Ibanez AD9 mods?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ozro4, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

I recently got an AD9, and I REALLY like the sound of it. However, for me it's not good for anything but a quick slapback delay (or setting it on infinite repeats and changing the delay time like Mute Math does...but that's not for me).

Anyway, what I was wondering is - is there a way I can get it to have a longer delay time? I would really like to be able to do more with such a warm sounding delay. I know Keeley mods the hell out of it, but I'm not sure if he changes the time.

Any help?

2. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

I'm not sure but I would think that changing the time pot to a larger value would do it. It does on the BYOC delay, too big and it gets fuzzy at the largest value.

3. stuey222

stuey222 Member

Not really...the circuit is only designed to handle so much. I own one two, and it does everything I need it to do, cranking the time knob gives me plenty of time for all of my music.

If you want the sound of the AD-9 but bit longer delay time, you could get a Deluxe Memory Man, or a Maxon AD-9, the DMM gives 550ms and the Maxon gives 600ms or 900ms I believe. If you're wanting longer delays than than, you'll have to go digital.

4. burner

burner Member

Did you look inside to see if there was an internal trimpot?
    IIRC the AD-9 has one that will allow you to adjust for a tad longer delay....unless it's already maxed.

I might be thinking of another delay but I believe it's the AD-9
    Won't hurt to try it and see....

5. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

Thanks guys. I opened it up just to see what I would see. And let me tell you - it was the most intimidating circuit board I've ever seen - probably over 100 components (ok, maybe less than that).

Anyway, it turned out there were 5 trim pots inside and I messed with them until I found the right one. It was a great success.

If anyone can figure out what the other trim pots do - that would be great too.

6. cestlamort

cestlamort Member

just remember to always mark the original settings for the trim pots. Nothing worse than fouling one up. If you've found the right trimpot and are happy with the sound, I'd leave it. (others would be: blend? depth? ???)

It might be worth tracking down the ad202 (rack) if you like the ad9. Similar (cleaner!) and a bit longer delay.

I'm maybe in the minority, but the DMM (I've had a couple) is a different sort of delay than the ibanez ones. It seems to have a longer attack and isn't quite as warm. (eh isn't the most consistent manufacturer, either).

If you are okay with shorter settings, try out an ad80 at some point. My absolute favorite delay, even if really short.