Ian Anderson Standard / Gustavsson Bluesmaster '59 discussion

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dczay, May 21, 2013.

1. KennethC

KennethC Member

Gotcha. Btw, Ian will do a belly cut on request.

2. openG

openG slidealicious Silver Supporting Member

I Love Tele's, but I'm not a fan of the arm rub, or playing with my elbow out to prevent that...Half of my Tele's have an arm cut and a belly cut, and they tend to get played alot more !

3. AD

AD Supporting Member

I've owned two JG's and one IA all of them goldtops. The first JG was the best sounding guitar with a fairly hefty neck carve. The IA was on par with the second JG tonewise (and closer to a LP tone) and both had a really nice neck carve.

4. artguy47

artguy47 Ol' CuRmUGeOn

Believe Ian is generally going for more of an LP tone, but since he winds his own pickups, you can have whatever flavor you want. (I'm going for more of a sweet LP tone for bluezy-jazz.)

Also, the IA is not a big guitar. Certainly nowhere near a 335. Personally, I found it quite comfortable, and well balanced, with as articulate and complex tone, as you could wish. The guitar felt definitely alive in my hands, and was incredibly resonate, both acoustically and plugged in. Something very rare for any of the large manufactures current offerings(Fender/Gibson/ PRS until you get to a $15k private stock).

By any measure, IA is an incredible guitar. Having not (yet!) played a JG, won't try to compare. However, some people whom I respect quite highly, on this board, rave about them. So I'm sure they are REALLY VERY SPECIAL GUITARS!

Whether it is worth over twice the cost of an IA, is a discussion you'd have to have with your bank account (and probably SO, if you are smart!:eek:).

All that being said, I'm holding out for a JG BM-S, someday soon (I hope!).

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  5. slippyknees

slippyknees Member

Well I guess it's cool that Gil Yaron is making guitars that look just like Les Pauls though. ?? His guitars seem to be the Gear Page flavor of the month (I'm sure they're great), but why doesn't he catch slack for making a Les Paul...."ripoff"?

I just chalk it up to people trying to make a living and not being super worried about if the "guy down the block" is making the same thing. I'm sure the argument will be made that Johan started it - my only come back to that is it doesn't look like either builder is hurting for business / hurting each other's business. Am I wrong (very well could be)?

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

Hamer Talladega,

7. slippyknees

slippyknees Member

That one came to mind. Good call!

8. Balzac

Balzac upright member

OP was curious about comparing IA and JG... this isn't the first time the relation between the 2 builders has come up.

Hi Eliot
    :beer

9. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

:ideaIt would be cool to do a "Special" shootout. Maybe some boxing and make up wine coolers afterwards. :D My pickguard is cooler, but mad props and respect to Mr. G for that incredible bridge.:beer

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  10. slippyknees

slippyknees Member

Hi Scott.
    I've read the other threads too. I just think the argument is silly on a lot of levels. Just curious why Johan gets defended so heavily around these parts. I actually love his guitars - the PBG Bluesmaster Special is one of my all time fave guitars. I've also had Andersons (as you know, Scott).

In all fairness, doesn't it seem Johan owes quite a bit to Leo and McCarty / Les Paul?? Ian's a great guy and makes great guitars. From what I understand, the same can be said about Johan.

11. slippyknees

slippyknees Member

Wow, Scott. Not even sure what to say but it's always great interacting w you. Enough w the fake politeness already.

12. slowerhand

slowerhand Member

Nothing obvious about it. If your contribution to guitar design is a hybrid of two popular guitars, can't really complain about others having the same idea. I'm not saying this as a value judgment, but it's really not an innovative design.

13. merman

merman Member

I bet they both make great versions but, I think Gretsch was the 1st with this particular style.. Circa 1977. Gretsch Roc II [​IMG]

14. slippyknees

slippyknees Member

15. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Guys if there's a copywrite or patent issue, let the builders sort it out.
    Quit starting flame wars, accusations and etc.

It ain't like a tele ish shape with 2 P90's is like a new idea or nothing.

(Jeff beck anyone)
    Knock off the BS.

16. oscar100

oscar100 Member

scott heatley will make you a LP to die for!

17. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

18. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Sounds awesome.
    Those other pics are killer. Man I would love to get my hands on that neck!

19. QuintaQuad

QuintaQuad Member

Exactly what makes it obvious? And as far as Ian trying to undercut the price, that's nonsense. The Bluesmaster was originally under $4000. It wasn't until the TGP gear pimps started pushing the JG that the price skyrocketed.

Strictly your opinion. Mine differs. Played both and own the IA. Wouldn't have bought the JG even if it was priced the same as the IA. I personally prefer the aesthetics of Ian's body and headstock shapes. Both are great sounding guitars.

Wrong again, Bucko. I spoke to Ian in 2010 about a non carved Special style guitar. He said eventually he planned on doing one once he cleared out some orders. Unless I'm mistaken 2010 predates 2011.

I don't want to give the impression that I dislike the Bluesmaster because they are obviously great guitars. For me it's a matter of personal preference for guitars at this level of quality. Your mileage varies apparently but I hate to see someone putting down a luthier of Ian's caliber in the manner you chose to do.

All the best...

20. slippyknees

slippyknees Member

don't forget wood was used also.