I wasn't loud enough!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imguitardan, Sep 16, 2012.

1. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Seems to be what the guy does. Until a few days ago, we hadn't heard from him in a year.

Ahh...the good ole days

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

LOL then this might be fun, eh? :D

You can tell I tire of comments like that. I was always taught be productive and help or shhhhh. :)

3. memiller

memiller Member

I've already mentioned a number of reasons a soundman would want you to turn up. Maybe he has no control over what gear he's using and needs more volume into the mic to make up for a ****** power amp. Maybe he's a guitarist and wants you to know you can crank it up. Maybe he actually knows what the **** he's doing.

Nah, can't be that. No soundman actually has a clue. They're like bass players, right?

You remember me and I have no clue who you are. One of us has made an impression. The other has apparently done nothing noteworthy.

Just like every other puss around here, tiptoeing around ever saying anything that might offend someone lest their toanz all go away. Please. You might be content to sit on your ass and let moronic **** pass you by, but I'm not. Oh well. Don't read my posts.

4. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

Do you need a hug?

5. BEMUSofNrthAmrca

BEMUSofNrthAmrca Senior Member

shoulda used a full stack. - my motto in life.

6. Hacksaw

So you really don't know either, Which is cool, we are all making suggestions and pulling on thoughts. we don't know. But I'll be damned if a Mic in front of a 22 watt amp (correction 35 watt amp) cant give enough signal to push a PA with a crap amp. Hell of a lot more than a vocal signal. Removed my last comment. Wasn't cool to say that he should include himself in his comment, and it was not productive! :)

I expected more from your bold statement.. We didn't get anything of value. I will pass on your posts. Thanks.. all the best to ya.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  7. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

Maybe...

Just maybe...

The sound guy was good enough to want to use your stage volume AS PART OF THE TOTAL SOUND.

That way, he doesn't have to make the vocals and other stuff sound like ass by pushing either the gain of his preamp or the power amp too hard, and making them distort. More PA power to the vocals, and less to your guitar signal makes for cleaner vocals.

The idea that the sound man should be responsible for each and every sound the audience hears is pure ********.

The idea that a guitarist can just bring any old 5 watt amp that makes him happy when he's within three feet of it, and say to the soundman "It's all up to you, since you have a big ol' PA" is also pure ********.

Sometimes you DO need a bigger amp.

8. Hacksaw

That's what we did years ago.. stage vol and PA working together. I remember them as the greatest days playing on stage for myself.

In the maybe department.. to expand :)
    Why not a 5 watt amp? Wouldn't that be the same as bringing an Axe FX and going direct in principle? Mic the 5 watt, throw it in the monitors and the big PA. yea? no? The reason I ask is because I have seen little tiny amps mic'ed on a stage. I didn't like the sound.. but I heard them. Personal preference on the sound.

Seems these days the sound man is responsible for every sound from the stage.

Please don't get me wrong,, I ran two 50 watters with 4x12s when outside. Power is where its at. But I have to conform to stage volumes these days which does piss me off. I do love my pant legs flappin.

Edit: After looking.. here is a small thread about guys using small amps on stage and a few of them using them outdoors.. just for insight, even though they are under 35 watts like the OP has mentioned he was using 35 watt with 2x12.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=644620

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  9. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I haven't read every post here but the band sounds good overall (the drummer is heavy on the cymbal) but the singer really needs to come up in the mix imo.

I can't really understand a sound guy asking for more guitar in that situation when he needed to find a way to get the vocals out there first.

The band sounds good and it looked like a strong, high energy show. :)

10. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

I'm just thinking of times where the sound guy doesn't have thousands of watts to use...instead of crowding the monitors and mains with guitar just to be able to simply hear them, he can let the PA carry vocals and other low level stuff, and let the guitar amps carry part of their own weight.

Remember that it's called sound reinforcement, and not sound creation. Vocals, drums, keyboards and other super low-level inputs need to be fully supported enough to be fully heard by the audience, but a 100 watt guitar amp can very easily carry a third of the total guitar sound the audience hears, even in fairly low volume situations..

11. Earplayer

Earplayer Member

honestly i canĀ“t imagine why the soundman would have a problem the guitar sits in the mix and you can hear it clearly in the video.

personally i think you had problems hear yourself on stage and asked the soundman what to do... and he just said turn up your amp as its your stage monitor.

for me the amp on an outdoor stage is there to "have something in the back" and for feedback control. on an outdoor gig you will need good monitors with a good amount of your guitar and the rest of the band - snare, bass, vocals.

12. Giga

Giga Member

This !

In this situation (or any gig situation actually) all the amps on the stage should be set to form a coherent total with the (acoustic) drums and the vocals from the monitors. Turning off the mains should leave you with more or less the same sound but lower in volume and with much less vocals.

Judging from TS's video they have that covered nicely. If the soundguy still isn't able to get the guitar loud enough in the mains that means something else is amiss (bad mic, bad cable, out of phase, bad channel on the board, badly adjusted gain on the board for instance)

Turning up amps so that they drown out the PA is a sure recipe for an extremely uneven sound when you move around in the crowd and on top of that forces you to run the monitors much louder than necessary causing bleed back into the FOH sound. Also very negative for overall "clearness" of the FOH sound.

Giga

5150gtrmonkey likes this.
  13. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

Don't know why it's so hard for many here to get this concept. It is a little different when you're playing a really big stage, especially when outside, but the general idea is for the FOH to simply amplify what's happening on the stage. Set volumes like there's no audience at all, like you would at practice. And if you don't use 2 4x12"s at practice, don't take em to the gig!

5150gtrmonkey likes this.
  14. BEMUSofNrthAmrca

BEMUSofNrthAmrca Senior Member

Very well said. This is the way sound guys work with heavy bands in medium sized venues.

15. moredirt

moredirt Supporting Member

Not on topic but I searched this out again for another listen and guaranteed smile on my face. Energy of this tune makes my day.

16. kbcarroll

kbcarroll Member

I'm gonna have to agree with last 2. Calling bullsh*t on 2 levels. You sounded fine. And if you didn't it is the sound guy's fault. End of story.

17. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Thanks so much! That was a reunion show (the band has been broken up for a year or two). You can hear/download the whole album here:
    http://bookmobileohio.tumblr.com/