I was VERY wrong about something.

The fact they have to have side jacks rather than top mounts means they take up pretty much the same amount of room on my board as a standard MXR-sized pedal...so that's always been a bit of a flaw, if you ask me. But that said - I own a couple of absolutely phenomenal mini-pedals; so they're not a dealbreaker for me.

dancehall

The fact they have to have side jacks rather than top mounts means they take up pretty much the same amount of room on my board as a standard MXR-sized pedal...so that's always been a bit of a flaw, if you ask me. But that said - I own a couple of absolutely phenomenal mini-pedals; so they're not a dealbreaker for me.
If you have the tiny flat patch cables from Ernie Ball or EBS, you'll be saving space for sure. But they are also shorter, which can help. I had a Boss tuner on my board oriented sideways, and a little gap next to it too small for any pedal. I replaced the tuner with a Polytune mini (which has a power jack on the side so it takes up even less room top to bottom) and voila, I had room for another mini pedal beside it. (Went for Mooer Black Secret).

douglaswarren

Silver Supporting Member
True. I’ve always used George L’s and found with mini pedals with side jacks, they be fit together like Tetris since the jacks aren’t usually in the same place. They don’t line up top to bottom but can fit more on a board that way

Ole Tin Ear

Mini pedals rule!
I've got a bunch of 'em on my board:

MXR Sugar Drive
MXR Timmy
Pigtronix Octava Micro
Pigtronix Disnortion Micro
Wampler Ego Mini Compressor
ISP Deci-Mate noise gate

Each of these beat out a full-sized pedal to make onto my board. They all sound excellent, are extremely quiet and meet my needs perfectly.
I've got several extra-large pedals such as: Origin Effects Revival Drive Custom, Keeley Synth-1, GigRig Wetter Box, EHX Tri-Parallel Mixer, Boss MD500 as well as a Peterson Strobostomp HD tuner, and the little guys make it possible to accommodate them by saving a ton of space.

Last edited:

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I am definitely pro-mini, so long as the tone is there.

Using EBS flat patch cables the space saving is real, and I don't go so crazy onstage that instability (due to their narrow width) is an issue.

I have and use some really great mini pedals: Ibanez Analog Chorus & Delay, Xotic SP Comp & SC Boost, Mr. Black Echo-Delay, EWS Little Fuzzy Drive...

And an MXR mini Timmy just arrived today! :D

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
I’ve never heard a mini I’d use.
Really?! Wow, which ones have you tried. I’ve found the following to be awesome sounding:
Keeley Red Dirt
Mooer Yellow Comp
MXR Phase 95
Mooer Ensemble King
Mooer Eleclady
Xotic EP Booster
MXR Timmy
Ibanez TS Mini
Ibanez Analog Delay
Mooer Black Secret
and probably others I’m forgetting.

Voodoo Soul Blues

Gold Supporting Member
And they are?

monty

I think they are great as long as you like the sound. Being mini, I dont have to choose between putting my Sugar drive and trem on the board, I can squeeze both on.

stargazer747

While I don't have any in use right now on my 3 boards other than the CNZ Sketch Series Noise Gate which is not on any of the boards (it sits next to the amp on top of the cab), I've had several I liked a lot in the past:

1- MXR Phase 95 Mini
2- MXR Dyna Comp Mini
3- TC Electronic Shaker Mini
4- Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone
5- Mooer Baby Water Chorus/Delay

Trending Topics