I want to run 2 monitors off my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by HugoTheCat, Jan 24, 2019.

1. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

I have 2 HDMI HP monitors which Id like to run at the same time with different things showing - maybe my email constantly on the left and MS Excel on right (or whatever I choose to run).

My Mac has 4 Thunderbolt outs. Anybody doing this? What type of adaptor is needed to show both monitors and be able to mouse between them?

:bong

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  2. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

Pretty sure you can just get a HDMI>mini display port cable or adapter and just plug it in. That’s what I did with my new iMac, except with a HDMI>usb-c adapter. Fired right up.

ckfoxtrot and HugoTheCat like this.
  3. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

At the same time ?

[​IMG]

4. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

Weekend to do: watch

PLX likes this.
  5. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I have a hub that has multiple usb and thunderbolt inputs. It goes to the wall for power and everything goes into the hub.

sundog964 and PLX like this.
  6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

At some point you need to check that the video card has dual monitor capability.
    Beyond that there are millions of folks doing what you want.

7. chikubi

chikubi Member

This, or the Apple equivalent x 2. Set everything up in Displays when connected, although you'll likely have to close the MacBook lid when it's all up and running as you may not have enough horsepower to run 3 displays at the same time. Depends on the displays and your MacBook's video hardware. If you have to close the lid, then you'll need a keyboard and mouse too, and then the MacBook becomes pretty much just a CPU at that point.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...rt-to-hdmi-adapter?fnode=8b&fs=fh=4595%2B3058

HugoTheCat likes this.
  8. ffoont

ffoont Member

I know that it doesn't answer your question, OP, but I have 2 extra monitors on my imac. It's glorious.

HugoTheCat and slybird like this.
  9. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

You need to get hdmi to mini-DP adapters, then you can get the dual monitor setup to work.
    For optimal performance, then consider getting a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter. It will give you wired interwebs.

I connect two monitors, USB hub, ethernet cable, and other odds and ends to my macbook pro.
    Apple's dual monitor setup is getting better.

HugoTheCat likes this.
  10. helrazr84

helrazr84 Member

^^ This. I had to unfortunately make 2 trips to Best Buy for the correct adaptor a few years back when I decided to run an external monitor from my MacBook Pro.

I use a dual monitor setup for work and do exactly the same thing you want- email on one side and my main programs on right screen. Perfect for bouncing back and forth. Duplicated the setup for home use with my MacBook but ended up just upgrading to a new iMac for home. 2 screens was like running stereo half stacks until I realized it wasn't really worth it..for me at least.