• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

i want to use a slide fader type switch for pickup selector..

Bo Faulkner

anybody done this? id like to do it on my les paul. i want to be able to fade into settings instead of switch. suggestions on part?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
also, unless that fader was an "M/N" type (not sure those are a thing) you'd get a whole bunch of tone loss; all your middle settings would sound like both pickups were turned way down.

Bo Faulkner

My Martin has the fishman ellipse system .. the volume and fader between mic and saddle are ideal as far as what it want .. don’t know about the specs on those .. the blend one has center detent as well

I assume the Fishman system is completely active & is using a battery-powered preamp.
That's notably different from a passive setup.

A slide would work for volume control, but why?
If you want it for position indication, you could accomplish the same with a knob with a indicator on it.

What I do with knobs on solid-shaft pots is put the set screw directly down in the full on or flat position.
That way when I roll it back a little I can see the set screw come into view & know just how far I've dialed it back.

Bo Faulkner

Honestly I want to be able to do with a fader what Tom Morello does with his switch when he does the dj scratch trick

Terry McInturff

40th Anniversary of guitar building!
Platinum Supporting Member
I looked into that a number of years ago.
The one and the only brand that is pro-enough for combat conditions on a guitar (IMO) is Penny & Giles.
It would have to be a 40mm. Even then it would be pretty large. If they make a ganged 500K or so, it would work.
The little ones we see used do work but IMO aren't tour quality for such a purpose. :(

STRATHOPOLOUS

anybody done this? id like to do it on my les paul. i want to be able to fade into settings instead of switch. suggestions on part?
You could use two linear sliders-with the same results as two volume controls; but as the man said, takes up a lot of real estate. The blender control could be used in this manner, but when one goes high, the other goes low. I think that simple is better, star-wars is too much like work. Now, I am monkeying around with Artec mods, blend controls; and putting together a bass/treble cut controls similar to what is on a Jazzmaster; only I am setting it up on two strats I built. We can only tryy….

Trending Topics