Ian A. Guitars new model the "Paramount"

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Ian Anderson, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

I'd like to introduce my new model the:​
    -Paramount-
    I mashed up my favorite things to create a guitar as If it was my own personal signature model. Before the internet I imagined stumbling into a pawn shop somewhere and finding an old undiscovered guitar like this. It never happened but lets pretend it did. I'll call it the second installment from the alternate reality series. The first ones being my '62 flying Vees.
    This one is called the Paramount after the old delta blues record label which was strangely located in Wisconsin. They originally made phonographs but in the teens through the 30s got into producing low cost jazz and blues "race" records. So I thought it a fitting name.
    SPECS:

• Korina body finished in 100% vintage tint amber nitrocellulose lacquer​
    • One piece hard maple neck with koa skunk stripe and plug in a vintage tine amber nitrocellulose lacquer​
    • Hand wound and tuned in house '50 Broadcaster lead pickup. A3 @ 9.5k​
    • Hand wound and tuned in house neck P90 with my fabricated nitrate bound tortoiseshell coil.​
    • Bound celluloid nitrate tortoiseshell pickguard. ​
    • Rutters hardware. Hand made locally here in San Diego​
    • Waverly tuners ​
    Tonally I wanted my early '50 tele tone with a bit more mids and character of tone associated with korina to give it even more depth and woody color from the korina and massive singing sustain. While still unmistakably tele it takes it to a different place. I wanted the neck position to have a great smoky yet articulate neck P-90 tone that will work for jump blues, rock and roll and have a flutey lead tone that can be used almost anywhere. With a quartersawn maple neck and the thick gauge quality Rutters hardware it has a supreme resonance and sustain. ​
    PICS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    VIDEO:

2. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

very cool, and the approx. weight please?

3. Ian Anderson

Hey Loni, I didn't weigh the finished guitar but the korina was pretty light. A comparison would be a light weight alder tele or a medium light ash one. It's a sub 4 lb body. I weighed the lumber at 2.2 lbs per bd ft.

4. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Nice Ian!

What's the story on the Flying V?

5. Ian Anderson

Thanks! I had some access to templates and blueprints pulled off an original '57/8 V then I came across the most amazing long grained uber light weight and dense Honduras but it was too narrow of a board for one of my Standards so it was one of those times where the materials pick what you build. I've been known to build stuff like this on the down low once in a while to keep it fresh.

6. Walsh Guitars

Walsh Guitars Member

Awesome Ian! So much respect for what you are making :)

7. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

PM sent