I want to put two amps together in one enclosure.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bobbofallenstar, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

Hey. So I just got back from a short tour where I was using a Fender Blues Jr and a Fender Pro Jr - running a stereo rig.

Now, I know I could just keep running the two of those and be done with it but in my brain I think it would be awesome to have the two of them in one cabinet - 12" on one side and the 10" on the other and keep the stereo thing going, maybe angle the front a bit like one of those old Gibson Stereo Amps.

I don't know much about electricity type things - so I was just wondering if there was anything electrical I should know about putting the two of them in one cabinet. Are there ground things, should I make it so the 2 chassis don't touch?

2 amps.
    1 cabinet.
    2 power cords running out the back.

Thanks!

2. Milo

Milo Member

Sweet,would really like a pic later on. Sorry i cant help but it sounds cool.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

I would think sharing the same mains power wouldnt hurt. Keeping them separate, and maybe some airflow would be good. But I reckon it's doable.

4. windwalke9649

windwalke9649 Member

Keep the chassis from touching; do it with wood, just like you'd find in a humbucker. To be honest; it sounds like a whole lot of work for two pretty easy to move amps. Obviously, dont power them on any kind of daisy chain power supply, keep them isolated (dont need any ground loops).

A MUCH EASIER way to accomplish stereo, for effects is what i do now for quick gigs. I use my regular workhorse amp, and a seperate pedals sized EH 22 caliber (22 watts) power amp, with a MXR 10-band EQ, and a BiFet preamp pedal i built going into it, and it going into a seperate 1X12 cabinet (in your case it could go to one of the speakers in the cabinet).
    No, its not a tube amp; but for what im using it for, namely pretty much just so i can use my stereo effects; chorus, reverb, delay, etc. and not have to carry a second head or combo.
    You'll see reveiws of the pedals, and everyone says they're too dark. Well they're right, but they're also plugging right into it, and then into a speaker cabinet. It is just a power amp, so some form of preamp infront of it is needed to shape the tone. But it works great for me.

I would think having a 10" right next to a 12" would tend to get drowned out. I guess you could run a more efficiant 10" compared to the 12", but that's like 10 kids having a cookie, and one not, and instead of giving the one a cookie so its 'fair', you take them away from the other 10.

Speaking from experience, and not to be negative just realistic; sometimes these things look great in your mind, work out on paper, but when the rubber hits the road; they turn into cluster #&$%@. Map it out. They're not drawing huge amounts of power, and they shouldnt get too hot as long as theres some venting.

5. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Well, you could also check out one of the Gibson Super Goldtone amps. My recollection is that the GA-30 RVS 30-watt model had two 15-watt chassis side by side. The stereo reverb was just beautiful. One of them came in a combo with a 10" and a 12" speaker side by side. Might be worth a look.

=K

6. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Not sure how you intend on going about with that project. These are after all valve amps that require some space and cooling for the bottles. Probably it's going to be a heavy beast to lug around as well. But don't let me talk you out of it. :)

7. socalscott

socalscott Member

You'd have to avoid noise. That is the transformers affecting each other if not positioned well.

Amps in a head config and a cab with the baffle boards angled convex for example?

8. frotdob

frotdob Member

9. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

Those Little Walter's look sharp!

Yeah, I want to do it but it is starting to look like a pain in the ass.

10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I'd leave it alone. Who knows how they'll sound in the same box, and you'll never re-sell it.

11. MCK

MCK Member

Good advice. I'd look for something like the Little Walter instead.

12. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

Derek Springer of Union Jack Amps makes such an amp. It's a 2204 style head that sits atop a 212 Tweed style combo. You can run either independently, or split the 212s one per amp.

13. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

14. mockoman

mockoman Member

Someone here built a cab with 2 Pro Jrs. I did a search,but couldn't find it.

Maybe he will see this thread and jump in. He posted pics;it was pretty cool.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  15. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

You could use a Rivera TBR-1 stereo rack amp, and run two cabs out of it.

A lot less work I think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The lot less work solution is to run the 2 amps separate, as you now do.
    Prove this to yourself by putting them tight against one another and have your stereo effect disappear....not that stereo is all that effective ta a gig anyway due to spatial limitations such that you, the band, and the crowd cannot all be in the ideal location at the same time

17. rastaman

rastaman Member

Just get a road case made that can house the two amps.

18. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

I like this idea best!!