I want to try KT66's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nathan, May 15, 2005.

1. Nathan

Nathan Member

My amp is an Allen Tonesavor 80 watt BF Twin clone and the tubes just died. Now I'm considering KT66's just to have fun and play with something a bit different than the 6L6's that normally go in there. I have read about the crazy companies relabelling tubes left, right and center...

So: Sovtek is really Reflector (in Saratov, Russia)
    Saratov is really Reflektor
    Tung-Sol is really New Sensor is really Reflektor
    Svetlana's are now SED
    Mullard is really New Sensor (Reflektor?)

Then there's Chinese:
    Valve Arts is really Shugnuang
    GT is Shunguang

We got Genalex and Golden Lion copies everywhere. The prices are vastly different from what I find online.

All this to say that I'm confused and I don't know what to order! (All of the above except Mullard are making KT66's)

Please help a brother out! Which KT66's can I safely purchase and be floored by? Thanks

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

alotta folks like the Valve Arts (Chinese)

supposed to sound/react like Genelex

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What Riffmeister said.

4. ModTourMan

ModTourMan Member

The GT KT-66C sounds nice to my ears. The KT-66 has become my favorite power tube of late.

5. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

You can pretty much go two routes if you want KT-66's, you can go the Valve Arts / Shaguang route, or you can go the GT-KT66HP route. Groove Tubes KT-66C is actually the Shaguang but if you want that tube, buy it from Lord Valve because Groove Tubes matching SUCKS.

As far as the KT-66HP's, the only place you can get those is from Groove Tubes dealers. I've had sets of those KT-66hp's that were 14 ma apart...I sent them back, they sent me a set that were 7 ma apart.

My suggestions....call up Lord Valve or Mike and ask for some Shaguangs. Great tube, I got mine from Lord Valve and his matching is within 1 ma. I'm using them right now I'm my Cornell 45/50 Plexi...they sound fantastic. Lord Valve has a big supply of them, but I *Think* he said they are no longer being made.

6. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I have a slightly used set of Valve Arts KT66's. $45.00 shipped.

7. Nathan

Nathan Member

Is that a quad Chet?

8. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Just a pair.

9. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Well, this isn't a foresale ad so I'll just say you can get new ones from Lord Valve for $50 a pair.

10. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

These are like new with about 10 hours on them at low volume and the price includes shipping.

11. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Fair enough then, 10 hours really isn't anything.

12. Nathan

Nathan Member

Hey Derek -does that mea yo actually tried both the Groove Tubes HP and C? My tech has Gt's for sale but I don't know which ones yet. Can you fill me in on the differences? Thanks!

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

the GT-HP's put out more horsepower than the Chinese.

14. Nathan

Nathan Member

Does that translate to headroom or added gain? -And thanks to everyone for th ereplies!

15. Shea

Shea Member

Make sure they'll fit in the amp. It depends on how closely your Allen's layout follows Fender's layout. You definitely cannot fit four KT66s in a Fender Twin Reverb. You can squeeze two in there, but only if you don't mind one of them touching the power transformer.

Shea

16. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

The HP's are a groove tubes exclusive...they are a true KT-66, but tonally they are kind of middle of the road between a KT-66 and a 6L6....great sounding tube. C's are really Shaguangs, and they are a little more grindy...they sound fantastic. You can't go wrong with either. The trick is just trying to get a matched pair from Groove Tubes..it isn't always easy.

17. Nathan

Nathan Member

Well it looks like I should be able to fit them in, judging by the space between sockets. I'll know for sure on Saturday when the Allen goes in. It's my tech who's sellign the GT's, so he's going to make sure they're matched. I still don't know if they're the Chinese or HP. Either way I'm stoked.

18. ModTourMan

ModTourMan Member

I forget how spoiled I am. I have no worries with the Groove Tube KT66C's matching with my THD Univalve (single power tube). I was a bit upset that I had to buy a pair and couldn't find any singles for sale- that is untill I heard the tone of these tubes. Now I'm glad I have an extra one in reserve.