Ibanez 99 series pedals PH99 phaser

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Igotsoul4u, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I haven't been able to find a lot of info on the 99 series pedals. I was thinking of picking up a phaser ph99 but I don't know if it is a tone sucker. I assume it's not true bypass. Is it a cool sleeper pedal? I don't think I have ever found so little info on a pedal.

2. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

3. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I've owned them all. Great pedals, with a few little quarks....

The chorus made a ticking sound (with the clock speed), but the actual effect was very nice sounding

The jacks are in a weird spot (input on the left and output on the right).
    The delay was ok... kinda short and metallic sounding though

The phaser was really good.

The Flanger was amazing... The standout of the bunch IMO.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  4. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

nice. Is it big? Durable housing?

5. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I am using the AD99 as my main delay right now. No clicking noise on mine. And for whatever reason it sits better in a mix than alot of other delay pedals I've tried. It has the MN3205 chip in it and sounds identical to a DM-2 I put it up against back in the day (with the same chip, of course).

Both the Rotary Chorus and Flanger sound great. I'd kill to find a good deal on the FL99.

I also have the very first version of the Tube King that I got at the same time I picked up the AD99. It's flat out awesome too.

6. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

I had one years ago. The enclosure is huge, especially if you compare it to modern mini pedals. The enclosure is all metal though and should be very durable. I thought the phaser sounds were very good. In the end I sold it though because it was too big and there are other good phaser pedals with a much smaller footprint.

7. papersun

papersun Member

it's massive. between that and the reversed in/out jacks, I ditched my AD99 before too long.

8. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I keep going back/forth as far as whether to keep my FL99.
    It's big and would be worth a bit if I sold it for something else, but it's one of those pedals that I know I'll regret selling, so I hold on to it.

Wish Ibanez would do something NEW with regards to modulation (Boss too!); reissuing the CS9 and FL9 was ok, but Maxon had already done that, and did it better (albeit for much higher pricing).

9. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

The FL99 Classic Flange and RC99 Rotary Chorus were my favorites from those, and those are the only two I still own. Never cared for the Phaser.