ibanez AD202 - tweak the delay time mod...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sf audio, Mar 29, 2008.

1. sf audio

sf audio Member

Just picked up one of these - very nice unit. Only beef is the max 400ms delay time. . I'd like a little more. I've heard that these can be modded to increase the delay times...any know how to do this?
    thanks

2. duende

duende Member

you can increase the delay time, but only at the compromise in fidelity.

The Ad202 is such a killer box... I'd leave it stock, and get another delay for longer delay times.

3. sf audio

sf audio Member

thanks - how is this done specifically?

4. ROKY

ROKY Member

There are trimpots inside that control a number of functions, one of them
    being delay time.

I maxed mine out and seem to be getting around 600ms, now; which is
    pretty good, I think...

5. sf audio

sf audio Member

Do you notice a decrease in fidelity? Still sound OK after tweaking?

thanks

6. zerocharisma

zerocharisma Supporting Member

Just wanted to bump this old thread up to see if anyone has info on how to increase the delay time on these AD202 units? Someone mentioned above that they were able to milk their unit for up to 600 ms which would probably be the max I'd need. What mod would be involved and is there any compromise as far as the fidelity is concerned? Any info would be much appreciated!

7. jumunius

jumunius Member

As someone else said you can adjust a trimpot -- marked VR114 -- on the circuit board. Check out the Service Manual for more details.

For what it's worth, when I tried this myself I felt like there was something odd about the sound quality at the longer delay settings, so I reverted to spec. Maybe I was imagining it, I don't know, it's been a while.

8. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

Some of those trim pots were set by technicians using an oscilloscope. You mess with them, you may never get it working right again. Just use something else for the longer delays.

9. nightraven

nightraven Senior Member

don't mess with it. lots of the AD202's around have been ****ed with by people looking to get more delay time and need to be properly recalibrated. the beauty of this unit is how the repeats all melt together - you don't need long delay time :)