• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Ibanez AG75 vs Epiphone ES-175

tjmicsak

Ibanez AG75 VS Epiphone ES-175 reissue.
The Epi costs more but comes with gibson pickups
Build quiality issues?
Better Tone?
Lasting Value?
I have read where the Epi with '57s put in is comperable to the Gibby.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
Ibanez AG75 VS Epiphone ES-175 reissue.
The Epi costs more but comes with gibson pickups
Build quiality issues?
Better Tone?
Lasting Value?
I have read where the Epi with '57s put in is comperable to the Gibby.
I don't know about the Ibanez, but the Epi ES-175 RI I had was built really well. I have to say that the stock neck pickup sounded like crap (the bridge p/u sounded pretty good), but I bought the Epi with the intention of changing out the pickups anyway. Ended up putting a pair of BG Pups H-90s in and they were a vast improvement over the stock p/u's! Ended up changing out the pots, switch, tailpiece and tuners too, though I could've left them alone and they would've been fine (except for the stock switch, which felt loose). I ended up selling the Epi, as I found that I wasn't getting along with the thick body, either standing up or sitting down.
I could see where the Epi would be comparable to a Gibson, after a few changes (mainly pickups). As far as lasting value? Hard to say. It probably won't hold the value like a Gibson, but for what it is, you might at least be able to break even if you decide to sell it.
Here's a pic of the Epi I owned (post-mod)...

Mudder

I had the AG-75, and the finish work, fret work, and neck are all really solid. Worth the purchase price alone. If you like their pickups and electronics, even better. However I would buy one planning on a pickup swap and new pots, caps, switch, jack. Still a great guitar for the money.

Trending Topics