Ibanez AD-80?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markom89, Apr 5, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Any of you on here using the famed Ibanez AD-80 delay?

I've wanted one for the longest time and finally scored one on e-bay and will have it soon... I think they just sound amazing. It wasn't cheap (around $300), but I think it's worth it.

How do you guys use them? What for? Got any clips?

Oh, and how do you like it compared to other delays you've tried?

I'm psyched.

Cheers,

Marko M.

2. cheesey

cheesey Member

i liked my dm 2 better , i now only have an ad 999.

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Interesting, lots of people seem to prefer the AD-80's over the DM-2's, based on what I've read.

Anyone else?

4. Teahead

Teahead Member

You know I love the Ibanez AD-80, EXP picked one up a while back and I've read of several others here using them too. Mine hasn't seen much use since I added the Timefactor to the board, which isn't to say the TF can do what the AD-80 does, because it can't. It's just that I'm expanding my use of delay way beyond what the AD-80 can offer. Still, it's the best sounding delay I've ever heard.

5. duende

duende Member

AD-80 and DM-2 are two very different beasts. DM-2 is softer with a very pleasant and slurry feedback. AD-80 (18V) is much more punchy like a tape echo but doesn't feedback quite as nicely as the DM-2. Runs away very quickly into self-oscillation. Personally, I also think the AD-80 is better at preserving your original guit tone too.

6. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

The AD80 is great, it's slightly clearer than the DM-2 which is a bit smudgier. I agree with the tape echo commment.

Im sure you will love it as its a classic, the only negatives are it needs 2 9v batteries and the switches on that series of ibanez pedals can fail.

7. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

AD-80 is the closest I've heard to my echoplex. I had to sell mine recently and miss it very very much. :( I've compared it to a DM-3, Echoplex EP-3, Carbon Copy, WEM Copicat, DD-20, DD-6, DD-5, DD-3, Ibanez DML-10, Effectron II, and some I've forgotten. The AD-80 is the best.

8. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I love my AD-80! I talked to Mike this week about the 0-50% wet option and he can do the mod. For those who are wondering about the wet option, the AD-80's came with two factory Blend pots(one overly sensitive 0-100% wet and the other more subtle 0-50%) The AD-80 has alot sounds in one tiny little pink box - I can set it for tape, ambient reverb, slapback,etc. Mine tends to go into self osciliation early past noon so I usually keep the repeats at 8:30-10:00. I can safely say the 18V AD-80 is the closest delay pedal I have tried to my EP3 Echoplex. After doing a A/B comparision I couldnt tell that much of a difference to keep both. Plus the AD-80 actually fits on my board.:D

9. Teahead

Teahead Member

Man, I'm so glad to read that pedal is serving you well! Also that Mike can hook you up with the tweaks. I've always coveted tape units, never owned or even heard one and wondered if being satisfied with the AD-80 was settling for some kind of second best. Great to hear guys with the experience under their belt praise the AD-80 as much as I do.

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Very cool, guys!
    Question: Would it in any way be possible to get either an expression pedal out to control either delay time or feedback (or both), and also, would it be possible to have it modified so that you plug in two 9v outs, instead of an 18v? Might sound silly, but 18v adaptors are fairly hard to come by...

Oh, and also... is it possible to make the pedal stereo in any way?

I've played one before, and really, REALLY dug the sounds (@ 30th st. guitars in NYC), but it was $450 there :messedup
    I'd like to get another one down the road.

11. Teahead

Teahead Member

Woah there, I'm sure almost anything is possible in terms of tweaks, but you'd almost certainly need a rehouse to realise most of those needs. Try to get a nice feel for the pedal first. For instance, the time and repeat knobs are very conveniently located for adjustments with the side of your foot, with some practice expression pedal control might not be needed.

Also, it will run exactly the same on a 15v supply as an 18v, just make sure it's positive tip 1/8 inch or 2.5mm. PP2s and Flatliners are useful for AD-80s.

12. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

How about the original (not reissue) Maxon version?

[​IMG]

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

yeah, I read a few times that maxon is the one who should be credited for the invention of the AD-80, though it seems everyone credits Ibanez, and everyone wants one of the Ibanez. I guess that one's really rare.

Is there a difference between the TS-808 sized Ibanez or Maxon? Is it just the "badge"?

14. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I had the good sense to hold onto my AD80 from the old days. I had no idea they would fetch 300 clams tho! Last time I checked they were getting 180ish. Mine has been in my closet for years. Eats batteries, sounds great as I remember. I've heard its second only to the Aqua Puss for a pedal delay.

No it ain't for sale.

15. burner

burner Member

Interestingly I posted a clean AD80 for sale on here and I couldn't give it away......ended up on ebay.
    Very nice delays.

16. marmelade sky

marmelade sky Member

get in touch with ANALOGMAN, he performs these mods on AD-80 to connect expression pedals. everythin's explained on his website, he did these mods on my maxon ad-9 reissue , great...

by the way ,I had the Ibanez AD-80 in the past and miss it a bit today .
    the maxon took it's place, but it doesn't get quite as wild as the old one at oscillating.

17. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

I had two ad-80's, picked them up cheap last fall. I didn't see what the big deal was. I mean, it's a cool delay, but $250+? No way. My FX-90 DOD does everything the AD-80 did but only cost me $60. I guess some people would say there's a difference in the sound quality, but to my ears that difference was just that the AD-80 had a harsher, punchier sound and was almost impossible to control when it oscillated. Personally, I think the current wave of digital delays makes a lot of the really expensive analog ones seem like a poor value.

18. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

I have an old Maxon AD-80, nice pedal. If you want a short simple delay it's a very good choice. Mine's one of the flat boxes, not the ramped style but I'm sure the circuits are the same.

As Teahead said you have to watch out for the polarity of the power supply .. I actually think some are positive tip, some negative. I've only ever run it on batteries but I was thinking it might work well with something similar to one of those 9V to 18V cables that Diamond sell for the Memory Lane.

One other thing with mine, the buffer is very noticeable. It's not ridiculously tone-sucking, in fact I quite like the sound of it, but you can definitely hear (and feel) a difference with it in line.

Oh, and the oscillation is fantastic. :)

[​IMG]

19. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

What years are those old maxon's from? pre '79?

20. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Not sure, I always thought they were early 80s or so .. Disco Freq's site might tell you.