1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

I wish I could've kept all those guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by raja, Mar 1, 2012.

1. raja

raja Member

I've owned since I started playing 39 years ago...
    stupidity, financial and other issues separated me from some real cool axes that I used to own...howabout YOU?

2. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

Yeah, I have let a few good ones go, but have been lucky enough to hang on to some good ones too.

The '53 trapeze Goldtop is probably what I regret the most. At least I made some good $ on it. And, it had a headstock repair. I probaby should have kept it, renecked it, and converted it to wraptail.

I did keep the '56 LP Custom, which is amazing. And, I have others...

3. TStrat99

TStrat99 Member

I'm a freak. In over 20 years of playing guitar I've never sold or traded a guitar. I still have every guitar I've ever owned. I've given away, traded or sold many an amp and pedal though.

4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

I've probably sold 20 guitars in recent years and only had one case of seller's remorse, a 2009 PRS 513, but not anymore since I got a DGT.

5. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

I'm missing my '96 ThePaul 2, I accidentally kicked it away from the table and the head broke off
    Also a Fender Lead 1 and a '65 Gretsch 6161t amplifier. There's a cheap '62 sg-paul at the local GC, but I'm waiting for a Firebird now

6. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Same here. Over just the past 14 years of my 30 + years of playin' I've had a ton of great guitars.
    There are many I wish I didn't have to part with.
    Let's see:

'57 Gibson LP Junior(vintage)
    '74 Les Paul Sig hollowbody
    Anderson Cobra w/P90'
    '99 R7
    '02 R8
    '06 R0
    '07 R0
    '07 R0 Special
    '99 Anderson Hollow T Classic
    Suhr Classic(don't remember the year)
    '02 R8 DC Junior
    R4 done over by Historic Makeovers
    Santa Cruz OM
    Lowden S12 12string
    Vally Arts super strat
    K-Line Tele

Just to name a few.:(

7. MGBlues

MGBlues Member

The only guitar i'd love to get back would be my British Racing Green Squier that I had when I was at college over a decade ago. It was a poor guitar that I disliked for a while because it was all I had and all I could afford but... I've come to realise there are some great memories attached to that guitar and i'd love to have it back just for that. Never will though. :(

Other than that any guitars i've got rid of or other equipment have funded something better so... No regrests.

8. dunara

dunara Member

9. grill

grill Member

don't remind me! lol!

10. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I too have been playing close to 40 years but I honestly never thought or cared about resale value until about a decade ago. I regret more guitars that were offered to me that I did not buy for what today would be deemed insane prices. Then again I am happy with the guitars I have accumulated through the years, along with learning that patience is everything! I know more guys who still beat themselves up for rushing into a trade for the hottest new thing that wound up being a dog or selling in a desperate moment.

11. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

That's awesome man.

12. Mister Ed

Mister Ed Member

I let my wife's friend's husband borrow my Epi acoustic, then my wife and her friend had a falling out. Never saw it again. It was a good player.

13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

The ones I miss the most are two Heritage Semi-hollow guitars I had in the late 90s. Ugh... what was I thinking... (That said... I LOVE the acoustic I traded one of those for...)

14. Markorock37

Markorock37 Member

Miss my '57 strat. Didn't even know what I had at the time 20 years ago.

15. b2sc

b2sc Member

I've owned over 75 guitars since I started trading/buying when I got out of school in '90. I'm down to about 15 and still want to unload half of those. Some of the one's I've sold were nice vintage pieces; a '53 GT, a '61 LPC, a '57 Special. I don't regret selling any of them.

16. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

I think I'd be calling that guy, especially if it's been a while. Might be able to have a civilized convo with him...just sayin.

17. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

I had a Korean Epi Dot Deluxe that I sold when I wanted to buy a 12 string, if I remember right. Bad move on both decisions.

I sold it to my friend (we're in a band together) who upgraded the pups and hardware and added a Bigsby. It's hanging on his wall in his studio, and I can play it anytime I get the itch. Plus, he gave me the old pups, so I put one in the neck position of a tele knockoff. It's a little like the spirit of the Dot lives on.

18. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

78' Tele Custom.. about 6 1/2 lbs.. sounded great..big fat beefy neck. It needed a fret job so I let it go.. should have doled out some cash on the fret job and kept it.. Best Tele I ever owned and I've a had a bunch of em'.

Just pulled my 82' Tele of the emporium... Just to avoid some reget..lol

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  19. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Have owned 23 since 1985. Still have 7. Miss 6 that I sold or traded.

20. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

i ve sold/traded a few, including mcinturff, gibson nighthawk, ernie ball, prs...some others...but my two regrets are , way back, my first electric was a '72 tele...it was mint...i had it two weeks and didnt like the f-hole ( didnt think it was cool) so i sold it...and i had a beautiful travis bean that i sold, also a long time ago...however i did use those funds back then to buy a '64 strat which i still have...but, in hindsight, i could have found another way to raise the necessary cash