Ibanez AG75 vs Epiphone ES-175

tjmicsak

Ibanez AG75 VS Epiphone ES-175 reissue.
The Epi costs more but comes with gibson pickups
Build quiality issues?
Better Tone?
Lasting Value?
I have read where the Epi with '57s put in is comperable to the Gibby.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
Ibanez AG75 VS Epiphone ES-175 reissue.
The Epi costs more but comes with gibson pickups
Build quiality issues?
Better Tone?
Lasting Value?
I have read where the Epi with '57s put in is comperable to the Gibby.

I don't know about the Ibanez, but the Epi ES-175 RI I had was built really well. I have to say that the stock neck pickup sounded like crap (the bridge p/u sounded pretty good), but I bought the Epi with the intention of changing out the pickups anyway. Ended up putting a pair of BG Pups H-90s in and they were a vast improvement over the stock p/u's! Ended up changing out the pots, switch, tailpiece and tuners too, though I could've left them alone and they would've been fine (except for the stock switch, which felt loose). I ended up selling the Epi, as I found that I wasn't getting along with the thick body, either standing up or sitting down.
I could see where the Epi would be comparable to a Gibson, after a few changes (mainly pickups). As far as lasting value? Hard to say. It probably won't hold the value like a Gibson, but for what it is, you might at least be able to break even if you decide to sell it.
Here's a pic of the Epi I owned (post-mod)...

S5000790.jpg

Mudder

Silver Supporting Member
I had the AG-75, and the finish work, fret work, and neck are all really solid. Worth the purchase price alone. If you like their pickups and electronics, even better. However I would buy one planning on a pickup swap and new pots, caps, switch, jack. Still a great guitar for the money.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom