Ibanez AD-80 Question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Greenbacker, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

So I've owned a few of these, some which oscillate VERY early and others that oscillate much later. I now have one of these that oscillates later and not quite as heavily maybe. Does anybody know the actual physical difference between the two and why this happens. The date seems to have little bearing on this as I've owned two from '81 that act totally different...

There are internal trimpots, will adjusting them get me back in oscillating heaven? What needs to be done/changed?

Thanks!

2. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

While I haven't done much digging inside that circuit, I can tell you that the one I have is very touchy re. oscillation, and at least one of those trimpots governs the bias voltage to the clock chip- I wouldn't mess with it, there's nowhere I know of to send it for repair if one of the BBDs fries.

3. Teahead

Teahead Member

I agree with wgs, tweaking is not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing. I'd suggest sending it to Howard Davis or Analog Man for a service, stating your preference for oscillation and leave it to the experts.

4. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

Dang! Alright, well if anybody does know the circuit inside-and-out, please message me! I'll contact AM in the meantime... Thanks guys!

5. burner

burner Member

IIRC, there are four trimpots inside and they are labled.
    Obviously you don't want to touch the one marked "bias" unless you know what you are doing.
    One of them affects delay time....no reason not to turn it all the wway up for longer delay time
    I believe the others are "repeat" and "mix" or something similar.
    Try tweaking the repeat trimpot maybe.
    There's nothing you can really mess up with those, because all it does is affect the max number of repeats I believe.

I love the AD-80, it's a great sounding delay!

6. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

Just got home. You are right Burner. They are all labeled but there's 5 trimpots: BAL., LEVEL, CLOCK, BIAS, REPEAT

Jeez. Well, obviously I will not touch CLOCK or BIAS. I would assume the others are safe though?!