i wonder if Gibson was this controversial in the 1940s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Help!I'maRock!, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

the 1940s saw Gibson introduce the laminate archtop. while partly a cost cutting measure, it was an attempt to reduce feedback at the ever increasing volumes guitarists were playing at. laminate construction drastically changed the sound of the guitar. no longer would it really have much of an unplugged, acoustic voice. the guitar became a truly electric instrument.

given the controversial (and heated) talk on guitar forums regarding alternative materials and processes, regardless of how the company got to them, it seems like the same moment in time.

2. b2sc

b2sc Member

Yeah, but back then everyone bitched about it via their telegraph machines...

3. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

I'm guessing people didn't really know or understand the differences or were like "Hey! I can play my electric guitar louder without that annoying feedback! That's great!". People once upon a time weren't so cynical about new features.

4. patentcad

patentcad Member

I guess in the 1940's they didn't have TGP, just AOL.

5. dodona

dodona Member

was Gibson really the first to introduce the laminate archtop?

6. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

everything i've been reading about the laminate archtop recently says yes, but i could be wrong. Gibson certainly wasn't the first to use laminates though. those can be traced back at least to the 1830s in guitar making, if not further.

7. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

People in the 40's were looking to the future. Now we just look to the past.

8. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Yep, this hits nail on the head

9. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Several manufacturers introduced laminated electric archtops in the '30s. Vega actually advertized theirs as "non-crackable", though they also made this claim about some of their carved guitars as well.

10. patentcad

patentcad Member

Don't be pissing on tube amp technology and relic guitars, the fuel that sloshes around the high end guitar industry gas tank.

11. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Nope. At the very least, in terms of mass produced guitars, Stromberg-Voisinet (later Kay) started making archtops with laminate back and sides before 1925. They believed that the use of laminate was not only advanced but made the guitars stronger.

12. Faded

Faded Member

13. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

My uncle began playing in 43. He tells me that they were so glad to get plugged in at all that nothing else mattered much. Electrics were loud and that's what they were after.

14. Tycho

Tycho Member

I think people in the first half of the '40s had other things to think about. Even guitarists.

15. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Gibson wasn't really making guitars then either.

16. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

just like today, I bet there was an element that balked at laminated tops. Supposedly, the rank and file workers at Gibson were not happy about making Les Paul's. Blasmephy!

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

mostly war production at the time, not musical instruments.

18. cardamonfrost

cardamonfrost Member

Anyone who played a 175 probably wasnt complaining.

19. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

From 1942-45 Gibson was a wartime sub-contractor, they still made electrics and acoustics during these 3 years, last time I checked, the 1940's were 10 years long

20. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I think, as already mentioned, guitarists were sooooooo ready for the electric guitar that the change in technology was universally embraced...except for a purist minority that decried the coming electricness as the apocalypse (similar to how I might sound in a discussion of oak Martins!). Change will always be resisted by some.

It's worth pointing out that when Gibson was introducing their ES models, the carved, solid wood models were still selling strong (some with the "McCarty Finger-rest" p.u. attachment). In the early fifties, they also introduced electrified versions of the solid-wood L-5 and Super 400 to meet the purists half-way. Gibson has historically always maintained a "something for everyone" line of product.