I want to put a whammy bar on my SG...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by willyripz, Jul 22, 2006.

1. willyripz

willyripz Member

Yo!

I want to put some kind of a whammy bar setup on my Gibson SG. I've looked into bigsby but I really like the style on the angus young SG its on the front page of http://gibson.com/ . What is this style? I think Derek Trucks has a similar style on his SG.

Any help? Thanks

2. dogfood

dogfood Member

I'll sell you a SG with a Kahler tremelo minus the handle with a crappy paint job and a standard Gibson cracked neck joint also still has "Special 400" single/single/hum pickup configuration...bet this junker will go for $3000 one day :crazy

3. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Look at either the "Les Trem" or Stetsbar for something relatively clean and reversible. I have a Bigsby myself, but the guitar was built with it.

4. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Member

Look into a Bowen handle. I have a couple of them` and they are very similar to the Bigsby, but 100% non-invasive, completely reversible. ZThey sit on the studs that your stop tail mounts to. :)

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

The Maestro that is on many SGs (Derek's and Angus), to me, works just fine, and I think it looks great. Of course I never do dive bombs with it, just some slight embellishment sort of stuff, and no tuning problems. But that's about all I use one for on any guitar.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Check out a Stets Bar...
    If you have a tune-o-matic bridge and separate tailpiece, you can add one to your guitar with zero modification/drilling/routing... Nifty idea, they move the bridge closer to the headstock to drop pitch in a linear fashion rather than raising the bridge up or down...

7. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

Must have locking tuners with a whammy or it'll go whackey out o tune fast.

8. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Member

That is not necessarily true. I run Bigsby B-5's on several of my guitars, and have no tuning issues at all with them. If you have good quality tuners and your nut is carved properly, a good whammy will not give you a problem. If your nut binds or your tuners have backlash, then your tuning issues will pester you forever. You definitely want locking tuners or locking nut if you go with Floyd Rose or similar, but a good quality whammy with proper setup will not give you trouble. Personally, I don't like locking tuners, but love the Bigsbys. :)

9. willyripz

willyripz Member

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Stets Bar on SG:
    [​IMG]

I was going to put one on my PRS when they release the one piece bridge/stoptail model, but now I think I'm going to get a strat, so I'll be just fine with two guitars instead...

All-chrome model pictured below, if you really want it to look like a Harley...

[​IMG]

Here's the "Les Trem"
    [​IMG]

... and the "Bowen Handle":

[​IMG]

Stets bar is over $300, Les Trem around $135 and Bowen Handle about $60...

11. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Member

I'm really liking the looks of those Stets Bars. The price gives me the shivers, but the hardware looks really cool. I wonder how heavy they are, and if they offer dealer/manufacturers pricing...

12. muddy

muddy Member

the stets bar is butt-fuggly!!! i'm still waitin' on rick to finish designing his skyway whammy for sg's. it should be much more elegant looking, while providing full range of whammy motion in both directions. c'mon rick, it's time!!!

ml

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The looks of the Stets Bar are not as bad as the Bowen Handle, IMHO, however the Les Trem doesn't look very obtrusive. I really like the way that the Stets Bar functions, though.

14. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

15. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Anybody have a Bowen Handle? My concern is that the support clip for the trem arm seems to stick out fairly high - would that fit in a case? Does it come off or fold over?

16. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Member

I have 2 Bowen handles. Neither one on a guitar right now, but had no problems with fitting in a hardshell case when it was on my Epi Sheraton, the other one used to be on an older SG, which lived in a gig bag. The arm unscrews, the bracket stays put. They were fun to fool around with, similar to Bigsby trems, but reversible and not quite as good a feel as the Bigsby. Mine were a bit stiffer action than the Bigsby B-5's I'm accustomed to. I liked them for what they are, but sold those guitars now, so they sit in a box. Both gold plated. I'll shoot ya a deal if you want one.. PM me. :)

17. 6789

6789 Member

I recently bought a Les Trem for my SG. It works great. It fits in the hardshell case with the arm still attatched. It feels similar to a Bigsby tremolo.
    [​IMG]

18. Manx

Manx Member

Bigsby is the way to go. I've got a '70 std SG with a factory Bigsby (says Gibson tho) and it looks and plays awesome. Of course, all Bigsbys need a bit of tweaking.