I Watched The Quiet Riot Movie( Spoilers) ...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by NB_Terry, May 18, 2015.

1. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Well Now You're Here, There's No Way Back

I was never a fan of this band, but I watched the movie from beginning to end, so it couldn't have been that bad.

It is pretty much a rip-off of the Anvil movie IMO. Why is Frankie Banali working so hard to keep this thing alive? Even Carlos Cavazo would rather play in Ratt.

It was kind of a bizarre movie. They hardly talk about the early days, or big success days; Kevin has died 30 mins into the movie. The remaining 70 mins or so is the aftermath, getting people to join the band only to not be any good, or quit, etc..

QR had 3 charting tunes, and 2 of them were cover tunes. Frankie seems like a great guy, drummer and father, but I just kept thinking that he should just join Bad Company, Foreigner or one of the other more successful touring classic rock bands and let the QR thing fade away.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    MONSTER ZERO likes this.
  2. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I like Frankie, would like to see this movie.

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Where is this viewable?

GuitarGuy66 likes this.
  4. sws1

sws1 Member

I was entertained, but the movie feel very forced. Much like "fake, reality TV". After all, it was made by Frankie's girlfriend.

5. micycle

micycle Member

Man! I was kind of excited to see this. I still will though, it's my duty as a former 10-year-old headbanger when Metal Health came out. Still listen to that and Condition Critical a few times a year! I hope there's at least some cool pre-Metal Health footage?

It's kind of sad that they're still at it, especially without DuBrow.. those are some pretty loud and obnoxious (I mean that in a good way) shoes to fill.

I'm looking forward to the Twisted Sister documentary. That should be good!

6. DRS

DRS Member

Quiet Riot. They managed to pull off a couple of successful album by covering Slade songs. Certainly punched well above their weight for a while, didn't they? Problem is my friends and I had the Slade albums for a decade before QR so I assumed QR was some cover band. I don't know if I'd want to see a documentary about them. Anvil. The Story of Anvil was interesting because they (Lips, essentially) were so sad and pathetic. It was like a bipolar Spinal Tap. Some bleak, eastern European novel. Quiet Riot had their fifteen minutes of fame so their story, and given that the band has very little else to offer now, is not compelling.

7. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I saw it on Showtime last week...Sorry, I'm not sure if it's still airing.

I'm not sure, but if memory recalls the movie was supposed to be the Randy Rhoads documentary, but Dubrow wouldn't cooperate and it turned into a QR movie. I could be wrong, however. I found it interesting, but I was primarily interested in RR. Then I felt for Banali. I think he's just trying to carry on and make a living. Cavazo looks horrible, and he refused to participate in the movie. Rudy Sarzo is in it quite a bit, and I like him a lot.

Edit: Quiet Riot movie website shows it's coming out on DVD and iTunes.

8. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

It turns out that they aren't actually quiet.

9. sanrico

sanrico Member

So...since it's a documentary, does it being a "rip-off of the Anvil movie" mean that QR is a rip-off of Anvil's career? o_O

10. navin johnson

navin johnson Member

i thought they ditched kevin dubrow in japan at some point? just rolled and left him there? that's what i heard, anyhow

11. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I still want to see it :)

Quiet Riot got their record deal coincidentally after Randy Rhoads died.

(RR was a member of QR)

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  12. gennation

gennation Member

I don't remember which one is Frankie.

13. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

The early Quiet Riot used to rehearse at our rehearsal facility in Hollywood back in the late 70s. I didn't know them, I just remember the bass player was extraordinary player and had these long fuzzy sideburns, very good looking man-crush kind of guy - clean & sober as far as I knew & you could tell they were going to make it.

Frankie was one of the nicest people I ever met and in Hollywood that says a LOT. Back in those days, in that place, people would constantly stab you in the back or look for reasons to be offended, but Frankie was genuine and really liked everyone he met. I remember being a recording engineer on a session where he played and him asking me "are you a Goombah, too?" In that time & place, people didn't talk that way, but he was very cool about it. (this was during a session we were doing for someone else, Gary Myrick or someone).

So, I watched the movie. That is the real Frankie I remember - just very dedicated and single focused - but not calculating - always wanting to give a guy a break. The succession of singers is hilarious.

Frankie Bonelli = drummer

14. JonRock

JonRock Member

Of course its all subjective. I grew up on QR to a degree....never having heard of Slade. The only Slade I ever heard is whatever QR played lol.

QR has many many great songs IMO. I dont think the Slade songs are anywhere near their best stuff. If one judges a band only by how many radio hits they had then one isnt really a fan of hard rock bands

Franky Banali is a great drummer. Just this morning I emailed a drummer referring to a beat I wanted to hear and QR's "Condition Critical" was one of the songs I referenced.

Good Stuff

15. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Yes he was. I think Slick Black Cadillac was the only RR-era tune to make it to vinyl in the US.

16. Brooks

Brooks Member

agree. back in the day i saw QR and had their 1st album, it had a buncha good tunes on it (slick black cadilac, metal health, loves a bitch, thunderbird), all were better than the 2 slade covers. judging QR by the radio hits is like judging sabbath by paranoid & iron man.

17. Bankston

Bankston Member

We're booked to open for Frankie's QR in August. Can't blame a guy for wanting to keeping the band's legacy alive. Metal Health is THE album that opened the floodgates for the 80's L.A. glam metal scene and changed hard rock music for the next 6 years. It hit No. 1 on the album charts over Synchronicity, Thriller and Pyromania.

And I agree that Frankie is a great hard rock drummer.

18. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

I had their first three albums, but the music hasn't stood the test of time for me. Having said that, i'll still check out the film if i have the chance.

19. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

What I didn't like about the movie is that FB is a great drummer and he's wasting his talent and energy on QR. CC and RS aren't even interested in playing this stuff, and I think most bands should pack it in when they haven't had a hit in 20 plus years and their lead singer has passed on.

Frankie Banali would be great in a Black Country Communion type band.

20. Bankston

Bankston Member

I'm sure Frankie could be in high demand as a touring drummer with other acts if that's what he wanted to do. Rudy doesn't seem to have trouble landing tours with various acts. Carlos had a good run with Ratt. But there again, you're talking about bands that haven't had hits in 20+ years. Pro musicians go where the work is and I'm sure Rudy and Carlos can make more elsewhere.

If Frankie can get QR booked and that's the music he enjoys playing, then more power to him.