Ibanez AD9?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TX6Strings, Jun 7, 2008.

1. TX6Strings

TX6Strings Member

So I just got back from the local GC and they didn't have a DD-7 in stock and as I stood there they sold their last Carbon Copy. I don't have room on my board for the DD-20 so I went with AD9. I just got done trying it out and I'm really not sure this pedal is for me.

What's the general consense on this pedal?

Thanks

Brad

2. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I love mine for shorter delay and ambiance. I use one on my grab-n-go because batteries last quite awhile in it, plus it sounds great too.

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I bought a new one not long ago. I thought it was good for that "always on" slightly behind the music ambience.

One thing that seemed to help is to extend the "feedback" range. You can do this by opening the battery compartment and adjusting the screw you'll see facing you. (there's 2, I forget which one)
    I think you'll want the pedal to go into oscillation only if you have the f. back knob pegged. My pedal from the factory would not do this. I liked it a whole lot better after that, simply because I could get more range of feedback, not just spaceship noise!

4. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

I just aquired one as a backup to my crusty old Arion SAD-1. It's great as a nice ambient reverberation effect for those David Gilmour style leads. Still, the AD9 is too clean sounding for my liking. For 350 millisecond delay the old Arion is magical - richer than tape delay, but i can almost get there with the Ibanez.

5. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

I think it sounds good but the delay times are too short for me.

6. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

I like the maxon ad9 much more. the ibanez had a bit of a harsh feel to me. The ad9 is warm, but doesnt get as muddy as my old dm2

7. TX6Strings

TX6Strings Member

Thanks for the feedback guys!

It does do a decent ambient reverberation effect, which is what I needed a second delay for (I have the repeats covered with my DD-6) but even that's a little thin for me. The timing is way too short to do much else, but for the money I think I'm going to have to take it back and wait for the DD-7 or Carbon Copy.

Maybe I'm just a digital delay guy...which we all know is sacralige since analog is the best and can not be argued with lol

8. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

True on all counts. However, if you have $700 the Moog Moogerfooger MF-104Z Analog Delay is absolute king. Over one full second of pure analog delay with so much control it's ridiculous.

9. pbone

pbone Member

Yeah, no kidding. I have one, best pedal evur. Really, it's better than my timefactor.

10. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

I like mine quite a bit. Yeah, it wouldn't be my first choice if money were no object, but it is, and the AD-9 was available at my local shop and I like to give those guys business as much as I can.

Sound-wise, it's got a nice, warm tone, and I only use it for a few short delays as my (almost) always-on, groovy ambient sound pedal. I know the Maxon is supposedly better, as is the Keeley mod, but for a decent price, it gets the job done.

I did have a problem with the puny little dim LED, though, in that with any stage lighting at all I had a real tough time figuring out if it was on or not. A quick trip to RadShack and a few minutes later, it was loaded with a much brighter, beautiful white LED, and now I'm happy.

11. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Those Moogs are sooo tempting. Cornish and DAM pedals too. Bjf's and landys are the level im at now, price wise. I dont know why I wait so long before I go up the price ladder.

I have a Analogman AR20dlxl and a Cmatmods Deelay for sale on the emporium..... im jus saying ;-)