I wasn't loud enough!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imguitardan, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Cymbals and treble response are loud but that is probably due to the location/frequency response of the hand held camera. Guitar doesn't need to be louder in that mix. Your singer visually reminds me of a mix of Joe Cocker's movements and Zack Galifainakis

[​IMG]

2. losergeek

losergeek Member

If the amps are being mic'd then the front of house isn't your responsibility - set your stage volume and tell the soundguy everything else is up to him - it doesn't make sense that he'd have enough PA for vocals/drums/bass but not guitar - he's doing something wrong. It's a different case if you're so loud that you're blowing everything else off the stage, but saying you're too quiet is ridiculous.

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

That's an interesting thought.. so, if we can hear the guitar Ok from the mains and the cab is on a standback shooting upward, and the cymbal basher level from stage to the camcorder, the guitar was way hot anyway (most likely). We really have no clue on why sound dude wanted more amp. Maybe Sound dude wanted more bass?! told wrong guy to turn up... LOL.

5150gtrmonkey likes this.
  4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Bring a sound man with you to gigs, as in your own guy(or girl).Thats ok to do.

5. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Nice video. Looks like you guys are having fun. And, the guitar is certainly loud enough in the video.

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

That can be the worst...yesterday I used a high powered amp outdoors. The problem was a generator, if I would have known I would have brought a voltage regulator. I went from bright, to dark, to perfect, to too soft. Basically, it really sucked, luckily however the amp is fine.

7. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

+1

RRC

8. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

I loved the video first off. But yeah. To me the guitar was a little low in the mix. Bass was a little high. Your drummer's cymbal competes in the same frequencies as your guitar does. I'd have just brought the big amp and let the sound dude mix the band to you. But I'm obnoxious like that.

9. Tread

Tread Member

Looks to me like you guys just got old and ugly ... LOL ! Nice to know that I'm not alone .... You're playing with your heart in it .... Sounds Great ! Thats what it is all about ain't it !

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

OP: If you're judging your guitar sound and volume from the video you posted, you aren't getting the full or true picture, I think. It appears that the video was taken really close to the band. You may be hearing the on stage sound only, and NOTHING from the mains. You can't see the mains in the video so it stands to reason that the videographer was not getting sound from them. That would explain why the drums are so out front and nothing else is, even the vocals. I would recommend getting someone to video the band from further back. I think you would get a more true representation of the full sound that way.

IMO if you are getting a good guitar sound that sounds good to you on stage, and the soundman can't get you loud enough, you've done your job, you've gone the extra mile. He either has underpowered equipment or a bad ear, or both...

11. JBOTS

JBOTS Member

sounds fine to me.. but yeah its the stage mix i think.
    how is your band called i really like it!

12. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

:spit Their average age is 31...must be all the hookers and blow!

13. memiller

memiller Member

This thread is full of dip***** that haven't used a mixing board in their lives.

14. moredirt

moredirt Supporting Member

No comment on the mix, but love that you guys are having a good time and showing it, sounds like rock and roll to me, in other words, good. Put a smile on my face.

15. Structo

Structo Member

Sounds great to me!

The problem with a lot of outdoor gigs, especially if there are several bands scheduled to play, is not much time for a sound check.

That is were an experienced soundman can earn his beers.

Knowing his equipment and how to set the monitors.

When other members can't hear each other it can be real chore to keep it tight.

The other problem is if stage volume is too loud, it can hurt the FOH sound out front.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  16. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

Not the greatest mix - especially the drums. Guitar probably could have been a bit louder as well as the vocals. Band sounded good though!

17. moredirt

moredirt Supporting Member

Just listened to some of your other tunes. I don't keep up with music so assumed the first clip was a cover, awesome work on the songs, keep it up, really fun stuff!! I'd buy the CD in a heartbeat.

18. BobbyFudge

BobbyFudge Supporting Member

Not bad for an outdoor gig...plus you were having a blast. Great band.

19. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

My end-all solution is running a Radial SGI system between my pedalboard and amp. Basically it lets me run a mic cable from my pedalboard to amp, meaning I can run like 300 feet with no tone loss. No matter where I am, I run my amp in some back room and use the exact same settings. It sounds the same no matter where because I set it the same. FTR: I typically play churches that have back rooms designed for just this kind of thing. But still.

20. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Well enlighten us ! man I mean really.. Throw down a drive-by comment and leave us with nothing but an open ended insult. Come on mythbuster! lay it on us.

:hide