I want to get a Jazz bass on a budget. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Glowing Tubes, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to take up the bass for recording and maybe even playing out.
    Ive seen several decent looking Fender and Squire jazz basses. Want to keep this cheap, under $400 if possible.
    What are some of my better options for a jazz bass at this price point?

Thanks

2. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

You should be able to find a decent MIM Fender Jazz bass s/h for around $400. Check the Guitar Center website along with EBay, Reverb and, of course, the TGP Emporium.

3. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Member

In my opinion, the Squier CV Jazz is consistently the best jazz bass out of the entire Fender/Squier family. Even if funds were unlimited, I can't see any reason for buying anything else. It'll handle live or recording tasks with ease, and look great doing so.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

^
    This.

5. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

I just bought a used MIM Jazz bass for 300 with a hard case which I think was a fair deal.

I hear good things about the Squier CV series. I haven't played a Squier CV bass. However, I am a guitarist mainly and despite the rave reviews, the CV guitars I have played felt cheap and plastic-y compared to Fender branded MIM instruments. Just my opinion...I am sure they are worth checking out!

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Do look at Squier Vintage Modified j-basses, too. New about $300. Pay close attention to the neck, it seems to be the most variable aspect of these basses, and you may have to look at a few before you find "the one". I had a VM Fretless j-bass for a while that was great.

7. blackmore11

blackmore11 Member

You should also check out the G&L Tribute line. I just got a supercheap JB-2 and I love it! I used to play a Squier VM Jazz with the Duncan Designed pickups. To my ears, the Tribute smokes it in every way. The only thing that might put you off is that it has a P-bass shaped body. But, it is worth checking out.

8. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

I'd go for a used MIM Standard Jazz (should be around $300) over any of the Squiers, but the Squiers are pretty decent too.

9. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

the best cheap bass i played was a Squier Jazz bass. It had that weird plastic (??) fingerboard.

Edit: this one

[​IMG]

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Peavey MIA Foundation - surprising build quality for a bass that can be had for $200 or so... There are several on GC's used gear pages right now...

- georgestrings

11. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I will have to search and compare.

I like the look of that.

I. Looking for a Jazz bass, just prefer the look over Peavey.

I will have to look at the G&L though, like their guitars.

12. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe Fenders are great. Used Mexican Standards and Deluxes, G&L Tributes... all are great for the sub $400 range.

13. phodg

phodg Member

I got a new Fender MIM FSR Jazz from Guitar Center over Xmas when they had their "$100 off $499+" promotion running. So it cost me $399 brand new. If you look around you can find some good deals, both new and used.

14. PCR

PCR Member

Inexpensive Jazz basses are out there if you're patient.

I found good deals here and on Craigslist.
    I bought a white Squier Custom Classic Vibe Jazz Bass for $120 two years ago.
    And I bought my white Fender MIM Jazz Bass for $175. Both needed a little TLC, but after a little elbow grease and a good setup, they are both good instruments.

[​IMG]