Ibanez AD9

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mmorse, Aug 29, 2005.

1. mmorse

mmorse Member

I recently picked up an old Ibanez AD9. It works great through the loop of my 2550 Marshall Jubilee. It's always on and I use just a touch of slapback delay to fill things out a bit. Nice analog delay. However, it doesn't sound very good when going through the front end of my 50 watt Marshall MV head. It has some strange artifacts when the head is setup for alot of gain.

What delays, if any, would work running through the front of a cranked Marshall? Also, the battery cover latch has broken off on my AD9. I tried fixing it but it didn't work. Anybody know where I could pick up another battery cover?

thanks

2. dosmun

dosmun Member

Delay just doesn't sound good in front of a dirty amp. As far as the battery cover any Ibanez dealerl should be able to get you one.

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

keeping reverb to a minimum and NOT using delay in front of nor thru the loop of a dirty amp is what I do personally. all i put in front my amp is a flanger.

4. mmorse

mmorse Member

So what would you use to fill out the sound of a dirty amp? Not much, just enough to fatten it up a little.

5. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I prefer digital delay into a overdriven tube amp. No mud. I use the DLS Echo Tap and also the Boss DD-3 and Guyatone MD-3. The Guyatone adds no color to your tone. The DLS and Boss will color your tone but it would be a preference call among them. I don't care for analog delay with a dirty amp. Muddy sounding to me.

6. mmorse

mmorse Member

I've looked all over for a place where I can get a battery cover for My AD9. So far no luck. Can't even find it on the Ibanez site. Anybody know where I might find it on the internet?

7. basscracker

basscracker Guest

ebay search MAXON instead of ibanez.i see them all the time.

8. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

when you run a delay into the front end of a dirty amp your distorting the delay. think about it, everything your run into the amp will be dirty - your guitar signal and the delay.

when you run it into a loop your going distortion into the delay then into a clean power section. works much better for delay, chorus and any time based effects.

9. mmorse

mmorse Member

I understand the logic. The delay still doesn't sound as good as it does with a clean signal through a loop but it sounds much better than running through the front. I guess running a delay into a distorted preamp is worse than running a distorted preamp into a delay. Either way, the signal will be fed into an overdriven power amp section. So it follows that delaying a distorted pre amp signal is better than distorting a delayed signal.