Ibanez AD80 - does anything compare?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by judsonabts, Sep 30, 2008.

1. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

I love my old Ibanez AD80 Delay but I want true bypass and was wondering if anything out there is similar in style and sound quality?

thanks!
    judson

2. Brad J

Brad J Member

The closest I've found and been happy with for the last 6 months is the Malekko e600B.

If you can't bear to part with it, and you have the space, how about a true bypass looper?

3. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

did you have an ad80?

i have all true bypass effects, so it seems silly to get a looper...

i also REALLY want more than the 300ms available on the ad80

4. Brad J

Brad J Member

I've had 2 AD-80's at one stage, still have one.

I'd definitely check out the Malekko, It has the same warmth and lo-fi decay, if you spend some time with it you can dial it in to sound exactly like the AD80,
    and it's all analog 600ms.

5. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

the E600Dark would be better since AD-80's are dark.

6. Brad J

Brad J Member

I really think the Malekko Bright/dark thing is a misnomer, The AD-80 isn't that dark, both of mine added presence to the signal if anything.

I don't find the e600 bright or to add anything different to the tone than the AD80 does.

7. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Not exactly the same, but the AD9 is a great pedal with a similar vibe.

8. hacker

hacker Member

what about the maxon ad80? discontinued, I know, but common on the bay

9. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

i'm thinking when it came down to the empress super delay and the memory lane 2 - i made a mistake going with the empress...

i love the empress, and it really does amazing things, but i wanted something to replace my roland space echo and ibanez ad80, but not provide much more beyond that...

10. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

the AD-80 is still darker than a DM-2,AD-9 & DD's just like the E600's are both different,so misnomer :NUTS,no.

11. seiko

seiko Member

The closest I ever heard was an original issue Memory Man (now I think about it likely that Ibanez/Maxon might have had a cheeky look at the MM circuit when designing the AD80), won't help with the true bypass though.

If I may though, if you like the pedal why worry about true bypass? I don't recall the Ibanez AD80 changing the tone in any particular way shape or form.

12. duende

duende Member

Judson,

If the AD-80 is the only pedal in your chain without TB, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm in the same boat. All my peds are true-bypass, and I wish the AD-80 was too... But with that said, as far as buffered pedals go... the ad-80 is among the least harmful. So it's the only pedal in my chain that is not TB.

13. Brad J

Brad J Member

The DM-2 is the darkest delay I've played, far darker than the AD-80, AD-9 would be about on par.

No kidding, bright and dark is different? Thanks for the update! :rolleyes:

Judsonabts, the only reason I went to the Malekko was for the external regen control, other than that the AD80 really doesnt do anything to your tone, the early Ibanez pedals had decent buffers on board.