I was enjoying my ceviche at my fav Peruvian restaurant when this lady sitting next

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mikeratan00, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

One of those..............

84superchamp likes this.
  2. rolsen

rolsen Member

I visited a hole in the wall family run Mexican restaurant in Moab UT, the kind of place where the 16 yr old daughter speaks all the English in the place. Some douche was quizzing her on the gluten free options, asking about a kaleidoscope of substitutions and swap overs across the menu items. Wife and I were grumbling 'just order the ****** chicken enchilada already.' Turns out gluten wasn't a deal killer after all, so he's one of thooooose people.

I feel restaurant eating isn't a high stakes investment, ordering a custom amp type experience. Submit and surrender to what the place offers you and if you don't like it, don't go back! If the chicken is still pink in the middle that's a different story.

3. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Some people just can't pass up the opportunity for a good ol' evil power play.

4. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

Feel so lucky that we don't have any of them fancy ethnic restaurants here in Minnesota. When I go out to the Dairy Queen on a Saturday night, I know exactly what I am getting every time!

84superchamp likes this.
  5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Probably $65 too lol

"I'll have burger and fries please... ohhh and I want the ketchup layered on like fancy pantsy swirls!! Put a small dash of dijon on the side of the plate to look appropriate"

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

Waiter, to table of middle-aged ladies:

"Is anything all right here, ladies?"

JeffK and 84superchamp like this.
  7. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

The last few times something was wrong with food, I asked for the manager, but quietly, and told the server it wasn't to get anyne in trouble. On both occasions, it turned out there was a problem with a larger batch of core ingredient, and the manager wanted to comp us. We refused, but since we generally go to several excellent restaurants enough to be regulars, we get small comps and decent treatment, and are well rewarded for tipping in accordance with the excellent service.

I always view food screw-ups as a training opportunity, not as a natural disaster, and staff generally appreciate someone who is factual and understanding over hysterical and wanty.

I think it helps that we don't dig into dishes which are really oddly or badly seasoned or overly salty, since we can ask the manager to taste the untouched side of the dish and to bring it to cooking staff attention without having out our mitts and mouths all over it, and it's clear we're not just trying to get a free meal out of it.

Hallogallo likes this.
  8. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

I make ceviche pretty often and can't recall ever putting salt in it.

9. n9ne

n9ne Member

It's my understanding that Americans tend to cook with far more salt than the rest of the world, and it's gotten to the point that many palates have become more or less desensitized to what is actually ridiculously high salt content. We've come to expect it and even demand it.

But for non-Americans and people on low-sodium diets, it can be a challenge finding food that tastes the way normal food is supposed to taste.

My FIL was put on a low-sodium diet several years ago...and after just a few months of eating low salt, he and my MIL found it hard to find restaurants that don't load everything full of sodium. They stopped going to some of their favorite places and eating their favorite dishes because, as my MIL put it, "all we can taste is salt. They just put soooo much salt in everything."