I won't be buying an Eminence Speaker again...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fast ricky love, Jun 6, 2005.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I bought an Eminence Governor for my Bruno UG30 recently and loved it. Until I played it with my band and found at volume the speaker had cone cry.

I put the original G12H30 back in and it worked flawlessly. This was the second Governor speaker (out of 2 tried) that had this identical problem. Fortunately I was able to return the 2nd one, but I couldn't return the first, so I turned to Eminence.

I respected the fact that I couldn't return it, so I thought a fair deal would be to exchange it for another model. Nope. And the didn't want to 'fix' it either as they felt it would alter the tone of the speaker, and I wouldn't be happy with it. So essentially I am stuck with an inferior speaker. Eminence's attitude is there is nothing wrong with it (!!!) - and that I'd experience the same problem with any other speaker. When I told the rep that my G12H30 worked perfectly there was a pregnant pause and no meaningful responce. How's that for customer service? (And by the way, the speaker had the same problem in my BFDR).

I could say that I think Eminence sucks, but I'm still coming down from this, so I'll leave it at not buying their product again - and warning you folks out there as well. Do a search here and you'll see that this is a common complaint with their Red Coat line of speakers. Wish I'd researched their products more thoroughly... Buyer beware!

2. ROKY

ROKY Member

I've been reading about this, here, mostly ..

What I'm wondering: would a bit of Doping added help with this
    problem(when it occurs) ?

I know there are some who say they haven't experienced the
    cone cry.. I haven't either.

I have a pair of Red Fangs that I've been using for well over a year
    and a pair of Tonkers that I've had around 6 months, but are a
    bit older, as I bought them from a forum member, used.

Neither speakers exhibit any cone cry that I can discern, and I've
    been playing them hard and loud for months .

I guess I've gotten lucky ?

3. Marty

Marty Member

Hop on over to Ted Weber's BBS and put the question concerning fixing the cone cry on his speaker bbs. If it can be fixed he'll know how to do it ;)

www.webervst.com

-marty

4. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I was 99% convinced to buy a Governor but I got a bad feeling about the quality control after reading some posts here. I am glad I didn't bite. +1 on Weber and his doping.

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

For what it's worth, I had the same problem with Eminence Wizards. I sent them back in trade for greenbacks and the problem went away completely. I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but the cones on the Wizards were a lot thinner than my G12M's. All I know is, I learned a lesson about listening to forum hype over a product. My gut instinct told me to go with the Celestions to begin with.

-Rich:)

6. Vlad

Vlad Guest

I had the same problems with my Private Jacks, but now it went away...

7. fast ricky love

Thanks for the tips guys on the doping - but quite frankly why should I spend any $$$ to fix a problem Eminence should be dealing with??? Their name is mud in my book and why I ever walked away from the tried and proven Celestions is beyond me now... And the G12H30's sound excellent anyway, so I'm not gonna touch em.

Anyone want to buy this speaker from me? According to Eminence, it's in perfect working order! :rolleyes:

8. fast ricky love

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Same probelm with Gov, PJ, Tonker. Sold them all, except two PJ's that I'll keep for future reference. The up side is that they didn't cost a whole lot. They need to work some things out before I go to that well again. Even my Chinese G12M's sounded better overall, except for clean chording, which I kind of liked the PJ's a little better.

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Exactly!! Why the hell would someone want to fix a brand new speaker that works to spec!! I have only 1 Governor and LOVE IT but it has a bit of conecry.. Nothing compared to about 6 Webers I've had with it tho.. There's always posts on the board how to fix it, but then brand new Webers have conecry? So believe what you want guys.... I had 2 Celestions reconed (that worked perfectly ) before the recone and then when reconed by Webers they both have such bad conecry they're unusable and sit in my basement.. I just need to bring them to my friend to recone with a cele kit if I ever get time or money as his never have had it! Anyway, yep QC sucks, and people don't QC with actual guitars , and amps, so it does no good these days.. Doping .. .yea right... I have 80 other speakers here (between guitar and pa ) that have no cone cry , so why do all you guys think we need to now start doping brandnew speakers so they'll be useable !?!?!? No way...

ERIC

11. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

It wouldn't be the first time some manufacturing entity
    gave away some product and told the person on the
    receiving end to hype it real good....

...they keep getting free product...

...they keep hyping product...

...sheeple keep buying...

...the cycle continues.

keeps amp manufacturing cost low,
    customers can buy their own custom speakers
    if they don't like what came in them...it is called

ECONOMICS 101.

12. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Ricky,

I had that same exact problem with Webers and have never had it with GB's or G12H's.
    And I agree, who the hell wants to dope speakers, put em back, try again, then go throught the process over and over.

I am surpirised Eminence is being beotches.

13. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Rocking my Red Fang for a year now with no problems. YMMV.

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, if you're having problems with your Eminence speakers:

- What kind of wattage are you putting through them?

- Do you use OD pedals?

- Under what conditions do you hear the cone cry?

15. I'm just abot one the edge with my governer..... This is pretty depressing. I wonder if this whole thing was a sham... It seems really bright and overly pronounced low mids. I'm not liking it, i'm going to get an adapter and RAPE the speaker with a cd, just crank the bejesus out of it for about 3 hours. I'm so mad right now!

16. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

#1, who did you buy it from that wouldn't take care of it?
    Couldn't have been Eminence, they stand behind their products 100%.

#2, I haven't sent one Govenor back yet, and all are still doing great.

#3, Their is a growing list of artists using Govenor loaded cabs
    that have been on tour as far back as last year now with zero complaints.

If you don't like them thats your choice, but before you go posting comments all over the net speak to either Jody or Chris at Eminence and see what they say about taking care of their customers, and what they'll do for you. I have never dealt with any company past or present who cares about their customer more than Eminence. I will be sending them the link to this thread, so we'll see whats going on here.

17. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Think what you will, there are more Eminence speakers
    being used by guitar amplifier manufacturers than any other brand. Been this way for many years now.
    I went with them over the three other Co's due
    to cone cry and other strangeness that was so bad
    I wouldn't give them to an enemy I hated.

18. hasserl

hasserl Member

Hey FRL, care to post a link to the clip over here where we can reach it. I don't care to access the LP forum, but I would like to hear your clip.

I've had absolutely great success with a couple of Tonkers, they are outstanding speakers and not a hint of cone cry or any other weirdness. I've also gave the Governor and Red Fang some use and while I didn't like the RF at all, it wasn't cone cry that bothered me. Not with the Governor either. I'm not currently using the Govenor, but there is nothing wrong with it. It's a good speaker.

I'm thinking there's more to this story than your saying here. Do you have a beef with Eminence other than this Governor cone cry issue, and just trying to bust their ass in public?

Like Doug asked, who's your supplier? Why haven't they helped?

Post the link to the clip, let's hear it.

19. fast ricky love

Hey guys, believe me, this has NOTHING to do with some kind of gripe/beef/passive-aggression or anything of the sort!

I was quite happy with the speaker to begin with, like I said, until I played it LOUD (and not anything crazy either - Bruno UG30 with volume at noon, being pushed a bit with a SansAmp pedal), and I noticed the sound on a particular phrase (B string, 15th fret, bent a whole note to the 'E').

I purchased the speaker from Americanmusicial.com, they clearly say 'NO RETURNS' on their site for speakers, which I noted post-problem... Oh well. I figured tho' it had to be a one-off problem, so I bought the second one from Musiciansfriend.com, who does offer a return if the speaker is defective (I checked it AHEAD of time this time!)

Like I mentioned, I had the same IDENTICAL problem. I then put both speakers in my BFDR and had the SAME problem (without pedal btw, and the volume at 5.5).

So I returned the one to Musiciansfriend, (they were cool about it - eventually. It took a conversation with the manager). And NOTE: I truly am not here stir up anything out of some misdirected malace!!! - I was fine with the fact that I now had a defective item on my hands (what else do you call a speaker that doesn't sound musical?? - Is there somewhere I can attach a MP3 file here? If so, I'll include a clip that shows the cone cry). I wanted to support Eminence, made in the good 'ol US of A and all that. So I called them...

I was directed to a gentleman named Anthony. I left a message sometime last week. I got a call from him today. I explained my situation, and he then said there is NOTHING they can do for me because there is NOTHING wrong with the speaker - that it was my amp which probably was causing the problem and that it would happen with any other speaker. I explained the fact I had the G12H30 in there without issue. AND that I experienced the same problem in my BFDR - a ubiquitious amp no less, not some boooteek model! And had the same problem with 2 speakers AND then researched the situation and found it was somewhat common (do a search here, hey, there have been enough people that have had a similar problem here on this thread!!!)

Not wanting to make things uncomfortable for anyone, I suggested exchanging the speaker for another model (which at this point I DON'T really want, but figured I'd try a Cannibus Rex for the BFDR so at least I had some value for the $100 I spent). Sorry bud, can't help you out there. So now I'm a bit miffed - the rep then says I could technically send it in but I shouldn't bother because correcting the problem will result in something I won't be happy with tone-wise!!! So I can't exchange it, can't return it, can't get it fixed to my satisfaction, now I'm mad. Sorry, but what company operates like this and expects a customer - who was very happy initially - not to be pissed off?????

I mention this, and the rep says he'll talk to 'his supervisor' and call me back, but already states he doesn't expect the situation to change. Nice.

So now that I'm backed into a corner - I even went so far as to say I'll post the result of this conversation on the number of guitar forums I'm a member of because this is outrageous. His responce - sorry, we can't help you. I hung up.

So, sorry to correct you RA, but Eminence clearly doesn't stand behind their products 100% - at least not with the little guy. Maybe it's different for a large supplier like yourself?

Believe me - I'm not here to upset anyone. I posted this only to let others like me have rounded information on what they might expect - and it seems - I'm not alone here... I DO wish things had resulted differently, but I'm not just gonna accept this without some kind of recourse, which in all fairness - I gave Eminence a heads-up on. - Rich

20. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

In my experience, cone cry usually happens when playing with the amp's OD or pedal OD, using the neck pickup - woman tone - on the high B & E strings, usually around and above the 12th fret.

It is more likely to happen if you hold the note and let it sustain. It's also more likely when using just one speaker, as opposed to a 2-12 or 4-12, where the load is more distributed.

In all cases, I was using a 30W amp (4 x EL84s), with the volume around 12:00, so I wasn't cranking it over the top.

FWIW, I also got cone cry from a few Webers (50W) and my Red Fang does it on the high A on the E string, but I like the speaker, so I just try to avoid that, and it's not as bad as with the Wizard, which really surprised me.

I sent my Wizard to Eminence to check (my shipping cost) and they said it tested fine. They didn't actually play a guitar through it like I suggested - they just tested it with a scope/testing device. They tested another new one (it passed) and sent it to me to replace mine - it was worse. So I returned it to Dave at Avatar.

I'm not getting cone cry on my Fane AXA12, Harry Joyce/Scholz, Weber Alnico Californai 10", Two Rock 12-65, Ragin Cajun 10".