I want to circuit mod my Peavey Classic 30

M

Member 20177

I've done tubes, speaker. I'm thinking input, tone stack and boost mods. Looks like I could do them myself. Missing anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

harpinon

If you just like modding, then go for it.
If you want that amp to sound really good-forget it. Unless you gut the board out and hand wire a completely different circuit, its probably not going to pay off. IMHO of course.

M

Member 20177

I just got done playing it... Nah...it sounds fine just the way it is. It's my backup anyway. Just sold my Mini and may sell my TM36... Looking to clear stuff out, done playing out. I think it would do fine as my only for a while.

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
Only mod I would do to the classic 30 is to add a bias pot, beyond what you have done already....

teefus

input section, tone stack, boost and drive sections are all good mods. check blueguitar.org for more info. i cut the boost cap value to half or even a quarter the original value for a more usable boost. the input section mods are probably the most important, then tone/boost and drive, imho.

dcooper830

The only mod I did to mine was install a Celestion Vintage 30 and I'm extremely happy and satisfied with it.

In fact, it never ceases to amaze me how good it sounds!!

I know my post isn't that helpful but I just had to say that lol!

socalscott

No backing out dude. Heat up that iron. Let the adventure begin. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. How is that for a push?

M

Member 20177

Sold one then bought another....go figure... Board is out an the modding is underway. I've gotten some good advice and help from a fellow TGP'er whose name I won't mention unless he says it O.K.. I'm learning a lot and hope it works when it's done.

Jp2558

After owning Marshall and Fender amps, I'm quite happy with my C-30. I play it through my 1960A cab. Only mod I did was install a Weber blue dog. Great bang for the buck and takes pedals very well.

vibrostrat43

From personal experience, don't mod a one of the Peavey Classic 30's or 50's unless you've already done extensive modding before and are comfortable with it. It was my first amp to ever experiment on, and they're made very cheaply and are a pain to take apart, and put back together. Mine ended up not working after I modded it...not to say that's the amp's fault or the manufacturer's but that they're not easy to mod if you're just getting started in it.

Jlew

Let us know how it works out. I have one too, replaced the tubes with JJs a while back and just put in a Weber blue dog ceramic. Sounds pretty good, somewhat better than before, but I can't seem to get any tones that I think are really outstanding. I have little opportunity to crank it too, so I'm sure that's the biggest issue.

M

Member 20177

From personal experience, don't mod a one of the Peavey Classic 30's or 50's unless you've already done extensive modding before and are comfortable with it. It was my first amp to ever experiment on, and they're made very cheaply and are a pain to take apart, and put back together. Mine ended up not working after I modded it...not to say that's the amp's fault or the manufacturer's but that they're not easy to mod if you're just getting started in it.

Too late. :worried, input and OD mods are done. Tone stack and tube board next.

Top Bottom