This is not a popular choice these days, but Fender Texas Specials I really (still) like for rock/blues. I haven't kept up with all the boutique offerings above, but it may be worth your time to visit your local fender dealer and try a couple models that come equipped stock with Texas Specials, to see if you may like them.

8. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

Hold on to the stock pickups for when you sell it.

9. David Garner

David Garner Member

Fralin or Lollar Specials is what I'd do.

10. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I changed mine for the same reason. I chose to go with D Allen tru 62's from sound samples. This worked out great. The tone is nice and thick if I want, but I can still get some nice quack and shimmer with the 2 and 4 positions. The biggest improvement is this is the best bridge pickup I have ever heard in a strat, no icepick in the ear treble with these baby's. I bought a loaded pickguard and kept the EJ electronics intact.

11. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with virtual vintage Dimarzio heavy blues 2 and a virtual vintage 54 pro. Using the heavy blues 2 in the bridge and neck and the 54 pro in the middle. just waiting for them to arrive so I can get them installed and check it out

12. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Please report back your thoughts when you get them installed. :)