Ibanez 2680/2681 Professional Bob Weir

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Loobster, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Loobster

Loobster Member

Anyone played one? How are they? Worth $1500? Look like gorgeous instruments. How's the build quality on these mid/late 70s Ibanez?

2. Loobster

Loobster Member

[​IMG]

That guitar, btw ^

3. bigdeal

bigdeal Member

i had one when i was younger, wish i still had it. the build quality was very high, probably better than most gibsons of that era. i always loved the smooth heel where the neck sets into the body. it was definitely on the heavier side, and i remember the sound being very bright. i think the guitar may have been neck heavy on a strap, it's kind of a strange shape, but it's been years since i had it. they don't come up for sale all that often, i think only a few hundred were made.

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I had one that i put some long-magnet PAFs in and I'm really sorry i don't still have that guitar. Build quality was superb at a time when the US was trowelling poop. I see them come up used very occasionally, but always for a little more dough than I seem to have (a familiar story I'm sure).

5. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Yes. Outstanding. Yeah, they're worth it (condition dependent and make sure it's got original pickups, knobs, tuners). Build quality new was some of the best in the world then, and it still holds up. And it'll never depreciate.

Just don't go swapping out parts for whatever the current cool LP bits are, and in particular bridge bits; you'll seriously regret it. Original knobs for those things were running $45 each on eBay a couple of years ago. I think they make repros, though. The original pickups are amazing.

6. ricepr

ricepr Member

Great but heavy

7. RJLII

RJLII Member

I had one in the early '80s. It played nice but was somewhat heavy. Awesome upper fret access. The combination of Ash and Ebony made it pretty bright sounding. Played through an absolutely clean amp (think Fender Twin) it sounded pretty good. Any amount of distortion and it sounded lousy. The neck pickup was total mud. I had the brass block under the bridge replaced with a rosewood block to try and warm it up a bit but it didn't really help that much. I wound up trading it for a Peavey T-60.

8. chucke99

chucke99 Member

2681 = Tree of life (vine) on fretboard
    2680 = dot neck

Apart from that they are the same guitar. I owned a 2681 and loved it. I found it to be a bit neck heavy, though. Any year (1975 through 1979, approx) is good. Earlier ones have Super 70 pickups. Starting in '77 they had Super 80 (Flying Finger) pups. Different pups, but both superior.

Value-wise, a natural finish 2681 in stock, excellent condition is worth more than $1,500, and upwards of $2,500 if truly mint (with OHSC).

A 2680 natural finish is worth more in the $900-$1,100 range.

For either model, if you can find it in brown-burst, you can add a couple/few hundred dollars to the price.

Brown burst 2681:

[​IMG]

9. Loobster

Loobster Member

Thanks very much for the info. I prefer the natural colour. Bright guitars are ok in my book. Were the engraved pickups the Super 70 or Super 80?

10. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

11. Loobster

Loobster Member

Thanks. I'm in the UK :(