Ibanez 5 Series AKA Soundtank pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JosephZdyrski, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:39 PM.

1. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Who remembers these weird pedals from the 90’s...

The 60’s Fuzz was my first pedal so these hold a special place in my heart and I remember playing lots of them at the displays in the 90’s.

However I completely forgot how many interesting pedals there were in that line. Modern Fusion, Cyberdrive, Black Noise, Thrash Master, Slam Punk... lots of cool ones.

I’m actually thinking of ordering a cyberdrive as I remember that one sounding kind of unique.

Anyway anyone else have any stories and this series of pedals?

monty likes this.
  2. xian

xian Member

Still have the TM5 and really like it. I need to find a place for it on one of my boards.

JosephZdyrski likes this.
  3. monty

monty Member

Ah, the ladybug series. I remember them. Good sound, sketchy build.

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

5. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I distinctly remember getting some great sounds out of the Classic Metal (CM5?) in the store back around '92-'93. I wouldn't be surprised if it was (not so) distantly related to the Super Metal/Metal Screamer.

Not really bad-sounding units at all, just basically disposable builds. I think they were pre-SMD, so it might be possible (if you have the schematic) to figure out what's-what under the hood and rehouse it in a metal enclosure.

6. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Apparently these were around since like 89 or 90 which is longer than I thought.

And I hear some of the earliest ones had metal enclosures... not sure if they were fully metal or even any more robust at all. I’ve never seen a metal one in person.

That would actually be cool if something like that would be possible if one finds one that they like enough to make the effort worth it.

Luckily they’re cheap and the build quality will keep them cheap enough I think.

I remember my 60’s Fuzz eventually had some problems if I recall correctly.

Memories of these types of plastic housings is likely part of the why some are reluctant to try Behringer’s plastic pedals.

However Behringer seems to have succeeded in making their plastic pedals robust in all the right places.

Like real plastic tanks, but in the opposite way as the comment a few posts up lol.

7. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

i still have the tube screamer which sounds good, with a dodgy switch and planning to change the switch. is the switch an ordinary on-off type?

8. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

When the tone lock series came out my cousin bought the entire 5 series display from our local shop so I played nearly every pedal extensively, the tube screamer Sounds good but the 2 I still have are the power lead and black noise, wish I kept the echo machine

monty and JosephZdyrski like this.
  9. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

I've got the FZ and TS models! Both are built like trash but sound fantastic. I'm not a tube screamer guy so I love that the tube screamer I own is the jankiest one Ibanez ever made. Pretty sure I paid 25 bucks for it. The fuzz is a rehoused Distortion Sustainer which is like a big muff with mids I think. I don't use it but it's cool and cheap so I'll never get rid of it, nor the Tube Screamer.

the_rising and JukeBoxRat like this.
  10. Dandolin

Dandolin Member

The AW5 auto-wah is not an auto-wah--it's an envelope filter with a really nice synthy sound and feel....

JosephZdyrski and Jim Marciano like this.
  11. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

I had the TS5 in the late 1990s. I have no other recollection of it.

monty likes this.
  12. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

I did a TS808 mod on one,

socketed JRC4558D, and two resistors changed

sounded great

almost like my real TS808

dan5150 likes this.
  13. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I have a TS5. Sounds good but the switch is not good.

forgivenman likes this.
  14. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

The EM5 Echo Machine has become highly sought after in recent years. I've seen some go for up to 200$ on Reverb. All due to Doyle Bramhall and LA Sound Design using them...

Jim Marciano likes this.
  15. Riffa

Riffa Member

Yep. I’ve had the Echomachine for years now. I hate its switch, but it sure sounds great.

captaincoconut likes this.
  16. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

The CS-5 chorus is still on my board and has been for going on 15 years I think. It's a solid sounding unit. It doesn't do shimmer as well as some of the Boss units but it does as better faux leslie or phasing sounds than the CS-5 i have in a drawer somewhere. It's a utalitarian pedal, nothing fancy

17. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Would love to have a rehoused one

[​IMG]

18. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

The first and only actual Tube Screamer I've ever owned is a TS-5 I bought on sale for $35 in '96 or so. It became almost an always-on pedal for me. That's mostly because the switch was flaky and couldn't be switched during the songs very well. :) I liked it. A friend modded it a few years ago. That included fixing the switch. I still haul it out occasionally.

Hawkmoon269, monty and Big in Japan like this.
  19. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

There's a fix for that. IIRC, the problem is that it may switch on/off multiple times with one push. It's a coin toss as to which condition you end up with you when lift your foot. I think the fix involves putting a capacitor somewhere to slow the cycling.

20. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

That’s a little more than “rehoused”! Very cool.