I want to side-by-side test two OD pedals. Please help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 777, Aug 1, 2006.

1. 777

777 Member

I want to compare a Bad Monkey to a Behringer OD 100, side by side.

Can I simply hook them up, one upsteam of the other in line and switch one off & the other on in order to A/B them? Would that affect the sound of the one that is downstream even if the upstream one was switched off?

Also, is there any tone loss from having them connected together by 10' of cable rather than one of those little connector adaptor things?
    Thanks guys,

Brad

2. gulliver

gulliver Member

Some pedals are effected by having a buffered pedal before them, but I don't think you'll notice any difference with these pedals.

If they were true bypass pedals, you might notice a loss of highs if the total length is over 20', but these buffered pedals will provide a fresh signal for that cable.

3. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

put them in a skreddy dual looper, one stomp toggles between the two independent loops, loop-master may also make one called the "clean/dirty" mod.

4. rewog

rewog Member

Yep, that's the best way to do it. ToneFactor also have one called an Eeyore.

5. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

IF you go to Harmony Central to the Amps forum there is a sticky thread about cool threads. One guy has about 10 of the top OD pedals ABed playing the exact same riff. Some he has are Maxom 808, DOD Malsteeem, modded tube screemer, OCD, Fulldrive etc. check it out.

6. 777

777 Member

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Keith, I looked in the amp section and didn't find that.

Thanks again,
    Brad

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I finally, recently bought a looper (not phase looping, but effects looping) and I gotta say, after 30+ years playing, and a good deal of it wondering or imagining tone loss, it is LONG overdue.

I put it off, but you guys that are at all concerned about this, there is NOTHING I can think of that can do as well to A/B setups or pedal than a looper. I just wish I'd done this sooner. It is SO nice to confirm or deny that any given pedal is sucking tone. Really, pedals I thought probably were, turned out were not.

It is also the best method I know of for deciding which of two (or three) are better...but that starts by usually by trying to get them both to sound as much the same as possible. Have to also consider if one of them has more variation than the other.

8. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

pm sent with a description of this:

[​IMG]

9. loofery

loofery Member

10. 777

777 Member

Fuzzdawg,
    I replied with a PM. Love that Aquateenz quote BTW.

loofery,
    I found that thread after I posted that. It wasn't posted with an obvious subject line, IMO, but I did stumble upon it. Very cool post indeed.

Thank you to both of you.

Brad